Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

California Targets Loud Exhaust with Sound-Activated Camera Enforcement

FJ16

The loud neighbor really isn't relevant to the broad discussion of offending cars/bikes on the road. I'm all for enforcing the noise laws that people have been happily ignoring for years - although I can't really speak to how it is in CA... but I imagine they have a large number of offenders if they are giving this the green light?

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Admittedly my “don’t vote” comment was dick. My bad for having trigger finger tonight. Perhaps this is a way to generate revenue to help deal with the homeless problem or whatever else is causing the mass exodus of Californians. Can you imagine what maintenance will cost? They’ll be lucky to break even. FWIW no one hates Harley Davidson and straight piped anything more than me but I’d rather pay for rehabilitating people or clean drinking water. It’s dumb.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just like California.
The next thing you know, they will be going after "Leaf Blowers" for making too much noise.
I actually WISH that they would do that HERE, in Pennsyltucky!

Then I would not have to worry about the damned landscapers blowing grass clippings, dust, pollen, and debris all over the car I just spent 3-4 hours washing, waxing and detailing. [wink] [:(!]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
95 db is pretty loud, depending on how, at what rev level, and where they are measuring it from.

I mean according to ARA rules, that is the noise limit allowed on any rally cars competing in their series, and those are full race cars, albeit ones that must be driven on public roads during transits to get to the all-out, full speed special stages.

That being said, there are some modded Scoobies running around here that sound like they are well past that limit, even at a steady state cruise speed, let alone WOT.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Add into that all the BMW’s from Glendale!:ROFLMAO:
The Bimmers around here, especially those owned by under 30 year olds, are outright ridiculous as far as crackle pops go.

It sounds OK under some limited circumstances, but not ALL of the time, 100% of the time, regardless of throttle application/backoff. [thumbdown] [nono]

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
Just like California.
The next thing you know, they will be going after "Leaf Blowers" for making too much noise.
They might have. Didn't they outlaw any fuel powered "off road" equipment like dirtbikes, atvs, sxs, chainsaws, trimmers, and blowers?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Unless they have mirrors, brake lights, turn signals, it's illegal to drive ATV and dirtbikes on the public roads in any state. The (modified) rumor I heard was they'd eventually start requiring retailers to do electric only. Not sure how that would work for the commercial grade equipment that runs for seven+ hours every workday. Guess they'd have to carry a bank of batteries to swap? They'd probably be exempt I'd imagine.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
The Bimmers around here, especially those owned by under 30 year olds, are outright ridiculous as far as crackle pops go.

It sounds OK under some limited circumstances, but not ALL of the time, 100% of the time, regardless of throttle application/backoff. [thumbdown] [nono]
Yeah, I noticed all the young dudes in BMWs are backfiring like crazy in naturally aspirated cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
They have cut down the street racing around where I live very well.
I do however, I do believe they will soon install "Gardner Cams"

Sam4

Yeah, I noticed all the young dudes in BMWs are backfiring like crazy in naturally aspirated cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is this accomplished in the compression/exhaust stroke? How long do the pistons have to live before detonation destroys them (thankfully)?

Mike King

U.S. Air Force Veteran
This is just another push into electric "silent" cars that are "good" for the environment. If you look at history it's very weird because at the turn of the century, electric cars and trollies were the norm but then big petroleum converted all that to diesel and gasoline fuel. Now it's going the opposite direction.