Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can broken motor mount cause power loss?

As my name says, I was banging gears and broke the passenger side upper motor mount bolts. Havent dug into it yet to be sure exactly the extent. But my question is could this cause a huge power loss due to vibration being detected by the knock sensors or something like that? I got the car home but it had maybe half power. No dash lights or anything. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
As my name says, I was banging gears and broke the passenger side upper motor mount bolts. Havent dug into it yet to be sure exactly the extent. But my question is could this cause a huge power loss due to vibration being detected by the knock sensors or something like that? I got the car home but it had maybe half power. No dash lights or anything. Thanks in advance for any advice.
A lot of weird stuff can trip the knock sensors. Your engine shifting could also have broken a wire/harness somewhere, maybe pulled an intercooler hose out, etc. Check for codes if you have a reader.

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
A lot of weird stuff can trip the knock sensors. Your engine shifting could also have broken a wire/harness somewhere, maybe pulled an intercooler hose out, etc. Check for codes if you have a reader.
Thanks for the reply. Boost hoses were my first thought. After that I checked the bolts and none seem to broken...just not very tight. Specifically the chassis side. You can see where there was some movement there. Snugged them with a 3/8 ratchet and drove the car. Oddly, everything seems to be ok. Normal power, no movement to be felt. I have a call in to the local service manager to see if the mount is covered under the powertrain since the bumper to bumper ran out a couple months ago. If they will cover it I may take it in for a look since inspection is due soon anyway. In the meantime Ill get a torque wrench on those bolts.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
It definitely decrease power thats transferred to the tires. Instead its lifting the engine.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
If that center bolt snapped the popping and banging would trigger the knock sensor. Mine responded to the 2.5" charge piping i had in the car buzzing and bumping the crankcase/transmission.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
It seemed like thats what was happening. Throttle tip in felt normal, followed by a vibration at part throttle. Giving more throttle it felt like it was being restricted. Letting off the throttle I could hear the diverter valve dumping the boost so my thought was knock sensors being triggered. I posted the question because I was worried the motor was hurt when it popped out of gear and the engine raced. It seems to be fine though.