Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Can I install a turbosmart BOV without the CEL defender?

When I purchased it the defender wasn't available on Whoosh so I planned to just have the code cleared when I had my tune revision. A buddy of mine said he thought I needed it for the car to run correctly after installation. Could anyone chime in as to if I need to use the defender or not?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
When I purchased it the defender wasn't available on Whoosh so I planned to just have the code cleared when I had my tune revision. A buddy of mine said he thought I needed it for the car to run correctly after installation. Could anyone chime in as to if I need to use the defender or not?
It will run just fine, but you'll have a check engine light.

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Same. It'll run fine but the CEL will light up.

A custom tune can get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Same. It'll run fine but the CEL will light up.

A custom tune will not get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
corrected that for you :ROFLMAO:

with the current tuner updates from COBB a tuner can no longer turn off a CEL light if you are getting one. Though it could be only for the emissions stuff.

It’s recently been discussed in the smog threads. In relation to using a non stock cat and getting the P0420 codes.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
corrected that for you :ROFLMAO:

with the current tuner updates from COBB a tuner can no longer turn off a CEL light if you are getting one. It’s recently been discussed in the smog threads. In relation to using a non stock cat and getting the P0420 codes.
Is it confirmed by any of the tuners that they can’t disable the BPV code? I thought from Cobb’s notes they only stopped tuners from disabling emissions related codes.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
late response... I did not have a CEL visible from the BOV
If you get the light* just go in and look to see what was set and if its for the BPV just erase it. Problem solved until it appears again...repeat. Mine pops up every now and gain..I just go in an erase it. IM BT with 4 port Aux.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just bought qty-2 From Australian fleabay* Now to see if they show up. UK Sellers wouldn't sell to US Ebay users...FYI. At least the two I tried prompted me with this vendor will NOT sell this to US based customers.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

I just bought qty-2 From Australian fleabay* Now to see if they show up. UK Sellers wouldn't sell to US Ebay users...FYI. At least the two I tried prompted me with this vendor will NOT sell this to US based customers.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
if you don't have the ability to reverse engineer one, I'll gladly buy one from you and do it. I'm pretty sure it's just a resistor though.