Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cars Won't Make You Happy

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Oh boy where do I start. I watched the video and I noticed it covered two things that are very important to me cars and working out.

I have been weightlifting since I was 14 I've never stopped I do it religiously, and cars definitely bring me enjoyment.

I understand the video the whole thing about contentment and all that but that's just not me and it never will be.

With that said you shouldn't be doing things just to impress other people you should do it for yourself. Maybe the video should be called social media won't make you happy, and trying to be an attention hog will make you miserable. Good video though.

Last edited:

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's so sad that there are people that attach so much value to the superficial things in life in general. Be it a car, gaming PCs or the mighty bench press. I lift but I lift for me. I'm not the biggest or the smallest guy in the gym. But i bet I'm one of the happiest with my fitness accomplishments. I mod and drive fast cars but again, only for the smile it puts on MY face.

Very few cars say independence and confidence like a tiny insignificant lil run-about like the Fiesta. This country, especially, is drowning in bigger is better, the more flash the more cash mentality. But we as FiST drivers are a unique breed that accepts who we are and loves driving a non-status quo car with no mainstream cachet whatsoever. We drive a turbo econobox with pride! I say be empathetic but at the same time don't let what others think of you and yours define self. Poignant video

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I love "Q" ships. Cars that look very normal but fast. I prefer white or silver paint to blend into the traffic. You will never see me drive a car with a monster wing, wild paint, crazy exhausts and 12" wide tires. I don't want, like or need attention. Cars that look stock and run like a bat out of hell are my thing. I have had several high visibility cars and did not like the attention. Cars DO make some people happy. Try driving a FiST quickly and not smiling. Very damn few people know what a FiST is and you will not impress people saying "I drive a FiST!" But it sure makes me happy!

That video made me debate if I really want to sell my Fiesta. I went on a couple hour cruise to remind myself why I bought the car, and really decide if I want to abandon it. My question is "Do I want a new car because I don't drive the Fiesta, or is the Fiesta not the car I want?"

I try to not think about it too much. Right now I'm working on getting back in shape (I get why you guys love the gym, but after 4 straight weeks I still hate it lol), building a home server to invest in my career and I'm getting married this year. Last thing on my list should be buying a new car.

Very few cars say independence and confidence like a tiny insignificant lil run-about like the Fiesta.
I drive an SE. I love it. It makes me smile when I run a canyon and play on an off ramp. And I don't do social media but I get what is being said....you make your own happiness and if it relies on others, it will never be enough & it will fail.

SrsBsns

If you're always keeping up with the Joneses, you'll always be running in a race that has no finish line. Cars, jobs, houses, vacations, money...

People need to learn how to appreciate the moment and what they do have rather than what they don't have. It might be nihilistic to say that it doesn't matter, but it really doesn't. To me, what does matter is that we're here in the present and that we're always striving to be better. It's the appreciation of the process and the journey rather than the anticipation of an end.

The point of things like SEMA is to create inspiration and to push the boundaries of style and performance. It's to explore and expand the world of automotive culture. There are very few people that have the resources to do that while also pursuing a complete life but that doesn't mean that I can't aspire mod my car based on things I've seen at shows like that. And generally, when something is introduced at SEMA that is really innovative or unique, people find a way to re-create it and produce it on a larger scale that does make it more attainable for the people that love it.

Also, if that idiot that made the video doesn't appreciate his FD, I'll gladly take it off of his hands.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Oh boy where do I start. ...Good video though.
I really like how he spoke so clearly to this issue. Whether or not we struggle with the identity thing a little or a lot, it's super refreshing to me to hear this brilliant expose on the car (media, exercise, human?) culture and condition, and it speaks to social media in general. It's just refreshing to hear it so well articulated. Honestly much of the reason I haven't been as active here in the last year or two is I've grown tired of watching the "my dick is bigger because I have these mods/dyno sheet/wheels" circus. And I've participated in it as well and am none the better for it.

That video made me debate if I really want to sell my Fiesta. I went on a couple hour cruise to remind myself why I bought the car, and really decide if I want to abandon it. My question is "Do I want a new car because I don't drive the Fiesta, or is the Fiesta not the car I want?"

I try to not think about it too much. Right now I'm working on getting back in shape (I get why you guys love the gym, but after 4 straight weeks I still hate it lol), building a home server to invest in my career and I'm getting married this year. Last thing on my list should be buying a new car.
This is right on man. Very encouraging to read this; there is hope for humanity.

SrsBsns

I really like how he spoke so clearly to this issue. Whether or not we struggle with the identity thing a little or a lot, it's super refreshing to me to hear this brilliant expose on the car (media, exercise, human?) culture and condition, and it speaks to social media in general. It's just refreshing to hear it so well articulated. Honestly much of the reason I haven't been as active here in the last year or two is I've grown tired of watching the "my dick is bigger because I have these mods/dyno sheet/wheels" circus. And I've participated in it as well and am none the better for it.
I enjoy this forum because of the community. There are outliers here obviously, but so many people want to help others. I love being able to come here and talk to others that know the platform and can help me out when I'm not sure what to do. Or when I can pay that back to others that need help. There are some ego's, but this is one of the most level-headed forums I've been on for a while.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
I think you can see the kind of thing he talks about right on this forum. How many people make their first post to say they got the car and they already have plans to do this, that, and the other, before they've really even had a chance to drive and enjoy the car. The shopping list is almost always the same, with some variation in brands. How did they come to this list in the first place? Most likely because they saw a video or saw what "everyone" is doing. There seems to be this idea that the nearly 200 hp the car makes from Ford is totally inadequate, and you're only a real man/enthusiast/cool person if you have an accessport, a tune, an exhaust, a BOV, a modified turbo/replaced turbo, lowered, wider tires, etc. And don't get me started om "step colder spark plugs". How about just driving the car and having a great time with it. And then if there's a specific issue you want to address, address it. But if you are really having fun with it as it is, why do it? Maybe you see a different wheel you love. Go ahead, change the wheels and make the car look better in your eyes. Note that I said your eyes. But in reality what I see is everyone seems to get the same wheel, or at least the same look made by various manufacturers. If your tires wear out, you can replace them with a different model if you want something different than what you had. Maybe something will suit you better, maybe it won't.

I watch videos on youtube. I like seeing what can be done. But it doesn't make me feel like I have to do the same to measure up.

l
I get hit on this one a lot. I spent $2800 on wheels because VS-XX in Candy Teal with Gold hardware have been my dream wheels for years. I only recently had a job where I could afford to buy them. That doesn't mean I hate sub $1k wheels, but for some reason people think I do lol.

What really cracks me up is when the "Real Wheels are the best! You're stupid if you buy Replicas" dudes give me the "this guy knows" look. I don't affiliate with them.

OP
jeff

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
Not a huge fan of this video - the truth should read 'Social Media doesn't make you happy'
He refers to gym/looks/etc. too...I think the automobile is just being used as a vehicle to drive a deeper discussion on our culture of comparison and pretense. You could really put anything in the blank.

"________________ Won't Make You Happy."

- perfect skin
- a hot wife/husband
- lots of money
- a Fiesta ST
- an Oscar award
- whatever

Look at all the people with perfect looks or unlimited money and fame. The richest and most beautiful people I know (and those with the nicest cars) are kinda jerks to be honest. Maybe I don't know the right people.

On a personal note, I have just about finished rebuilding my second gen 1 Honda Insight. The car is immaculate. I upgraded everything, it has S2000 parts, beefier suspension, current hacks, a clutch switch, and way more. It looks and drives nearly like new, and it's 21 years old. Then I found one down the road that has 100,000 less miles. Do I start over and get the lower mileage cream puff, or just be happy with what I have? Does it really matter? When is enough enough? Long story short, I thought long and hard on it and decided to just enjoy my car and quit looking for a better one. So all this is pretty fresh on my mind when it comes to the addiction to have the next and better thing. It felt really peaceful to just make that decision and enjoy what I have.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I've had a very love hate relationship with my car.
It is fun to drive
Has taken me cross country
But the issues ive had with it, maybe give it more character?? Idk sometimes i feel like im too critical of the car and how i use it because im 35, and folks i guess are expecting me to grow out of the flashy car phase.

Not too sure what im trying to say. Other than i tend to over analyze things. And other people injecting their opinions tend to muddy the waters.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Having Money does not make you happy. If you are unhappy without it you will be unhappy with it.
I learned that a long time ago.
Having a hot wife/girlfriend means nothing if she does not stimulate your mind in my opinion.
A women with a brain can be very sexy having the figure to go with it just gets the lust going.
I have always liked my cars for the sake of driving. Its that simple, If a car is fun if I can drive it how I want too? I tend to like it a lot. sometime‘s I grow bored with a particular car and I sell it. Only to find another car that is fun to drive. Sure I can admit a car that has nice looks can be appealing but if it drives like crap its like yawn who wants a Garage queen.
Modifications are only to enhance the driving experience i.e. moar fun. I upgraded my car to a S280 turbo its fucking stupid fast now . I am like a delighted teenager driving it in the words of one of my friends who drives his car like a grandma and admits it. I don’t, never have never will.
Except when driving family members around . I respect peoples desires, I did not drive my Dad and my aunts and uncles around Chicago for years by driving hard. R.I.P. Dad.
Place and time basically.
Yet the main thing is ya I spend money on mods and Ya I am a musician and sound engineer so I buy synths and music gear as well. I love writing music its my heart and soul. I love driving as much as I love making music. I love being of service to others.
I love the camaraderie of car meets and hanging with my car buddies looking at cars and appreciating them. Nothing wrong with that, Its a hobby.

The main thing here is to have perspective. What I see in that video is the guy learned to have perspective. It sounds like when he started out he didn’t. Its cool he made the video to help the person who might not have found the perspective.
In the end..
One has to be happy with themselves first outside things are outside things that will maybe provide fleeting moments of enjoyment but cannot replace feeling good about oneself. If one can feel good about themselves then others will feel good about them
You cannot transmit what you do not have.

This is not about Ego its about self esteem.

P.S. to PunkST you do not have to grow out of your car phase if you are happy with yourself . IF you enjoy it you enjoy it what other people think really does not matter.

I have many years on you and I still drive how I like to drive . Whatever if someone thinks its immature.:ROFLMAO:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
My wife and I have this conversation frequently.. Social media has ruined the world. Has made many of us think the pinnacle of life is to make others think we have a perfect life even though those with the most "perfect" looking social media accounts certainly don't. Deleting social media was one of the best decisions I've made.

Also - Highly recommend reading "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" by Mark Manson which puts things in great perspective.

That said, my car does make me happy although I'm not a professional driver. As does recently hitting a 500 lb. deadlift although I'm not a bodybuilder and my new xbox even though I'm not a pro gamer. Not because I want validation from anyone or because physical objects make me happy, but because what I do with them makes me happy. I love to drive, lift, and get screamed at when I kill people in warzone. All put a smile on my face!

Social media has ruined the world. Has made many of us think the pinnacle of life is to make others think we have a perfect life even though those with the most "perfect" looking social media accounts certainly don't. Deleting social media was one of the best decisions I've made.
Copy that! Best decision I ever made, too! [twothumb]

Ford Community Posts