Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can vent to atmosphere

MOFiST

CFM actually called me and asked it I wanted a Race Red vice the powdered red, lol. I was like sure :)
So I'm curious are you running a catch can as well? Can't see your sig on my phone.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
looks good JPGC...Keep us posted as to how this works out...

Now that you have the CFM installed did you remove the breather tube from crankcase to intake and cap both sides?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
looks good JPGC...Keep us posted as to how this works out...

Now that you have the CFM installed did you remove the breather tube from crankcase to intake and cap both sides?
I left the tubes alone as I have a catch can installed as well.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I left the tubes alone as I have a catch can installed as well.

OIC...But the OCC you have is for the PCV line...

I thought the primary purpose / benefit of installing a breather cap was to eliminate the breather line which recirculates vented hot air back into the intake?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
OIC...the OCC you have is for the PCV line...

I thought the primary purpose of installing a breather cap was to eliminate the breather line to intake?
Not necessarily, just to vent excess pressure and hopefully reduce blowby through the PCV further. I'm going to run both for now and see how much I'm catching in the catch can. Before the breather, I have been catching about 1/2 an ounce every 1500 miles or so. We will see if that changes. Hopefully I don't get a gift of a messy engine bay due to this, lol. We will see.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Not necessarily, just to vent excess pressure and hopefully reduce blowby through the PCV further. I'm going to run both for now and see how much I'm catching in the catch can. Before the breather, I have been catching about 1/2 an ounce every 1500 miles or so. We will see if that changes. Hopefully I don't get a gift of a messy engine bay due to this, lol. We will see.
I read the primary purpose / benefit of installing a breather cap was to eliminate the breather line which recirculates vented hot air back into the intake...

MOFiST

I read the primary purpose / benefit of installing a breather cap was to eliminate the breather line which recirculates vented hot air back into the intake...
Has either of you guys examined the breather tube going to the intake? I was told by a guy on another forum that his was bone dry.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I'm more concerned with oil making it back to the intake. Personally, I still want some positive crankcase ventilation, so I'm keeping the PCV lines. You will lose the positive ventilation if you remove the PCV and you will just be venting excess pressure.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Has either of you guys examined the breather tube going to the intake? I was told by a guy on another forum that his was bone dry.
The one on the driver's side of mine is dry, but the passenger side is a totally different ballgame.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
Are you referring to the driver's side hose?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm more concerned with oil making it back to the intake. Personally, I still want some positive crankcase ventilation, so I'm keeping the PCV lines. You will lose the positive ventilation if you remove the PCV and you will just be venting excess pressure.
You might want to try a few WOT pulls and then remove the filter and see if there is any residue oil pooling on the top of the CFM baffles....I'm interested in this as it sounds promising but still somewhat skeptical given the number of complaints I've heard...

Please keep us posted!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Are you referring to the driver's side hose?
yes..that's it...its the crankcase breather line that is recirculated back into the intake....supposedly the CFM eliminates the need for this...

JPGC

2000 Post Club
yes..that's it...its the crankcase breather line that is recirculated back into the intake....supposedly the CFM eliminates the need for this...
I'm considering deleting that hose, lol. I miss understood you earlier. I'm going to drive a little with it connected to see how it is. I've got to figure a way to properly plug it if I decide to remove it.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
You might want to try a few WOT pulls and then remove the filter and see if there is any residue oil pooling on the top of the CFM baffles....I'm interested in this as it sounds promising but still somewhat skeptical given the number of complaints I've heard...

Please keep us posted!
Will definitely do!

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I'm considering deleting that hose, lol. I miss understood you earlier. I'm going to drive a little with it connected to see how it is. I've got to figure a way to properly plug it if I decide to remove it.
thats a good idea to wait first and see how the CFM works out.......

If the CFM works out you can purchase the caps and clamps at any auto store....

JPGC

2000 Post Club
thats a good idea to wait first and see how the CFM works out.......

If the CFM works out you can purchase the caps and clamps at any auto store....
Btw, the way that this is designed, it changes nothing under vacuum...only under boost and wot will it do anything to vent excess pressure.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Btw, the way that this is designed, it changes nothing under vacuum...only under boost and wot will it do anything to vent excess pressure.

yes I understand....the breather cap has a built-in check valve...a very novel / creative design approach!

JPGC

2000 Post Club
yes I understand....the cap has a built-in check valve...a very novel / creative design approach!
Lol, I wasn't saying you didn't but for those who may read this that don't know. I didn't want you to take it that way.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Lol, I wasn't saying you didn't but for those who may read this that don't know. I didn't want you to take it that way.
sorry..I got caught up in the conversation....good stuff! :) I am very interested in this!