Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Catch can vent to atmosphere

MOFiST

I'm considering deleting that hose, lol. I miss understood you earlier. I'm going to drive a little with it connected to see how it is. I've got to figure a way to properly plug it if I decide to remove it.
So that hose is dry. I wonder if this isn't a real issue. I'd leave that drivers side hose in for ventilation but that's just me. Anyway let us know how it goes. Quite curious about this.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
So that hose is dry. I wonder if this isn't a real issue. I'd leave that drivers side hose in for ventilation but that's just me. Anyway let us know how it goes. Quite curious about this.
Me too, lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
If the CFM breather cap works as advertised there is no need for the breather hose ....

I've not seen any oil accumulate in that hose either...but thats not the primary reason to do so....As some "claim" (I haven't seen concrete data) that eliminating the breather hose to the intake slightly improves performance by eliminating the vented crank case hot air that is recirculated back in through the intake FWTW....

MOFiST

If the CFM breather cap works as advertised there is no need for the breather hose ....

I've not seen any oil accumulate in that hose either...but that not the reason to do so....

Some "claim" (I haven't seen concrete data) that eliminating the breather hose to the intake slightly improves performance by eliminating the vented crank case hot air that is recirculated back in through the intake....
The difference is that the cap burbles out to atmos whereas the hose is a constant vacuum source. That may be a non issue and simply for emissions idk. Is the FoST PCV setup the same as ours?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The difference is that the cap burbles out to atmos whereas the hose is a constant vacuum source. That may be a non issue and simply for emissions idh. Is the FoST PCV setup the same as ours?
I think your thinking of the PCV hose line? NO?

That intake breather hose is for reduced emissions....And you could just add a VTA filter to that hose line and plug the intake

meFiSTo

This @#$% is exactly why I poke around in these forums. But I am a little confused. It would be great, at some point, if someone did a comprehensive "how this works/goes together" kind of thing (not talking about the CFM cap replacement/breather thing). I read the Focus ST thread and think I more or less understand what's going on with the cap replacement/breather assembly. However, I'm wondering about adding a OCC into the PCV plumbing. There was a package that I used for my old SVT Focus (it constantly captured excess oil). I'd like to see how folks are doing this with the Fiesta ST. Any guidance would be handy.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
The intake sucks when the engine is on is what I'm saying
I'm not sure coupling the hose to the intake would create that much of a vacuum effect? I believe the breather hose is simply recirculated back moreso for emissions purposes...

MOFiST

I'm not sure coupling the hose to the intake would create that much of a vacuum effect? I think its recirculated back moreso for emissions purposes...
Lol I think I've lost you he he. So I'm talking about the drivers side hose from the valve cover to the turbo compressor inlet. I thought you were saying this cap replaced that hose. My point is that feed vents with suction out of the valve cover into the turbo compressor. The cap bleeds out to atmos.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Lol I think I've lost you he he. So I'm talking about the drivers side hose from the valve cover to the turbo compressor inlet. I thought you were saying this cap replaced that hose. My point is that feed vents with suction out of the valve cover into the turbo compressor. The cap bleeds out to atmos.
No you didn't lose me ;) There was quite a bit of discussion on the FoST Forum regarding installing the CFM cap and then removing the breather hose from valve cover to intake and capping those off...now would that be applicable to the FiST? TBD I suppose...

MOFiST

No you didn't lose me ;) There was quite a bit of discussion on the FoST Forum regarding installing the CFM cap and removing the hose from valve cover to intake and cap those off...
Sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart ass either.
So do you know if the FoST PCV setup is like ours? What's the consensus over there? I bet there is lots of divided opinions no doubt.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Sorry I wasn't trying to be a smart ass either.
So do you know if the FoST PCV setup is like ours? What the consensus over there?
oh no I didn't take it that way either! :)

I'm not sure if it is a similar setup? I took a leap and assumed they are (which normally gets me in trouble by assuming they are the same!) haha

rodmoe

5000 Post Club

OK help me out here the above pic is our PCV system with the yellow line being the line to cam/valve cover from the crank case vent and it has no valve in it it looks like this

Now the curved line to the turbo inlet is always pulling vacuum and the case vent has no valve so it is open all the time I think the longer blue line from the cam/vavle cover only works under vacuum and is check valved to prevent boost pressure from getting back into the engine via the cam cover. Now how does this vent on the oil cap Help?? to me it would be pulling oil fumes from the cover into the turbo inlet or the intake manifold under extreme neg vacuum like closed throttle and such.. Either way it feeds into the intake syetem Right ?? What did I miss ??

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Now how does this vent on the oil cap Help?? to me it would be pulling oil fumes from the cover into the turbo inlet or the intake manifold under extreme neg vacuum like closed throttle and such.. Either way it feeds into the intake syetem Right ?? What did I miss ??
thanks for posting the diagram Rod!

I'm not sure if this answers your question....But from my understanding the CFM vent cap has a built in check valve which is closed under vacuum conditions and releases under positive pressure...my understanding that after installing the CFM the blue hose shown in the first diagram (rt side) is deleted and both ends capped....

rodmoe

5000 Post Club

Ok the above are our valve cover as its called in the Manual the point of showing this is that the two sides are joined and vacuum could be pulled across the whole of the valve cover under full throttle isn't the turbo pulling max Vacuum on the short tube though it could be offset by crankcase pressure at high rpm too and depending on used intake system there may be little or now vacuum on the short tube as it is a open intake..
Ok well let Us know how this works as the proof is in the pudding they say ..

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

Ok the above are our valve cover as its called in the Manual the point of showing this is that the two sides are joined and vacuum could be pulled across the whole of the valve cover under full throttle isn't the turbo pulling max Vacuum on the short tube though it could be offset by crankcase pressure at high rpm too and depending on used intake system there may be little or no vacuum on the short tube as it is a open intake..
Ok well let Us know how this works as the proof is in the pudding they say ..
Very helpful!! thanks for posting all these diagrams Rod...

OP
C
Thread Starter #57
I am still waiting on my breather in the mail but currently I am running the intake hose deleted, replaced with K&N mini filter. I have since remove my catch can all together and am running with another mini filter right onto the PCV and that PCV hose removed. Car is running as strong as ever. I have felt no measurable change in how the car responds except now I know there isn't a single bit of hot oil vapor entering my intake charge. My point for doing this was only for the benefits of that alone. Will or could be some problem down the road? Only time will tell. Mostly I am interested in the breather because it looks cleaner then the goofy filter I have on the PCV now.

It is relatively mild here on the westcoast and I am running stage3 right now on the stock cooler and am seeing an average charge temps of about 20deg over ambient. The highest I have noted was 29deg after some spirited driving and boost spikes to 24psi. These are numbers taken from the AP.

Keep you posted for leaks when the breather arrives next week.

MOFiST

I am still waiting on my breather in the mail but currently I am running the intake hose deleted, replaced with K&N mini filter. I have since remove my catch can all together and am running with another mini filter right onto the PCV and that PCV hose removed. Car is running as strong as ever. I have felt no measurable change in how the car responds except now I know there isn't a single bit of hot oil vapor entering my intake charge. My point for doing this was only for the benefits of that alone. Will or could be some problem down the road? Only time will tell. Mostly I am interested in the breather because it looks cleaner then the goofy filter I have on the PCV now.

It is relatively mild here on the westcoast and I am running stage3 right now on the stock cooler and am seeing an average charge temps of about 20deg over ambient. The highest I have noted was 29deg after some spirited driving and boost spikes to 24psi. These are numbers taken from the AP.

Thanks for sharing. Can you put up a pic of your filter setup right now?

JPGC

2000 Post Club
This @#$% is exactly why I poke around in these forums. But I am a little confused. It would be great, at some point, if someone did a comprehensive "how this works/goes together" kind of thing (not talking about the CFM cap replacement/breather thing). I read the Focus ST thread and think I more or less understand what's going on with the cap replacement/breather assembly. However, I'm wondering about adding a OCC into the PCV plumbing. There was a package that I used for my old SVT Focus (it constantly captured excess oil). I'd like to see how folks are doing this with the Fiesta ST. Any guidance would be handy.
If you look at my Build thread, there is a link to my occ/ air oil separator setup. I'm using a moroso catch can, but you could use what you like.

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member

good info... thanks!