Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cleaning salty carpet (for those of you that drive in the winter)

What's the best way (if there is one) to get the rock salt out of the carpet? I have rubber mats, but I'm probably going to start putting a towel down on top of that for extra protection. I hate winter in Ohio!

OP
mcummings182
Thread Starter #3

Harvick

1000 Post Club
I've done the 50/50 solution before and it does work but your car stinks for a few days. Haven't tried the salt erasure but I have read good reviews about it.

I've done the 50/50 solution before and it does work but your car stinks for a few days. Haven't tried the salt erasure but I have read good reviews about it.
Baking soda will get rid of the smell. Just dust the carpet with it then vacuum it up.
As for salt eraser I have it. It does well on light salt stains but if you have heavy built up deposits it doesn't get rid of those.

Best solution is weathertech digital fit floor mats. But that's before any salt stains.

Yea weather tech digifit are very good but I feel like the part that sort of covers the dead pedal only goes up half way.... :-( everything else is absolutely amazing. I just don't like that it doesn't go up high enough on the dead pedal as it does everywhere else.... sorry still asleep might be repetitive.

A detailer with a hot water extractor might be a good bet also.

This will probably be my first car I'll run with rubber mats from the start. It is unreal how much dirt gets into fabric mats. This past summer I was too cheap to take ours to get properly cleaned so I took a powerwasher to em. Worked reasonably well actually.

But yeah, rubber mats FTW. My corworkers all use them. Dish soap and a brush, rinse, a little armorall style product, and you're in business.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Yea weather tech digifit are very good but I feel like the part that sort of covers the dead pedal only goes up half way.... :-( everything else is absolutely amazing. I just don't like that it doesn't go up high enough on the dead pedal as it does everywhere else.... sorry still asleep might be repetitive.
Ya I think I will rig something in winter for the dead pedal area. Much easier than getting the salt out in spring. Best I do is hot water soak and a good wet/dry shop vacuum. Rinse and repeat until clean.

Detailer for 11 years. Shop vac, decent cleaner (diluted simple green), brush and bucket of water. Spray simple green on area, grab a cup and the bucket of water and saturate the area and scrub. Turn shop vac on and vac that up, keep the shop vac on as your repeat this cycle a few times. Once done wipe with a clean towel and let the car run for a bit with the heat on.