Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intake valve cleaning

It amazes me how many mechanics don’t even know what this is. Called a few shops asking for a quote for the work and many think I’m just talking about injection cleaning. I’ve been recommended to use the chemical cleaners for the DI fuel system. Correct me if I’m wrong but that wouldn’t do much right since the fuel isn’t sprayed over our valves? Got one quote for $700 and another for $950 but I can buy a walnut sprayer for half the cost or less. Thinking of just doing that. Anyways, just wanted to see what everyone else has done. What walnut sprayers have you bought or other methods that have been used?
Thanks!!

Last edited:

CSM

1000 Post Club
I don't have any personal experience with this, however from what I have read, walnut blasting would for sure be the route I take.
I had it done locally for $450 when my car went under for some major work last year. It really helped unlock a bit of peformance and improved gas mileage for sure

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I belive that it can be done with the head in place. Rotate the engine until a valve is closed, keep everything else masked off, blast away. Repeat for every valve. No need to "clean" the mating surface between valve and head since that should be clean/sealing already.

I have a mechanic buddy that purchaced a "cheap" walnut blaster. He said it worked horribly and ended up wasting a ton of walnut media (which is expensive) so he sent it back. Food for thought.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
It amazes me how many mechanics don’t even know what this is. Called a few shops asking for a quote for the work and many think I’m just talking about injection cleaning. I’ve been recommended to use the chemical cleaners for the DI fuel system. Correct me if I’m wrong but that wouldn’t do much right since the fuel isn’t sprayed over our valves? Got one quote for $700 and another for $950 but I can buy a walnut sprayer for half the cost or less. Thinking of just doing that. Anyways, just wanted to see what everyone else has done. What walnut sprayers have you bought or other methods that have been used?
Thanks!!
I did a lot of research on buildup on the intake valves when I got the car, because it was the first DI engine that I had had, and I was concerned about whether it might be a problem. It appears that the primary makers that have an issue with this are Audi and VW, and that Ford has done some things to eliminate or mitigate the problem of carbon buildup on the intake valves.These included an injection timing calibration which allows the injectors to spray the valves slightly before the valves close.
You are correct that in a DI engine, the gas is not generally sprayed over the intake valves to "wash" them. To the extent that there is or may be some build up on the intake valves in our cars despite Ford's efforts to prevent it, there are some things that you can do to prevent it or slow it down. These include:
- avoiding short trips where possible, making sure that the car is fully warmed up to operating temperature each time you drive it
-driving it hard sometimes, i.e. the "Italian tune up"
-using only top tier premium gas, and
-using only a high quality full synthetic oil
-some people feel that a catch can helps, some don't. I have not felt the need for one.

Last edited:
OP
C
Thread Starter #8
The only way to do this is partial engine disassembly, pulling the head off, correct? @CSM, was that price due to your motor already being disassembled with that other work?
From what I understand and another member commented, you don’t need to remove the head. Just the intake manifold. Im sure you’d get a “better” clean opening her up more. But haven’t seen too many go this route. And no. That was the quote for just removing the manifold and walnut blasting. Crazy how much they can charge!

Thej best way to insure that the valves stay clean is with Water/Methanol injection into the intake tract. Unfortunately none of the current Meth kit makers actually provide a trickle feed specifically to clean the intake valves. BTW, many years back I had an Edelbrock Water Vapor Injection system mounted to the carb on my 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I used to tow my boat. With 195K on the original 305 I built myself a 350 to replace it and out of curiosity I pulled the heads apart on the 305 just to see how it looked. Piston tops looked brand spanking new in spite of poor ring seal and the intake valves also looked brand spanking new. Exhausts showed some carbon buildup from the poor ring seal but is was basically a thin film. BTW, on a 720 mile drive I would go thru about 1 gallon of water methanol mix.

Note, I contacted one of the Meth kit makers and asked them about a valve cleaning cycle and they told me quite specifically that they weren't the least bit interested in providing a cleaning function. Because all the money was in people looking for more power. I view that as our fault, because if enough of us demanded a valve cleaning cycle it would become available.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thanks!!
Dude in the The MnST Community here does the walnut blasting for $300*

A 4-port fuel system helps clean the injectors also.

Another option is to feed seafoam into the intake via the MAP port under idle conditions. Once the whole bottle is in, you shut the motor down and let it sit for 30 mins. Then let the car idle and go for a drive. It will blow a ton of white smoke for a bit, but it will also THEORETICALLY burn crap off the valves.

OP
C
Thread Starter #16
Dude in the The MnST Community here does the walnut blasting for $300*
🤣 that’s crazy! I stoped calling after the fifth call here. Everyone wants top dollar just because you have to remove the intake manifold. I have my blaster on order to say the least.

OP
C
Thread Starter #17
Thej best way to insure that the valves stay clean is with Water/Methanol injection into the intake tract. Unfortunately none of the current Meth kit makers actually provide a trickle feed specifically to clean the intake valves. BTW, many years back I had an Edelbrock Water Vapor Injection system mounted to the carb on my 1985 Monte Carlo SS that I used to tow my boat. With 195K on the original 305 I built myself a 350 to replace it and out of curiosity I pulled the heads apart on the 305 just to see how it looked. Piston tops looked brand spanking new in spite of poor ring seal and the intake valves also looked brand spanking new. Exhausts showed some carbon buildup from the poor ring seal but is was basically a thin film. BTW, on a 720 mile drive I would go thru about 1 gallon of water methanol mix.

Note, I contacted one of the Meth kit makers and asked them about a valve cleaning cycle and they told me quite specifically that they weren't the least bit interested in providing a cleaning function. Because all the money was in people looking for more power. I view that as our fault, because if enough of us demanded a valve cleaning cycle it would become available.
Let’s all demand one!! We can buy a batch of a larger quantity as a group!! 🤣 if we could get enough people I’d be in 👍🏽