Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Cobb Front & Rear Sway Bar Kit & Sport Springs Released

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I don't understand your question.
What Tirerack product?

Dave
It's not even re-branded. I don't really care so long as parts are available.

Tirerack has the eibach sway kit for cheaper. Was asking if there's a difference so I don't have to spend the extra cash on the cobb set for no reason.

And that is true about the filters but cobb is selling them at the same price if I'm not mistaken, not at a mark up. So that's a different situation than the sway kit if they really are just eibach copies for a higher price.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Anybody have the differences between the two yet? Might just go with the tirerack eibach kit if it's the same and cheaper. Red would look better with my black ST anyway. Ha.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I have always found that Tirerack has very good prices on Eibach products.
I guess the ONLY choice you have to make is the COLOR.

Dave

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
So since I have coilovers already, who in SoCal wants to have their ST star in the official Cobb Tuning Fiesta ST springs install video? MSRP-20% w/free install (not at ModBargains, freelance weekend work I do for Cobb)

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I have always found that Tirerack has very good prices on Eibach products.
I guess the ONLY choice you have to make is the COLOR.

Dave
Yeah, it looks that way. I'll probably go Tire Rack then to save money and the red will go well with my car.

rooSTer

1000 Post Club
Yeah, it looks that way. I'll probably go Tire Rack then to save money and the red will go well with my car.
Get the Eibach one and put the savings towards more mods. Nobody will really see what's down there.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Cobb got back to me today the sway bars. Here's their response, copy and pasted:

"Hello,

No worries at all! It's always smart to shop around and find the best solution for your application.

We currently offer Whiteline anti-sway bars. While both Eibach and Whiteline are extremely reputable, these particular products in question are constructed differently and have their own pros-cons. The Whiteline anti-sway bars we sell are solid, whereas the Eibach bars are hollow. Here's a great tech write-up on the differences between the two construction methods. Either way you go, I'm certain you'll be pleased and see a dramatic difference in performance versus your stock application.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thank you,
Matt Bryant"

So I guess that explains the price differences between their's and TireRacks. Hope this helps!!

They provided a link also to a write up comparing the two types of sway bars.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Hollow%20vs%20Solid%20Swaybar.pdf

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Pretty decent write-up from Whiteline. It is worth noting that the rear sway bar is all unsprung mass where the front is mostly all sprung mass due to how they are attached.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I didn't read all of it and maybe I should on my own. But for the sake of time, is there a better option between the two?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I would suggest springs first and use sway bars as a tuning part. Going with stiffer springs will limit the body roll, which will change the ft-lbs/deg of the sway bar since you will have less degrees of twist in the bar due to the reduction in suspension articulation. Starting with sway bars and not changing springs seems backwards to me. Given the ST's tail happy rear twist beam, I am not sure adding an additional sway bar is such a good idea. For 90% of FWD drivers, their driving style causes way more understeer and over stiffening the rear is a band-aid. I went down this path a decade ago with my ZX3 and realized much later that it was my braking points that was the problem. I would overload the front tires and induce understeer. Adding sway bars, stiff rear springs, and stiff rear shocks were just methods of masking the real problem.

Springs and dampers (or pick springs that work with the factory dampers like the Mountune springs) first and fine tune with sway bars and tire pressure. With less articulation from stiffer springs, I would then go with the lightest rear sway bar since making the twist beam heavier just increases the unsprung weight. The less articulation would mean less stress in the sway bar, which would permit a hollow sway bar. In all of the rear suspensions I work with, they all use a form of a hollow tranverse beam that functions like a sway bar.

Also remember that sway bars only work in a corner where one side is compressed and the other is extended. They do nothing to aid in braking or acceleration traction or change the cg. Springs change dive, roll, squat, and cg. For the money, you will get way more out of a set of springs than sway bars.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
That's true. I wasn't going to drop mine with springs but you're right about them helping more often than a sway bar would. Makes me rethink about not dropping my car. I might go with the pro kit over the H&R springs because they advertise a smaller drop. Just don't want to drop it too much with the shitty city roads around me

And has anybody put the exhaust hangers on? Are they worth it?

I have them. Definitely worth it. Seem identical to kartboy or torque mounts. The stock rubber mounts are like bubble gum.

meFiSTo

Cobb got back to me today the sway bars. Here's their response, copy and pasted:

"Hello,

No worries at all! It's always smart to shop around and find the best solution for your application.

We currently offer Whiteline anti-sway bars. While both Eibach and Whiteline are extremely reputable, these particular products in question are constructed differently and have their own pros-cons. The Whiteline anti-sway bars we sell are solid, whereas the Eibach bars are hollow. Here's a great tech write-up on the differences between the two construction methods. Either way you go, I'm certain you'll be pleased and see a dramatic difference in performance versus your stock application.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to let me know!

Thank you,
Matt Bryant"

So I guess that explains the price differences between their's and TireRacks. Hope this helps!!

They provided a link also to a write up comparing the two types of sway bars.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/bulletins/Hollow%20vs%20Solid%20Swaybar.pdf

I'm confused by this. From what I can tell both the Eibach and Cobb products have front hollow and rear solid bars. I've got the mountune springs waiting to go on the car (probably not till the spring). I figure maybe these could help incrementally settle the car in corners on HPDE days. Anyway, some back and forth here suggests that the Cobb product is solid, but from the literature I've found online, they both feature tubular front/solid rear setups. Am I misreading?

I'm confused by this. From what I can tell both the Eibach and Cobb products have front hollow and rear solid bars. I've got the mountune springs waiting to go on the car (probably not till the spring). I figure maybe these could help incrementally settle the car in corners on HPDE days. Anyway, some back and forth here suggests that the Cobb product is solid, but from the literature I've found online, they both feature tubular front/solid rear setups. Am I misreading?
Their response is confusing. It seems at though they're making a general statement about sway bar construction and not specific to the Fiesta, as they do sell both Eibach and Whiteline bars for other applications.