Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Critique my plan - Antenna Paint Issue

So I've discovered my "new to me" Fiesta has what I now know is a common issue. The clear/paint is peeling up around edges of the roof antenna. SO FAR, there isn't any rust. The previous owner appears to have touched up the paint/clear and I've added another layer during my ownership. My plan is to install an aftermarket "shark fin" antenna cover. It is designed to go over the stock antenna fairing and has a substantially larger footprint (approximately 3.75 inches by 6.75 inches per the sellers information). Yes, I realize that scales out a bit large for a car the size of a Fiesta, but everything has a down side. This would put it substantially wider at the base, fully covering the "peeled" area with a decent overlap onto the "good" paint. The antenna cover has a "gasket" made of a single, form fitted piece of 3M trim tape, a product I've had VERY good luck with in the past both for holding ability and waterproofing. Washing the car last night, I was astonished at how much flex there is in the roof panel. I suspect the paint issues around the antenna base are caused by the roof flexing more at the antenna base than the paint can handle without fracturing, but that's just a guess.

So, here's the feedback part: Is this a good idea? Any tricks/tips for getting a good "seal" around the base when I put the new antenna on? Do I need to try to put pressure on the roof from below (possibly by removing the dome light fixture) in order to get a good seal? Do I need to warm/heat either the paint or 3m adhesive (seems like I did when I used it before)? The good news is if this works, the Fiesta (Magnetic paint) will here-to-fore be know as "Jaws", so the "car needs a nickname" issue is also solved. Thanks for reading the longish post and for any feedback.

Last edited:
Following this one as the paint is peeling around mine too and the top of the inner hatch opening flaked away also with some rusting (unlimited mile/age on corrosion thank God). Gonna be going to the dealer eventually to cash in on that warranty.

I understand what you are trying to do with the sharkfin antenna covering the problem area. I had this antenna corrosion issue and Ford fixed under warranty. When the body shop removed the antenna a large swath of paint and corrosion came off with the base!!! You will be putting a bandaid on a bigger problem than you may realize. The body shop sanded down a majority of the roof top and did a respray. I actually went onto the property after hours and saw they were in the midst of masking and sanding the roof panel.

OP
K
Thread Starter #4
The first Ford dealer I talked to basically told me to get lost, it wasn't covered. Reading Ford's warranty info, unfortunately, I think they're right as it's not a perforation and likely won't be until after the car is out of warranty. I may try another dealership or two before I give up on that, though.

This may be a bit of a bandaid, but if it's coming out of my pocket, it's a bandaid I'll probably slap on for now.

OP
K
Thread Starter #5
Following this one as the paint is peeling around mine too and the top of the inner hatch opening flaked away also with some rusting (unlimited mile/age on corrosion thank God). Gonna be going to the dealer eventually to cash in on that warranty.
Just noticed this part and am curious, how do you have "unlimited mile/age on corrosion"? Is that an aftermarket warranty purchase? Everything I'm seeing from Ford is 5 year.

Just noticed this part and am curious, how do you have "unlimited mile/age on corrosion"? Is that an aftermarket warranty purchase? Everything I'm seeing from Ford is 5 year.
My local ford dealer is awesome and will make sure customers know about this. It's actually a Ford standard warranty but most of the manuals and paper work that mention this get removed so the dealerships don't have to deal with it and eat the costs. Paint is only covered for 5 years but...let it develop a little rust😉😉 and boom they have to honor the corrosion warranty and if they dont want to go to Ford Motor.com to find the info amd throw in their faces. But like I said the dealership I use is very honest and educates its customers.

OP
K
Thread Starter #8
Just an update: I've ordered the "shark fin" antenna cover and will update when it arrives. I've also reached out to a high school friend who is a pretty talented painter. I may end up doing "a little of both" as far as fixing vs just slapping on the antenna cover. My thought is if I pull the antenna first, I can see what it looks like under the antenna and have my friend look it over. Options would range from a sand/"touch up" under the area under the antenna cover to a POR 15 treatment followed by cover installation to just putting down the cover if everything looks decent to going to war with the Ford dealership if there is active rust underneath. Further bulletins as events warrant.

My local ford dealer is awesome and will make sure customers know about this. It's actually a Ford standard warranty but most of the manuals and paper work that mention this get removed so the dealerships don't have to deal with it and eat the costs. Paint is only covered for 5 years but...let it develop a little rust😉😉 and boom they have to honor the corrosion warranty and if they dont want to go to Ford Motor.com to find the info amd throw in their faces. But like I said the dealership I use is very honest and educates its customers.
can you link this please? Everything I’m seeing is 5year/unlimited miles

can you link this please? Everything I’m seeing is 5year/unlimited miles
Well turns out I was mistaken only my dealership offers this as a freebie due to the salt roads and FOMOCO having screwy paint jobs. Sorry folks😢. On the plus side they do know how to keep a customer happy and the cars they sell looking good for the long haul.

OP
K
Thread Starter #11
jaws.jpg

So here's a bit of an update. I got the "shark fin" antenna today. It fairly easily slides over the existing antenna base and seems match the contours of the roof. It leaves you with a nice overlap around the edges of the antenna base. I would guess probably at least 3/4 inch on every side. I'm not ready to permanently attach it yet, as I'm having a friend's shop look at it later this week to see if they recommend any "prep" first. Linky to product: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCZ6ROE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

BTW, I'm now calling the car "Jaws". My wife is calling it "Baby Shark". :confused:

OP
K
Thread Starter #12
A bit of a further update: I took the car in to my local Ford dealership today. The service manager was pretty decent, but also said he would be surprised if Ford covered it because the P.O. appears to have done "paint touch up" around the peeled paint. He said ultimately it will be Ford's call. I asked him "Just so I understand, it would have been better to let it rust than to try to limit the car's exposure by touching up the peeling paint?" (Sheepish grin/shoulder shrug) Him: "Yeah, probably from Ford's perspective."

I also learned that the car, despite being a 2017, has an "in service" date of April of 2019. This both helps and hurts. It helps because I'm still WELL within the corrosion warranty. In fact, is should be covered for another year and a half. It hurts because, assuming the PO noticed it earlier this year, he could have taken it in under the 3 year/36 given the in service date and Ford would have given him no issue with the claim per the service manager. Instead he tried to fix it. :confused:

I'm holding out on doing the "shark antenna" until I see how "Ford vs. Kazoospec" plays out.

OP
K
Thread Starter #14
I have the same problem and was thinking about doing the same thing with the shark fin. How did yours turn out?
I'm still in a bit of a holding pattern. I found out my car, despite being a 2017, has an "in service" date of April of 2019. This ends up being relevant because the corrosion warranty won't be up for another year and a half. I've currently got a warranty claim in with Ford about the antenna issue and some other bubbling around the bottom of the hatch. I probably won't cover up the antenna port until either Ford fixes it or I decide for sure I don't want to take them "to the mattresses" on the warranty claim.

I strongly suspect it would/will work if I decide to go that way, but I haven't done so yet.

I'm still in a bit of a holding pattern. I found out my car, despite being a 2017, has an "in service" date of April of 2019. This ends up being relevant because the corrosion warranty won't be up for another year and a half. I've currently got a warranty claim in with Ford about the antenna issue and some other bubbling around the bottom of the hatch. I probably won't cover up the antenna port until either Ford fixes it or I decide for sure I don't want to take them "to the mattresses" on the warranty claim.

I strongly suspect it would/will work if I decide to go that way, but I haven't done so yet.
I understand. My car is out of warranty so I’m gonna go ahead and do the shark fin thing and put some touch up paint on it. Hopefully that’ll keep it from getting worse

OP
K
Thread Starter #16
I understand. My car is out of warranty so I’m gonna go ahead and do the shark fin thing and put some touch up paint on it. Hopefully that’ll keep it from getting worse
If the warranty angle doesn't work out, my plan is to pull the stock antenna, coat the inside and out with POR 15, reinstall the stock antenna mount then add the "shark fin" over top of it. I haven't decided yet whether to do the work myself or take it to a shop.

If the warranty angle doesn't work out, my plan is to pull the stock antenna, coat the inside and out with POR 15, reinstall the stock antenna mount then add the "shark fin" over top of it. I haven't decided yet whether to do the work myself or take it to a shop.
Ok thank you I will look into the por 15

I am having the same issue and I live relatively close to you, which dealer did you take it to for the fix ?

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
My car is in the body shop through Ford warranty for second time right now. First time they did a door with bad bubbling and the hatch. While it was in body, guys found and recommended 2 more doors and while I was waiting on Ford to schedule me back in..(dragging feet Im talking I started this process almost 2 years ago) I noticed around the antennae was starting to "wrinkle". I got that added on too. I kind of got lucky as the guys in the body shop including their estimator fell in love with my car and could tell how much I liked it, it was and is in good hands.

I would recommend having a shop professionally repair the antenna area bubbling. Covering it or painting over will only mask an issue that will get worse as it is coming from "underneath". You might be fine and it wont progress fast enough and you could be good for the life of the car. It could also lead to a much larger problem to deal with down the road. If not covered under warranty then I would consider what my plans for the car are as far as keeping for a few years and trading up or keeping for as long as possible. ymmv

Take it to the dealer and just tell them you want to make a warranty claim for paint peeling/corrosion under the paint. A decent service rep will at least take the photos and enter the claim for you. It helped that mine was 2 yrs old at the time with under 20k mileage.

IMustBust

I'm having this issue on my 2016 right now. I ordered some primer, paint, and clear coat, and I'll probably do the shark fin as well after confirming no corrosion after 6 months or so. Is there a good guide on pulling the antenna mount so that I can check for rust underneath?

I also have a rust issue with the body right at the top where the hatch closes to cover it (behind the wing). I'm planning on testing my paint skills there so it's not visible if I screw it up. If I can't do it I'll bring it to a body shop. Also thinking of an undercoat. Anybody done that and was it worth it?