Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Grid life sundae cup build planning

Thinking out loud on this one and hoping others might chime in with any ideas they might have.

So tracking my mustang is easily 3x or more the cost of tracking my fiesta and competing is way more fun than I expected, I'm also way less scared to push the fiesta to the limits (For financial reasons). So I'm trying to plan for next years track season and I'm planning to do 4-5 Grid life events in the sundae cup class plus local events. I'm just trying to plan to build a more competitive car. Breaking it down in a similar way to the rulebook for my sanity.

Trying to keep the rest of the "build" budget to sub $5K since Dumping any more than that would be idiotic lol

Engine:
ECU flash from chris taylor racing
Intake snorkel/ duct to oem airbox (cost to performance ratio is wack on this car for an aftermarket intake, but not opposed)
2JR side exit exhaust ( bonus of weight reduction for shorter piping)
This should yield me (hopefully) 100-110 whp - I've found some dyno graphs of these running around 90-95 whp bone stock.

Suspension:
Priority items:
One way coilovers (Un decided on brand, but don"t want to spend more than about 1.5-1.6k)
eibach rear sway bar
Lower priority:
Subframe centering kits
Bushings or sphericals
front lower control arms
ST rear twist beam (bonus of rear disc for easier maintenance/ cooling)
ST front knuckles (bigger brakes/ faster turning with different tie rod mounting)
Spherical outer tie rods

Aero:
St front bumper w/ lip
Block off entire upper grille of front bumper (I've tested by blocking off with duct tape already, temps are manageable and if not I will upgrade the radiator to compensate)
St rear wing
St sideskirts * maybe

Trans:
Fresh motul fluid ( no modifications allowed)

Wheels/tires:
Maintain current setup (already max of the rulebook)

Brakes:
St front brakes (When I get the front knuckle)
st rear brakes (When I get the twist beam)
* St brakes would allow more cooling (bigger rotors) and pad options for race application BUT they will add more weight up front which I've already done with the wheel/tire package. Maybe control arms/ coilovers will offset?
Stainless lines all around
maintain fluid
gt3rs brake duct diy

Weight and safety:
I can't do too much here. Power to weight needs to be 1:25 that is with driver (I'm 190lbs) so with me in the car I can be around 2500-2750 (assuming I make 100-110whp)

Momo bucket seat (Helps keep me in place instead of bracing with my thighs plus doing this for potential contingency prizes lol)
roll bar (gives me ability to gut the rear plus use proper harness)
Steering wheel
There's a bunch of small items I can do to get me down on weight if needed too.

I am allowed to put up to 200 pounds in the trunk if I do go below required weight (which I can easily do), but that would likely hurt my rotation, but It would also help the center of gravity. So I'm not sure what would be faster. Might need to do a local track day to test that.

Link to 2023 rulebook if interested:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...rzq49UbFWb5tvInWqzD5nYq6133NBhgrdZaI8-4Wr/pub

and yes I am aware the rulebook can and may change for next year.

Dialcaliper

Sounds like fun. I saw in your build you’re running Swift spec-R springs - are you still on stock Fiesta shocks?

If your coilover budget is $1000-1500, it might be worth considering the ST B6 Bilsteins as an alternative.

Also, I was just curious and took at peek at the rule book and the Sundae cup suspension section is written slightly differently than the others - are you sure “Mass Produced” even includes height adjustable coilovers? It kind of sounds like it’s written more like “Street” class AutoX, especially the mention of “1-way (valving) adjustable or less”

That would basically limit you to the standard Koni/Bilstein/KYB options.

“ SUSPENSION
Mass produced Suspension upgrade parts that bolt on are allowed (limited to control arms struts/shocks, springs, sway bars). Bushings may be modified/changed but arms must be mounted to OEM pickup points, and no geometry may be changed unless for manipulation of camber/caster. Shocks/Dampers may be only 1 way (valving) adjustable or less. Sway bars open. No modified pickup points on the body. No additional struts or shocks may be added other than factory locations. For Strut cars, Camber/caster plates are allowed, and minor cutting modifications are allowed if needed to fit in OEM chassis location. “

That said, the potential loophole to that is the mention of “BSpec” prepped cars, which are allowed (specific) coilover sets, usually with non adjustable damping, mostly based on the Bilstein B14s

Last edited:
OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #3
Sounds like fun. I saw in your build you’re running Swift spec-R springs - are you still on stock Fiesta shocks?

If your coilover budget is $1000-1500, it might be worth considering the ST B6 Bilsteins as an alternative.

Also, I was just curious and took at peek at the rule book and the Sundae cup suspension section is written slightly differently than the others - are you sure “Mass Produced” even includes height adjustable coilovers? It kind of sounds like it’s written more like “Street” class AutoX, especially the mention of “1-way (valving) adjustable or less”

That would basically limit you to the standard Koni/Bilstein/KYB options.

“ SUSPENSION
Mass produced Suspension upgrade parts that bolt on are allowed (limited to control arms struts/shocks, springs, sway bars). Bushings may be modified/changed but arms must be mounted to OEM pickup points, and no geometry may be changed unless for manipulation of camber/caster. Shocks/Dampers may be only 1 way (valving) adjustable or less. Sway bars open. No modified pickup points on the body. No additional struts or shocks may be added other than factory locations. For Strut cars, Camber/caster plates are allowed, and minor cutting modifications are allowed if needed to fit in OEM chassis location. “
Yep I'm still on stock shocks at the moment. The B6 option is a route I'm considering since I don't want to go absurd on the budget. I would just want some top hats also to get more front camber. The wording sounded weird to me at first too, but the class is 95% Honda fits and virtually all of them are running some level of height adjustable coilovers. There are a couple confirmed legal cars that I know of are running: BC coilovers, fortune auto, rev 9 and tein coilovers. So I know for sure the one way coilovers are legal.

Fusion Works

I approve of this build. HAHA.

Spend the most money you can spend on good dampers. For a track car B6s/B8s ain't it. The B14 valving isn't it either, however you can revalve those and its a start.

Chris Taylor has a good handle on what these cars can do, but you aren't locked in with the Bspec dampers and spring rates. There are Fits running 1000lb+ springs. (not saying this is the answer)

You don't need brakes, you won't be using them much anyways. Just stay in it. Copy the Ford Performance Bspec epoxy mod on the rear bushings. Make The ST brakes and suspension components a priority.

Are you going to dual purpose this car?

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I have a bunch of parts you might be interested in - ST front/rear calipers, hood vents, steering wheel hub/quick connect/wheel, AC delete pulley and belts?

Fusion Works

Buy calipers based around what pad compounds are reasonably available.

One thing you might get away with run a 17in wheel, so 17x8 with a 205/40-17. Then run the Focus RS four piston calipers up front.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #7
I approve of this build. HAHA.

Spend the most money you can spend on good dampers. For a track car B6s/B8s ain't it. The B14 valving isn't it either, however you can revalve those and its a start.

Chris Taylor has a good handle on what these cars can do, but you aren't locked in with the Bspec dampers and spring rates. There are Fits running 1000lb+ springs. (not saying this is the answer)

You don't need brakes, you won't be using them much anyways. Just stay in it. Copy the Ford Performance Bspec epoxy mod on the rear bushings. Make The ST brakes and suspension components a priority.

Are you going to dual purpose this car?
1000 LB SPRINGS IS WILD lol, I don't think I would go that route.

do you have any links or info on that epoxy mod? I tried to look it up but can't find much.

The car will still be street driven, and driven in the canyons, but I tend to mix it up with my R6, the fiesta and the mustang for daily driving. Depends on weather on after work plans usually. I'm used to driving aggressive gutted hondas so this car is cake lol.
I have a bunch of parts you might be interested in - ST front/rear calipers, hood vents, steering wheel hub/quick connect/wheel, AC delete pulley and belts?
Would be interested in brake calipers for sure.
Hood vents aren't legal in the class I've been told.
If that hub is the same for a base fiesta I would take that off your hands too (already have a spare quick release and wheel from previous projects). Just let me know a price shipped to 92503.
Buy calipers based around what pad compounds are reasonably available.

One thing you might get away with run a 17in wheel, so 17x8 with a 205/40-17. Then run the Focus RS four piston calipers up front.
Do these bolt up to the fiesta st knuckles? This would be an awesome option, seems like it should be legal within the class rules too.

Fusion Works

do you have any links or info on that epoxy mod? I tried to look it up but can't find much.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstM-FR3-FAEB.pdf
The car will still be street driven, and driven in the canyons, but I tend to mix it up with my R6, the fiesta and the mustang for daily driving. Depends on weather on after work plans usually. I'm used to driving aggressive gutted hondas so this car is cake lol.
Suspension that maximizes the performance on track will be very harsh on track. Having driven my car with 450/550, I would say its borderline undrivable on all but the smoothest roads. It will be very un pleasant to drive to and from the track. You could run that setup with some very soft Bilstein B14 dampers if you were so inclined.

Do these bolt up to the fiesta st knuckles? This would be an awesome option, seems like it should be legal within the class rules too.
No idea, never really looked into it.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #9

Fusion Works

They did it to stop the beam from shifting around under racing levels of grip. Hoosiers and high performance 200 tread wear tires will move the beam around as these bushings are designed, but in a racing use that is a bad movement. Those voids should make the beam toe in and make the car stable in the turns and such. Filling those voids should help counteract that. The beam bushing kinematics are meant to keep grandma and little suzy out of the ditch.

Dialcaliper

Would be interested in brake calipers for sure.
Hood vents aren't legal in the class I've been told.
If that hub is the same for a base fiesta I would take that off your hands too (already have a spare quick release and wheel from previous projects). Just let me know a price shipped to 92503.

On a Fit, it’s not that wild. They have a much different motion ratio with an inboard spring compared with the Fiesta in the rear. 1000lb spring on a Fit comes out about the same as a 500lb spring on a Fiesta

Focus ST and RS brakes will *not* bolt up to our hubs sadly. We have 120mm bolt spacing. The Focus uses the same 90mm caliper bolt spacing as the previous generation Focus, but the RS uses an even still different Brembo caliper spacing that won’t even fit on other Foci.

The only car that shares our bolt spacing that I can find are Miatas and R50/53 Minis. Unfortunately the caliper mounts are such that bolting up to our hubs results in a smaller rotor size than our stock brakes (even with the JCW brembo brakes that would otherwise bolt up). I’ve searched far and wide and the Fiesta is basically an uncommon caliper spacing in the front.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #13
Focus ST and RS brakes will *not* bolt up to our hubs sadly. We have 120mm bolt spacing. The Focus uses the same 90mm caliper bolt spacing as the previous generation Focus, but the RS uses an even still different Brembo caliper spacing that won’t even fit on other Foci.
IIRC Don't the older focus SVT brakes bolt on for the front and rear? I know the gains are minimal as far as size goes.

Dialcaliper

The rear brakes are similar (bracket swap). The front rotors fit just fine, but the calipers don’t (a custom bracket is required), and unfortunately the spacing is also. Too close to just space out our stock calipers. (The holes would overlap, and there’s other stuff in the way if you try to rotate them)

However, it’s possible to take the smaller base model Fiesta front calipers and space them out on a bracket to work with the SVT front rotors.

Last edited: