Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Critique my plan - Antenna Paint Issue

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I had minor surface rust on the edges of the bottom of my subframe. I kept meaning to wire wheel and paint but decided to have a small body place that does a lot of "tuner cars" do it. They actually used pof 15 on it or whatever version they use through the shop. Cleaned it up nicely. Paid 300 for it. Car doesn't see winters so it last quite a while.

OP
K
Thread Starter #22
I'm having this issue on my 2016 right now. I ordered some primer, paint, and clear coat, and I'll probably do the shark fin as well after confirming no corrosion after 6 months or so. Is there a good guide on pulling the antenna mount so that I can check for rust underneath?

I also have a rust issue with the body right at the top where the hatch closes to cover it (behind the wing). I'm planning on testing my paint skills there so it's not visible if I screw it up. If I can't do it I'll bring it to a body shop. Also thinking of an undercoat. Anybody done that and was it worth it?
I looked up removing the antenna mount after I found the issue and found a Youtube "how to". The only sort of spicy looking part was I believe you have to take the back of the interior apart and lower the roof to get to the mounting bolts. I think your biggest risk is probably breaking clips on an interior piece or accidentally creasing the roof if you let it droop too much. Didn't look like too bad of a job if you take your time.

As for the hatch area, I'd probably clean off the loose paint and any flakey rust with a small wire brush, coat it with POR-15, then top coat with matched paint. I have a buddy who has done bodywork for years who swears you can touch up small paint areas with an airbrush if you don't need to paint match the surrounding paint. If I can ever get 3-4 days in a row off, I might give it a try on mine as I've also found a couple areas near door seams where the paint is starting to "bubble".