Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DEPO OEM-Style Projector Headlamps -- Any interest?

Haven't had much luck there. I emailed them asking for clarification anyway. I'll see what they say.
Why bother? Would you ask an American company if their headlights were for rhd or lhd?... They are rhd because it's a rhd country.

You can find them on German Ebay.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I ran rhd euro lights all the time in my VW days. i would just adjust the lights enough to compensate. the beam pattern was still always better than us lighting. So I'm buying then regardless of orientation...

I ran rhd euro lights all the time in my VW days. i would just adjust the lights enough to compensate. the beam pattern was still always better than us lighting. So I'm buying then regardless of orientation...
I think it depends on how big or if there is even a step in the cutoff. If they're even it shouldn't matter but if they have a step in the cutoff you'll be the ass that blinds oncoming traffic.

I'm not going to sacrifice functionality for looks.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think it depends on how big or if there is even a step in the cutoff. If they're even it shouldn't matter but if they have a step in the cutoff you'll be the ass that blinds oncoming traffic.

I'm not going to sacrifice functionality for looks.
Totally agree!!! Generally, I've always been able to aim the driver side enough to prevent blinding oncoming and still have a sharp, clean cutoff with great distance. But that was in VW world. May not apply in Ferd. Only one way to find out ;) I'm shooting for August purchase...

OP
T
Thread Starter #148
So... after exhausting many hours trying to get in touch with reps for Depo, Depo themselves, and even having locals in Taiwan try to approach Depo in person, they and all of their distributors who can get these flat out refuse to ship to the US. I'm even trying to orchestrate sending them to a holding facility in Taiwan that we can then just ship these to the US from there. Nope. Nothing.

The reasoning is that even though you can get them in LHD traffic patterns to work here in the US, they have not been tested to conform to DOT regulations. As such, Depo doesn't want the negative press associated with a product that may very well fail the requirements.

With that awful news, I ordered a set of OEMs for ~$446 shipped from the UK. Doing a retrofit anyways, so the RHD cutoff is irrelevant.

Bummer.

It's still surprising to me that there aren't even aftermarket options available for the FiST as of yet. The FoST has options abound, but not us. :(

OP
T
Thread Starter #150
That is the option, it's just not trickled down to the US market yet

Did anyone noticed that the Fiesta ST200 reveal had the projector housings on it? I'm guessing once it's available you'll be able to order them and just swap them out. Probably identical to the ones currently available in Europe but at least you won't have to pay the high shipping cost.
On the other hand I too am very surprised there's not a single alternative available yet. Usually these the Chinese are all over these cheap tuner cars and making all kinds of awful lighting available....

OP
T
Thread Starter #152
A cheap Chinese housing would still net us zero here since it would inevitably be poor quality in lieu of chintzy halos and such.

Depo is Taiwanese and the only worthwhile OE-style aftermarket housing manufacturer based on years of experience and feedback.

Did anyone noticed that the Fiesta ST200 reveal had the projector housings on it? I'm guessing once it's available you'll be able to order them and just swap them out. Probably identical to the ones currently available in Europe but at least you won't have to pay the high shipping cost.
The ST200 is Euro only. There isn't (yet) a USDM version from which hypothetical projector housings could be sourced. Even if there were going to be one here, Ford would likely only get the projector housings DOT approved if they were going to fit them to more than just a limited edition of their lowest volume Fiesta.

That is the option, it's just not trickled down to the US market yet
I was under the impression that the Depo lights were OE replacement, used as replacements in accidents and the like.

Typically there are aftermarket alternatives, yea some of them are terrible; the countless ugly angle eye options out there. Others are pretty good though. The Eagle Eye housings for the focus look very well made, but nothing like that exists for the Fiesta. Hell, even the terrible Chinese options don't exist, which I find really strange. Oddly they did for the 11-13 Fiesta, but nothing for the 14 onward.

twolf

The ST200 is Euro only. There isn't (yet) a USDM version from which hypothetical projector housings could be sourced. Even if there were going to be one here, Ford would likely only get the projector housings DOT approved if they were going to fit them to more than just a limited edition of their lowest volume Fiesta.
Projectors from the German FiST. They have the correct cutoff but are not DOT approved. But who cares?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's actually closer to $900 when they get to your door.
Who has done these? Who cares if it's $900 ...if they are better at projecting than OE. No one here will give you any crap about it not being DOT. Alot of things being sold and installed in the aftermarket world do not meet DOT standards but people still use them. No cop or highway hawk will get down and look for the DOT markings because they have better things to do with their time. I know I've been told by friends who are police and highway hawks. All they want to do is issue a ticket for whatever and be on their way to the next fundraiser. So moving on....I would love to see picks of someone who has them and what type of bulb they are using in them.[rockon]