Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Boost Tester

slopoke

I picked up a high pitch squealing noise under hard acceleration. I did some research and worst case was a leaking exhaust manifold or as simple as a loose clamp on a silicone hose. The leak was from a hose, easy peasy.

I built it starting with a air pressure regulator from Walmart it was $15.00. The prices at the big box home improvement stores were higher in price. The pressure gauge is a pool filter gauge from Lowes, $10.00. I did not want to depend on the gauge on my compressor and 0-60 unit had finer markings. I used a 2" PVC end cap and tapped and threaded a 1/4 inch NPT air fitting into it. I used quick two part epoxy and applied it to the inside of the cap around the exposed portion of the air fitting. You can figure out the rest from the picture below.

I used the transition coupler at the turbo inlet to insert my test cap. Started at 10 psi and found a few lines that had to be disconnected and capped. The large line on the intake pipe located just below the throttle body is one. I used a 3/4" I/D hose and a brass cap to seal the open end attached the hose to the fitting. The small line on the cold air pipe has to be removed and the fitting capped. Use a 3/8" I/D hose and stick a large bolt to close off the unused end.

To do the testing, start off low and work the pressure up slowly. You will not get a complete leak free test. I took off the oil filler cap, because other forums recommended it. Yes I got a little air coming out of there. I saw that people were getting just shy of 30 PSI of boost on their cars, so that was the maximum testing pressure that I would use. The air leak showed up around 25PSI. Nice and loud.

VirtualRonin

Active Military
I picked up a high pitch squealing noise under hard acceleration. I did some research and worst case was a leaking exhaust manifold or as simple as a loose clamp on a silicone hose. The leak was from a hose, easy peasy.

I built it starting with a air pressure regulator from Walmart it was $15.00. The prices at the big box home improvement stores were higher in price. The pressure gauge is a pool filter gauge from Lowes, $10.00. I did not want to depend on the gauge on my compressor and 0-60 unit had finer markings. I used a 2" PVC end cap and tapped and threaded a 1/4 inch NPT air fitting into it. I used quick two part epoxy and applied it to the inside of the cap around the exposed portion of the air fitting. You can figure out the rest from the picture below.

I used the transition coupler at the turbo inlet to insert my test cap. Started at 10 psi and found a few lines that had to be disconnected and capped. The large line on the intake pipe located just below the throttle body is one. I used a 3/4" I/D hose and a brass cap to seal the open end attached the hose to the fitting. The small line on the cold air pipe has to be removed and the fitting capped. Use a 3/8" I/D hose and stick a large bolt to close off the unused end.

To do the testing, start off low and work the pressure up slowly. You will not get a complete leak free test. I took off the oil filler cap, because other forums recommended it. Yes I got a little air coming out of there. I saw that people were getting just shy of 30 PSI of boost on their cars, so that was the maximum testing pressure that I would use. The air leak showed up around 25PSI. Nice and loud.

Well done! I stopped at the part where I realized I needed to find something to cap off the hose near the intake and on the cold side pipe. This should be very helpful for anyone else who has a boost leak issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool rig. I was thinking of picking one up from turboboostleaktesters.com. which hose was the culprit? Did tightening the clamp fix it? Any pics of it hooked up to the car?

DEss

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Nice setup and write up. I blocked off the cold side hose before the intake and luckily the leak was contained to that area .

OP
slopoke

slopoke

Thread Starter #5
Pretty cool rig. I was thinking of picking one up from turboboostleaktesters.com. which hose was the culprit? Did tightening the clamp fix it? Any pics of it hooked up to the car?

DEss

The aft hose clamp on the hot side inlet to the intercooler was leaking. At low pressures, no squealing sound. Once I turned up the pressure, it started squealing nice and loud. A few turns of the ratchet and leak was gone. Sorry, I did not take any photos of the tester hooked up to the car.

Now if there was no loud noise, or audible hissing. I was going to fill a spray bottle with a soapy water solution and spray all of the areas under boost pressure with it, including the intercooler. If there is even a small leak, you will see bubbles.

Last edited: