Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Intercooler Mesh Grill Replacement

anticon

I recently swapped out my stock intercooler grill for a DIY metal mesh grill. I didn't want to pay for the actual nice manufactured ones. After straightening all the fins on the used intercooler I bought I wanted something that would protect it a little better. I also liked the look of a bare intercooler, so I wanted to show it off a little. I think the mesh might have less air restriction also.

I bought the mesh from ebay. There are a ton of listings for the same thing. So I found the cheapest one, and with a $5 off coupon I got the roll shipped for $4 total.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153070864423

I had to flatten the mesh once it was delivered so I flattened as best I could and then sandwiched it between two sheets of plywood with some weight on top for a week or so. I'm not sure how much this helped, but I wasn't ready to install it yet anyway, so I figured it wouldn't matter.

I then just formed it by hand as best I could to get it flatter after that.

I cutout a piece of cardboard and trimmed it to fit the intercooler grill area to be used as a pattern to cut the mesh. Once the cardboard fit right I placed it over the metal mesh, and starting cutting with tin snips to match the shape of the cardboard. Once I got it close to fitting the grill I just continued to trim the mesh until it fit.

On the long edge, since I used the manufactured edge on one side it was pretty smooth, but on the other side that was trimmed I just folded it over just barely so there weren't any sharp cut pieces on my paint. On each end I just left it pretty sharp since the edges kind of slip between the bumper and the intercooler. I tried to use some screen door rubber to cover the outside but it kept falling off. I know you can buy some stuff that is for doing this but its probably more than I want to pay. I also considered hot glue or something on the sharp ends or just wrapping with electrical tape. In the end I just left it bare, maybe folding could have worked on the ends also.

I watched a video of how to pull off the stock grill and it was much easier than I expected. Start at the middle on the bottom cross piece and pull till it pops, then move to each side and do the same, and keep moving out until the whole thing comes loose. I was a little worried that the plastic ends would help seal the air going through the intercooler, but the intercooler I have fit so tight, there isn't really a concern. Plus I think the mesh might actually provide less air restriction in general.

I had to do a little more trimming on the ends, but once I got it close I jammed the ends between the bumper and the intercooler and pressed it up against the vertical supports. Once I was happy with the fit. I managed to pull two zipties through the mesh and around the two of the vertical supports. I used the smallest black zipties I had around and put them at the top so they are less visible. I used a little hooked pick to grab the ziptie and pull it back through. This part was kind of a pain, if someone comes up with a better way I would be interested.

In the end I think it turned out okay, and for $4 and an hour of labor the price is right.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So, there are supports left behind when you pop out the stock grill? Man, that doesn't sound too bad, I kind of want to do the upper that way too but not sure how... I wish it was as easy as this below... maybe it is? I've never had the front end off but would like to come up with a plan for later on this summer when I do my intercooler...

1562103529113.png

OP
anticon

anticon

Thread Starter #3
@danbfree, I don't think the upper would be as easy. I do have some left over mesh and probably the cardboard form I made, if you are interested in the DIY lower option.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
That
@danbfree, I don't think the upper would be as easy. I do have some left over mesh and probably the cardboard form I made, if you are interested in the DIY lower option.
Sounds great! Since I will be doing the intercooler soon it would be nice to have a little protection for it. I'll be in touch but I should be doing my intercooler in about a month. I start my new job this Monday and will be making a good amount more than before, so my last few major things like intercooler, springs and tint I'll be able to knock out this summer!