Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY Plywood Cargo Liner (w/mini-spare)

Completed this project last week:

I needed the extra height in the cargo area and a solid floor for a tennis ball machine I lug around fairly often.

For a flat floor, you need a reduced size spare. I used an aluminum one from a parted out Focus (from eBay for $65 delivered).

Plywood was 5/8 inch I had leftover from a house project

Piano hinge from Home Depot ($8) -- make sure it goes on the underside of the platform. Wood screws came with it, but I had to use some shorter ones since the ones supplied penetrated the top.

Foam sleeping bag pad from WalMart ($7). Insulates the road sound and keeps the plywood from bouncing around)

Adhesive spray for the foam.

Ribbed heavy-duty carpet mat was from Lowes ($12 on sale size was 3' x 4'). But there are plenty of other options out there.

I made a close fitting form for the area by cutting and taping together some cardboard. Then traced that to the plywood. Final fit is nice. The hinge makes it much, much easier to put in and take out. I thought about gluing the ribbed carpet to the top, but leaving it as one piece (and replaceable) made more sense. Painted it black for looks and longevity. No rattles.

Some photos:

IMG_5053.jpg IMG_5045.jpg IMG_5058.jpg IMG_5069.jpg IMG_5071.jpg IMG_5076.jpg IMG_5077.jpg IMG_5078.jpg IMG_5079.jpg

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Great idea/execution! [thumb]

When everyone is getting these ebay/craigs list alloy spares, do they ALWAYS come with the compact tire mounted, or are they just the wheel, and one has to buy the (CO$TLY) compact tire?? [dunno]

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Very nice job. My problem is under the floor is where I keep my snow brush and grocery bags. Hate clutter.

GAbOS

Been wanting to do this myself with a hinge near the front for storage since I've removed the rear seats. Nice write up.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

OP
Ernie
Thread Starter #6
My reduced width aluminum spare (Ford OEM) came with the tire (from spaldingautoparts on eBay for $63 shipped). These are usually from crashed cars.

OP
Ernie
Thread Starter #7
I plan on selling the spare and the trunk floor setup since I traded in the FiST recently (and saved the stuff from the trunk). Let me know if interested. Local pickup in DFW/TX area. Will post in classifieds with other goodies very soon.

Great idea/execution! [thumb]

When everyone is getting these ebay/craigs list alloy spares, do they ALWAYS come with the compact tire mounted, or are they just the wheel, and one has to buy the (CO$TLY) compact tire?? [dunno]
From my recent ebay searches, both can be found--wheel only, and wheel/tire. A number of (again, recent) listings were > $100, for wheel/tire. Finally spotted one wgheel/tire listing for 75 w/ 20% off...$60 final. Lucky break. So--they are out there. My ebay powers are low, if I can succeed, anyone can.

Last edited: