Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DIY ST201 intake - Check it out

Preface: Im sure i left some things out, please feel free to ask questions or suggest things. I can answer more elaborate stuff via PM, email, carrier pigeon etc.....
Its a ST201 intake cause I for sureeeeee did it one better

sarcasm and odd humor follows...

NO sh*t there I was, sitting around the house lurking on Fiestastforum.com, checking out all these rad intakes and whilst simultaneously being a penny pincher. Then I got to thinking; I can make one of these things.....with help.

TO AUTOZONE!!!!

We (friend and I) went in and found pretty much exactly what we needed. I found one of These, and This plus one of these things. Also scooped up some a Screen Repair kit (Home Depot) and two of thems. All in all, with out checking right now i spent like $46.

Then things got interesting.....

So, we pulled the stock intake box out and identified where we were going to A) route the hose and B) make a sweet hole C) curse

What we decided was to run the hose on the back left side of the intake IMG_7148.jpeg

We followed this up with drilling a bunch of holes resembling a circle and smoothing it out. We used the 3" to 2.5" reducer here.
IMG_7150.jpeg IMG_7149.jpeg

Sticking the 2.5" into the intake was relatively relieving, I was nervous that the shape of the intake box wouldn't work with what we were trying to accomplish. Nonetheless it fit well, and the reducer was flex-y(??) enough that it filled the imperfections in our professional work.

Added a screen betwixt the filter adapter and the intake hose to keep bugs, rocks, birds, cones etc from getting sucked up.

IMG_7151.jpeg

With the box mounted and the intake tubing routed down to the front of the car we were in business. The 3" tubing ran in front of the cold side pipe. It does not make contact with anything that gets hot which was also a relief.

IMG_7153.jpeg

This is where it got dicey due to me really NOT wanting to carve up the front of the car. Measure twice, cut once. While we were talking about the placement of the intake hose i noticed that since we were already down here...why not mount it front mounted "ram air" style. I came all this way to make this thing so...full send.

We decided to trim out the a 3" circle from the front airdam, center line of the car. Funny thing, theres a popclip just off center on the air dam so we drilled a hole next to it and mounted it as such.

I know this looks like amateur hour from the photos but a few things: We did this with basic hand tools, no ramps, in my apartment parking space. The zipties are temporary, popclips are going to replace the top two. We are respraying the coupler black and going to trim it down to match the lip.
Driving impressions are awesome to be honest. More turbo sound for sure. I, like a genius, didn't get IAT before nor after.

IMG_7155.jpeg

IMG_7158.jpeg

anticon

Nice post, writeup, and job. One thing I noticed on my Mountune airbox with the hose (very similar to the ST200 box) is that the hose is made of a fabric material. I don't know how permeable the fabric is, but I got the feeling that this would allow any moisture that was sucked up to wick into the fabric, and drain/dry better.

OP
S
Thread Starter #4
Nice post, writeup, and job. One thing I noticed on my Mountune airbox with the hose (very similar to the ST200 box) is that the hose is made of a fabric material. I don't know how permeable the fabric is, but I got the feeling that this would allow any moisture that was sucked up to wick into the fabric, and drain/dry better.
That’s actually a really good point! I may try and track something like that down.

Cheers!!

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Probably pretty well tbh. Are you suggesting run that at the end or something? I’m not overly familiar with the purpose of the stack.

Thanks!
The purpose of the stack is to smooth and accelerate the airflow. Running a velocity stack at the end of the hose would be optimal, but I was thinking about skipping the hose altogether (fewer parts, fewer holes, lower effort ... lol).

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
The purpose of the stack is to smooth and accelerate the airflow. Running a velocity stack at the end of the hose would be optimal, but I was thinking about skipping the hose altogether (fewer parts, fewer holes, lower effort ... lol).
Gotcha. I like the idea of true cold air. BUT you having me searching the web for a 3” stack with a 4-4.5” outer diameter. I really like the idea of it and it would look super clean!!

OP
S
Thread Starter #9
You can get the actual ST200 intake hose seperate from Ron at Whoosh for like $70. I know you are trying to be cheap but its a lot less than buying the whole thing.
That’s good to know also! It may be worth it. As I get to looking at it more I’m going to definitely be tinkering to clean it up. I’d go for finish over price in this case. Thank you!

The actual ST200 hose is also air permiable, which would defeat the purpose of a velocity stack/horn somewhat. I’ve done a very similar home made mod. I’d just run the vecity stack if I were you and keep your current hose

OP
S
Thread Starter #11
The actual ST200 hose is also air permiable, which would defeat the purpose of a velocity stack/horn somewhat. I’ve done a very similar home made mod. I’d just run the vecity stack if I were you and keep your current hose
Can you send me a part number that you used for your velocity stack?

Thanks!

kevinatfms

Just grab a 3" speaker port tube from Amazon. Drill a 3" hole in the underside of the box. Drop the 3" port tube in from the INSIDE out. Clamp 3" ducting to outside of the box and run to a 3" flat intake box in the lower lip. Seen two other Fiesta's with this setup and its SUPER clean and i ran something like this on my Elantra beater.

3" port tube
https://www.amazon.com/Goldwood-4330171935-Port-Tube-4-1/dp/B000HJ5MNE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3QAO6D94E66ZZ&keywords=3+speaker+port+tube&qid=1560177911&s=gateway&sprefix=3"+speaker+port+tube,aps,136&sr=8-6

3" hose
https://www.amazon.com/Spectre-Performance-8741-Black-Duct/dp/B000BPZ55Y/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=3"+intake+hose&qid=1560178013&s=gateway&sr=8-2

3" front lip housing(rivet onto lip)
https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-ALL4...K2G9F5MKMNQW&refRID=C5N4WEBDK2G9F5MKMNQW&th=1

Rivet the duct piece into the front lip with 4 rivets at each corner. Use a 3" hole saw and go through a flat portion of the bottom or drive side of the box. Shoe goo the 3" speaker port into the box. Connect hose from one end to the other and clamp.

ST200 box that draws air right from the front lip.