Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dizzy E40a tune

So I wanted to make this quick review on @Jason@dizzytuning E40a tune with the turbosmart 7psi wastegate. I noticed that not many people talk about this really and I am sure there will be someone else looking around who is not ready to upgrade their turbo but want to get as much as they can out of a stock turbo like me.
First thing first I want to say Jason from Dizzy has been amazing at answering all my dead end questions and being a good sport lol this is my 2nd tune from him and I am still very impressed. My first was E30 and that woke the car up a good amount and I was very impressed. But my problem was ( since I drag race the car, and yes I know that not what its meant for but I'm different) that the turbo would fall off too quick and I really didn't benefit from running the engine out farther than 5k or even 5.5k. So that's what I was figuring to get the upgraded wastegate to hold the boost a little longer. which it did and now I can feel the pull all the way to 6k and even redline. Now it didn't really add much for power but the boost ramps in much faster and stays longer which in the drag world is a good thing. I will say using the Cobb estimated HP and torque I did see a small improvement in both numbers from the E30 to E40 tune. I know those numbers are rarely accurate but I was just looking at the difference.
Installation was fairly easy except for the dreaded heat shield and I am too lazy to remove the coolant lines. so yes you guessed it, I didn't bother putting the shield back. That's on me. But once that was out of my way the rest of it was fairly smooth and east to adjust. Using reference from Jason's video I was able to set preload to the desired amount and it all seems very spot on. Put it all together and flashed the tune and went for the first drive and sure enough the tune seems perfect. To be honest if I knew more about this earlier I probably would have gone straight to this tune and skip the E30 all together, but i don't mind helping him out a little. I still have to run 100 miles before I send in the datalogs hopefully before the next track day because I'm curious on what improvements its made for launch and on the top end. If y'all are still interested on how its all going I can post my times and answer any other questions anyone has. Hope this helps

I’m still waiting for my front vms wheels for slick (thanks Covid). What kind of numbers did you run on e30? I’m running his tune v1 fmic, drop in filter. I have 1/4 mile tracks near me.

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
I’m still waiting for my front vms wheels for slick (thanks Covid). What kind of numbers did you run on e30? I’m running his tune v1 fmic, drop in filter. I have 1/4 mile tracks near me.
Unfortunately I was unable to get a good number last time I went because I had limited runs and it was very hot out. My best run was 14.9 at 98 mph. And that was spinning a lot in the beginning. From my calculations my mph should be a higher 13. I do want to try slicks and work on getting the stock turbo record. Do they still sell those wheel?

Erick_V

Subbed to this. I have a WGA sitting in the box and I know I won't get crazy power gains, the only thing holding me back is Texas heat and the added heat I'll be getting from holding the boost even longer

OP
F
Thread Starter #5
Subbed to this. I have a WGA sitting in the box and I know I won't get crazy power gains, the only thing holding me back is Texas heat and the added heat I'll be getting from holding the boost even longer
Well thankfully the ethanol helps a little with that but I understand. The Florida heat
Is brutal as well. I try to save my full on racing till the night time but even then my intake temps are in the 90s with an upgraded IC

Erick_V

Well thankfully the ethanol helps a little with that but I understand. The Florida heat
Is brutal as well. I try to save my full on racing till the night time but even then my intake temps are in the 90s with an upgraded IC
I'm working on getting everything buttoning up at the moment to send logs to Jason for my E30 flash and I'll likely ask him if there's more on the table or if I should hold the WGA till I go Big/Hybrid. Also having to buy another tune for 93 and an upgraded WGA has also been on my mind. I haven't used only 93 in about 2 years but I also haven't driven more than 2 hours from home since purchasing the car in 2017. I'm also close to paying off the car which means I'll be picking up another DD soon, decisions, decisions lol

From what I understand the power we'll pick up will be mostly mid-range and some top end, which sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I'm FBO and if I get some logs this weekend I'll post the Virtual Dyno graph here so we can compare

Unfortunately I was unable to get a good number last time I went because I had limited runs and it was very hot out. My best run was 14.9 at 98 mph. And that was spinning a lot in the beginning. From my calculations my mph should be a higher 13. I do want to try slicks and work on getting the stock turbo record. Do they still sell those wheel?
Yes but with Covid and all the nonsense they are taking forever to ship stateside. What is the stock turbo record?

OP
F
Thread Starter #9
I'm working on getting everything buttoning up at the moment to send logs to Jason for my E30 flash and I'll likely ask him if there's more on the table or if I should hold the WGA till I go Big/Hybrid. Also having to buy another tune for 93 and an upgraded WGA has also been on my mind. I haven't used only 93 in about 2 years but I also haven't driven more than 2 hours from home since purchasing the car in 2017. I'm also close to paying off the car which means I'll be picking up another DD soon, decisions, decisions lol

From what I understand the power we'll pick up will be mostly mid-range and some top end, which sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing your results. I'm FBO and if I get some logs this weekend I'll post the Virtual Dyno graph here so we can compare
Well power wise it seemed to pick up more torque in the low end but mostly because it spools up much faster but I would love to see more graphs. Jason sent me one comparing the 2 and that’s basically what I noticed on it. He also said after I get the e40 tune I won’t be able to go back to only 93 because he doesn’t have a flash tune for 93 and the wastegate. Which I’m completely fine with. I would say in your case though if you are planning on going big/hybrid turbo I would just save up for that so you can get the 200$ customer tune from him and call it a day. I would like to go s280 with a single port auxiliary but I just can’t see my self spending that kind of money in a while since I’m planning on moving out of the state within the next few years lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I believe the record is 13.3. I don’t remember who did it though
When you say 'stock turbo' record, does that mean that any/everything else besides the actual factory KP39 snail itself can be changed (i.e.; full slicks/skinnies, any suspension mod, any fuel/tune, any intake/exhaust mod/type, any clutch/diff, any/all weight reduction parts and methods, etc.)?

OP
F
Thread Starter #11
When you say 'stock turbo' record, does that mean that any/everything else besides the actual factory KP39 snail itself can be changed (i.e.; full slicks/skinnies, any suspension mod, any fuel/tune, any intake/exhaust mod/type, any clutch/diff, any/all weight reduction parts and methods, etc.)?
Yeah full slicks and weight reduction clutch, diff anything and everything. Just stock turbo. Not hybrid

OP
F
Thread Starter #16
I'm also enjoying my E40a tune! Now to save up for a S280, uprated injectors, and HPFP.
S280 is also my next go to but I am not sure if the hpfp and injectors are worth it yet. for the price that is. but then again I'm not looking for that high of numbers lol

S280 is also my next go to but I am not sure if the hpfp and injectors are worth it yet. for the price that is. but then again I'm not looking for that high of numbers lol
I have the same dilemma @Feisty Fiesta7 ......debating Whoosh hybrid or S280 or.......who knows what else, but also considering the quantum leap in cost to add HPFP and injectors to what amounts to a relatively low bang for the buck (**IMO**) increase in power once the stock fuel system limit is reached on these turbos. A really large turbo on these cars just doesnt suit it IMO.

Im having a hard time not following my previous junkyard solutions approach on this car and finding creative ways to increase fueling without cost/complexity. In my old universe (Turbo DOdges), we used to use these cold start injectors all the time for a crazy cheap way to add fuel. They work beautifully and most guys found they could supply ~30 hp worth of fuel (Saab/Volvo cold starts) or ~15 hp (VW version). Wed trigger them on a simple boost switch (no 3D mapping necessary) and literally 25 bucks later that was it. Some guys would even stage them and have 2 or 3 of them that would come on at different boost pressures. On the FiST, this would obviously be tied into the LP side of the fuel system of course.

Attachments

OP
F
Thread Starter #18
I have the same dilemma @Feisty Fiesta7 ......debating Whoosh hybrid or S280 or.......who knows what else, but also considering the quantum leap in cost to add HPFP and injectors to what amounts to a relatively low bang for the buck (**IMO**) increase in power once the stock fuel system limit is reached on these turbos. A really large turbo on these cars just doesnt suit it IMO.

Im having a hard time not following my previous junkyard solutions approach on this car and finding creative ways to increase fueling without cost/complexity. In my old universe (Turbo DOdges), we used to use these cold start injectors all the time for a crazy cheap way to add fuel. They work beautifully and most guys found they could supply ~30 hp worth of fuel (Saab/Volvo cold starts) or ~15 hp (VW version). Wed trigger them on a simple boost switch (no 3D mapping necessary) and literally 25 bucks later that was it. Some guys would even stage them and have 2 or 3 of them that would come on at different boost pressures. On the FiST, this would obviously be tied into the LP side of the fuel system of course.
Oh nice! Never heard of that before. I think I’ll be going s280 just for the fact I can make the power I want with aux fuel and still have room to move