Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Drove one of these today and fell in love, just the right tweaks and it would be incredible.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club

I drove one close to this today, Club but also BBS version which I would end up getting then selling the wheels, tires, brakes, shocks and springs or struts..and installing Ohlins, sways, 17x9 wheels, better tires, tune, exhaust, 180WHP might be enough then moderate boost if not but massive power just not needed to bring a smile every single time I would drive it.

If not for RVing full time and no place to park it, damn well keeping the FiST, I would of bought the car today!

I love this friggin car! I have owned 6 other Miata cars and this one has all the charm of the first model and around the same weight but far better in nearly every way.

It is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen and I have seen most everything ever built.

Nah it's a Mazda soon you'll see them everywhere and what's so unique about that car.

Sekred

1000 Post Club
Yeah I have to agree, love the ST but its really a shopping trolley compared to a MX-5. I would have to turbo it but, can't stand revving the balls of something to make it go.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Yeah I have to agree, love the ST but its really a shopping trolley compared to a MX-5. I would have to turbo it but, can't stand revving the balls of something to make it go.
This. If the new MX-5 was available when I was shopping then I most likely wouldn't have even considered the FiST.

I like the new MX5 as well. But what it cannot provide is four seater flexibility and hatchback cargo space. I enjoy the fact that my FIST can do so many things well. It is the most fun daily driver-type car I have owned.

Nah it's a Mazda soon you'll see them everywhere and what's so unique about that car.
I live in Southern California, the land of the convertible, I assure you I don't see many of the newer generation MX5s. I have a '10 and I rarely see any of the '06-'15 generation. Pretty sure I've only seen one of the '13-'15s and only one '16 and I'm really observant. What I see a BAZILLION of are modified older NA and NB generations. Seems like younger kids have turned to these as their car canvas in the same way people used to turn to the Civic back in the late 90s. I think it bodes well for a comeback for the 2-seat convertible category as these kids get older. I sat in a '16 at Laguna Seca and I don't even really fit...it's smaller than the previous generation. The Fiat version looks much better, anyways. There's your turbo, too.

Yes, the Fiesta is a little more awkward in the twisties, but you can be sure that stock for stock the ST is a far better handling car than the NC generation MX5. As for having to rev, that's half the fun. The torque in the ST is nice to instantly solve problems. It's a much more theatrical experience in the MX5. Mine with I/H/E and a tune, trying out FFS: https://youtu.be/WHGqqSsoiVc?t=37s

I also had the opportunity to drive the new Miata it was on a nice night a couple months ago so I had the top down while I cruised around downtown. I couldn't believe how many people where checking out the car. Then when I got it out of town it was fun. No torque but it still was fun. The pedal and seat position are perfect in that car. On a side note a couple weeks later I got to drive a new Lexus RC-F and no one looked twice at it.

MPA

I'd love to drive a new one.

If the new car was 200hp, I probably would've bought one instead of my FiST even though a Miata is basically useless for hauling anything. I've had an NA, 2 NBs, and a NC, and while I loved them, I eventually got bored of them for being under-powered. The Fiat 124 has the 500 Abarth's 1.4 turbo, but I don't care for the looks.

I've driven a 220rwhp NB, and it was a blast to drive, but those Flyin Miata kits are expensive - should be interesting to see how much power they get from the new car.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Great responses and obviously the car is not for everyone and though I love how it looks it is how much fun it is to drive, top down, to me not in the city but out in the country, desert, mountains, etc.....

I mentioned 180WHP, that has been obtained with bolt on parts and a tune which not bad at all but has to be used right, stock power felt very slow to my approx 300WHP at sea level, I would be happy with around 225 for a nice balance of everything I am sure.

I did an estimate a couple of weeks ago, Base model with the body parts of the Club/Brembo which look really good on the car, WW brakes, 17x9 wheels, 225 or 235 tires, Ohlin coilovers, intake, headers, exhaust, tune, roll bar, and a few other bits and it would of been around $35k after selling some parts but not much would sell.

Then I did it starting with the Club/Brembo, selling the brakes, forged wheels and tires, whatever else would be sell able, same power mods, suspension, roll bar, etc....and it came out to around $37k.

A turbo version would be a bit over $40k and one hell of a car.

---------------

The main differences to me are the cargo ability and the shock value when I get it back on track and pass many "superior" cars:)

The new chassis is exceptionally solid, the body and interior sculpting, fit and finish are superb, all the original charm but fully modern in every way, my favorite Miata yet:)

I drove one close to this today, Club but also BBS version which I would end up getting then selling the wheels, tires, brakes, shocks and springs or struts..and installing Ohlins, sways, 17x9 wheels, better tires, tune, exhaust, 180WHP might be enough then moderate boost if not but massive power just not needed to bring a smile every single time I would drive it.

If not for RVing full time and no place to park it, damn well keeping the FiST, I would of bought the car today!

I love this friggin car! I have owned 6 other Miata cars and this one has all the charm of the first model and around the same weight but far better in nearly every way.

It is one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen and I have seen most everything ever built.
Goodwin is developing 2 NDs now.

trust me, when I am back in the market for a 2 seater, I will be considering the newer Miata. I like the idea of it. Obviously, the fiesta is a convenient daily driver for those of us that need 4 doors, but the Miata would definitely be a fun weekend car.

meFiSTo

I hear you on this car. I had been contemplating the Focus RS, but have come to my senses. I have plenty of cars right now and that thing is just totally overkill for my purposes. We (my wife and I) have determined the best path will be to eventually replace our MY2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with another tall AWD wagon (CRV? CrossTrek XV? something, not sure) when it finally dies (at about 126,000, still many years left really at the rate we drive). It is a great winter vehicle for the 3 weeks tops that we see snow and/or ice here. At some point though, my 2004 Audi S4 wagon will hit a wall (it only has 54,000 miles on it), but that also has many good years ahead. However, when that dies, I'll be looking around for something fun. Who knows what will be out there, but something like this is more likely than something like the RS for me.

Regarding your notes on adding FI: I believe there is a pretty strong likelihood that Fiat will release an FI-engined Abarth version of the upcoming 124 (cousin to the new Miata MX5). I think the Mazda version is better looking, but the Fiat could grow on me. Too bad FCA moved the car to Fiat's domain, but it will be more affordable vs. an Alfa treatment. In any event, if you can be patient, the Fiat 124 Abarth might be a good option with an engine already setup for FI. YMMV.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I saw the Fiat version and have a serious aversion to anything Fiat with their very poor history here but things change and most cars are far better than ever. I like the Mazda style much better and do not know much about the Fiat 1.4 as to how well it works out to have a decent power band, reliability, etc...I would have plenty of time to research it though.

I would like it better if an Alpha but as mentioned it would cost considerably more.

I drove an Abarth when first released and decided I would have to find a wrecked sliding top car to swap parts to and it was a very tight if even workable fit for our dogs. The released the pop top Abarth but I decided on the FiST and no looking back, love it:)

We had a beautiful and loved 07 4Runner V8 LTD with some very nice mods for handling and style, a bit for power and Borla exhaust that sounded very sweet but no room for it in our RV plans so sold it to my daughter for a very good price with the option to buy it back anytime I we might want it.

We have a 6WD 28k mile Duramax dually for inclement weather and easier on fuel than the 4Runner though a bit of a pain to park sometimes I have gotten really good at backing it in so not to bad now.

Once we stop full time RVing then I will look at this sweet new Mazda again but for now we are set, a great truck and damn fun FiST:)

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
I have already mostly built a nuts 95 M3 race car and had a very clean 318ti CA Edition all apart on my lift for a $40 332ti 300 HP build to fit the RV, track, dog hauler, etc...when I drove the FiST while away for the winter and hauled it back to UT to build instead with pretty minimal plans, right.....sold off the BMW's as the FiST was going to do all I needed and it does more than expected. I really like the E30 but would only want an M version:)

Miata and FiST are so different... which would be a perfect combo.

I miss having a linear power band with NA. Sometimes the lag can spoil the initial fun. And I haven't driven a car with massive body roll, but motor trend reviewers say that roll makes it more enjoyable. Not sure if I would want to mod the new Miata.. I think the wonky looking body roll is meant to be there. I think if you want a Miata Cup Car, you still gotta be getting an na-series.

Ap1 would be fun. Miata that revs to 9k would be better. [twothumb]

Miata and FiST are so different... which would be a perfect combo.

I miss having a linear power band with NA. Sometimes the lag can spoil the initial fun. And I haven't driven a car with massive body roll, but motor trend reviewers say that roll makes it more enjoyable. Not sure if I would want to mod the new Miata.. I think the wonky looking body roll is meant to be there. I think if you want a Miata Cup Car, you still gotta be getting an na-series.

Ap1 would be fun. Miata that revs to 9k would be better. [twothumb]
ITRB Miata
[video=youtube;Dq2n70ww06U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2n70ww06U[/video]

K24 Miata
[video=youtube;0a76haKChfg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a76haKChfg[/video]