Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Test drove a WRX today...

To preface: this all started as I was driving my FiST across Wisconsin this past weekend.

About 2 hours into my 4.5 hour drive home from Milwaukee, I felt so fatigued and cramped in my FiST that I had to stop, get out and walk around to stretch my legs on multiple occasions. Granted, this is typical of any long road trip, but the lack of soft touch points for my elbows to rest on (I'm 6'2") was killing my arms too. This, coupled with the somewhat awkward experience of piling three co-workers into the car at lunch yesterday had me pretty dissatisfied with the FiST. This car is an absolute blast around town, and always puts a smile on my face, but I could very easily see myself in something bigger and more comfortable on longer trips.

So yesterday afternoon, I noticed the local Subaru dealership had a 2012 WRX hatch on the lot. I've always adored that car, and I drool over last-gen widebody WRX hatches. Having never driven one myself, I decided to bite the bullet and stop by for a drive this afternoon.

The salesman (whom I've talked to before) was very willing, and I was out in the lot behind the wheel in no time. The first thing that struck me about the WRX is how dark and spartan the interior is. I mean I always though the FiST interior was budget-oriented, but the WRX is an even worse offender. Everything felt cheap, and I had to scoot my seat right up the dash (no telescoping steering wheel). As I went to put the car in gear, I felt the clutch for the first time. Holy s***. The short travel and lack of feedback was almost laughable compared to the Fiesta. Props to Ford for making a clutch that feels as good as ours does. But even worse, I then tried sliding the shifter into first. It would be kind to say it felt like rowing a paddle through molasses. Granted, it was about 32 degrees out, so the gearbox oil hadn't had a chance to fully warm up yet, but I was not impressed at all. Coming from the (from a cold start mind you) notchiness of the FiST shifter, I was almost worried the car wasn't in gear.

After doing a quick sprint around town with the salesman, I have a few final thoughts. The WRX is muuuch bigger than the FiST (duh). Combined with AWD, I felt like I was driving a turbocharged tank around. But my god that thing pulls. Getting on the highway, I was up to speed before I could think twice about changing gear. As a result, I have a new-found appreciation for the FiST's acceleration. It's much more usable on the street, and due to the size of the car, it feels like you're going so much faster than you actually are. Finally, I noted that the WRX is much more comfortable over bumps. This isn't necessarily surprising, but was an important comparison I wanted to observe for myself. I could very easily see the WRX being a much better road-tripper due to the ride comfort and less aggressive seats.

In summary, I will not be selling my FiST for a WRX anytime soon. Getting back into my car to drive home, I was happy knowing that I had made a smart choice in buying the Fiesta ST. It may not be the best highway cruiser, but it more than makes up for it in other very important areas. I now plan to wait a few years for the prices on 2015 WRX's to go down, and to pay off as much of my FiST as possible in the meantime. Maybe my experience with a newer gen WRX will be different.

Anyone have any thoughts on their experiences with WRX's? Anything I should look into to make the FiST a better highway cruiser?

EDIT - Pictures for fun:

I can imagine being that tall and in a FiST for hours straight would leave you feeling quite cramped. The FiST is definitely not my first choice for a road trip, we have done it before and it was rough with 3 of us in the car.
I have not driven a WRX yet. I love the look of the 15s and briefly thought about buying one before I bought my FoST. But I agree with you on the interior. I was not impressed with the interior of either the WRX or the STI. Seemed lacking and for a car that is more expensive than the FoST, I like my interior more.

Since buying my ST haven't had any thoughts of any other car. Took mine from Edmonton Alberta to Winnipeg Manitoba this summer its. A 16 hour trek and did it in 3 stops all comfy cozy.Love it.

Anything I should look into to make the FiST a better highway cruiser?
We swapped in Koni STR.Ts and Eibachs and this has calmed the ride somewhat. I find myself being able to relax more often than the OEM suspension. The ride is still busy, but better. The price you pay is the loss of the direct edginess and immediacy of the OEM suspension. These Konis are NOT a performance upgrade, they are IMO a comfort upgrade.

As for touch points, the only solution I'm aware of is the Redline Goods center armrest cover shown here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7018-Redline-Goods-padded-armrest-cover-install . I don't have one but I bet it's a nice comfort upgrade. I think you're out of luck for the door armrest. Being somewhat tall as well the doors are so short that at my driving position I'm just plain out of range of most if not all of that armrest. Lastly I also suggest oiling the clutch pedal pivot points - silicone lube all of the little pivots and do spray lithium grease in and around the assist spring bucket and it's hinge points. It takes some of the load off without impacting feel.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I test drove a wrx hatch like the one you did. It is super cheap inside and is overrated if you ask me. It's a total bro car in my area. I like the character of the ST more. Much more unique

That year WRX is nice, but motor-wise the new ones are much more enjoyable to drive. The new ones have very little turbo lag compared to the older model. One of the things I dislike about the newest model is the fact that there is no hatchback and the driving experience provided too little feedback to the driver...which is what I really like about the FiST.

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #7
We swapped in Koni STR.Ts and Eibachs and this has calmed the ride somewhat. I find myself being able to relax more often than the OEM suspension. The ride is still busy, but better. The price you pay is the loss of the direct edginess and immediacy of the OEM suspension. These Konis are NOT a performance upgrade, they are IMO a comfort upgrade.

As for touch points, the only solution I'm aware of is the Redline Goods center armrest cover shown here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/7018-Redline-Goods-padded-armrest-cover-install . I don't have one but I bet it's a nice comfort upgrade. I think you're out of luck for the door armrest. Being somewhat tall as well the doors are so short that at my driving position I'm just plain out of range of most if not all of that armrest. Lastly I also suggest oiling the clutch pedal pivot points - silicone lube all of the little pivots and do spray lithium grease in and around the assist spring bucket and it's hinge points. It takes some of the load off without impacting feel.
Thanks for the ideas! I've been contemplating a suspension upgrade in the spring, and am looking into the center armrest cover from Redline at the moment. They've got free shipping all week!

I test drove a wrx hatch like the one you did. It is super cheap inside and is overrated if you ask me. It's a total bro car in my area. I like the character of the ST more. Much more unique
It's funny you say that - I was telling the salesman I would have a hard time associating with the WRX community, as most of them I've seen at car shows are "bros". That's not to say there's anything wrong with being a WRX bro, but I have been really impressed with the ST community. Everyone I've met who owns an ST has been a genuine enthusiast, and a pleasure to talk to.

I sold my modded 2011 WRX sedan earlier this year. In stock form, I didn't care for it much. After the break in, I went to town on the upgrades then to a custom dyno tune. This is where the fun started, especially on streets.
Do I miss the WRX when driving the FiST? Not really. I miss the custom spec tune & it's powerband.
But I could obtained the same powerband if or when I decide to start the big upgrades. And the fun factor from this compact car & the lack of attention I get on the roads with the FiST is amazing. Many friends of mine still can't get over the fact that it has turbo with a 6 speed.
However, I am a turbo AWD at heart & the "FoRS" is very strong within me. So next year will be interesting on what car #17 could be. [thumb]

SPhilli911

I recently drove my ST for a good 2 hour drive and it was pretty uncomfortable. I love the Recaros, but they aren't great for long drives. I once drove my old STI 10 hours to Canada and it was shockingly comfortable. I really can't picture doing that same drive in my ST.

My dad has a 2014 WRX hatch, which I've driven a few times. I agree it feels very fast and pulls real nice always puts a smile on my face, but cheap interior is a bummer. Going from the ST to the WRX, the interior of the WRX is very spacious and the seats aren't so stiff. It's definitely a better road trip car, but to me it isn't as fun. I hate the clutch, the steering feels so bland. I do, however, like the power, the AWD, and the exhaust note. Two different cars, depends what you want.

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #10
Going from the ST to the WRX, the interior of the WRX is very spacious and the seats aren't so stiff. It's definitely a better road trip car, but to me it isn't as fun. I hate the clutch, the steering feels so bland. I do, however, like the power, the AWD, and the exhaust note. Two different cars, depends what you want.
Those are exactly the same feelings I got from driving the WRX for 20 minutes. Much more comfortable, but less refined/precise. For where currently at in life (no kids, fresh out of college), the ST is going to serve me well. A few years down the road though, I can very easily see the appeal of a fast "Dad wagon".

jeff

2000 Post Club
Nice thread. I drove a modded STi for 4 years and while it was ridiculously fast, I don't miss it. The Fiesta ST is slower but WAY more fun and WAY more engaging. Compared to it the Scooby felt like a one trick pony.

It's been a few years though since I had my Subaru. But for comparison sake, [SCAMMER ALERT] a 2012 WRX hatch. Just a few days after I bought my Fiesta, I drove his car about 20 miles. So boring.

Glad to be in the Fiesta ST world.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I had an 07 Forester XT I bought for a family/ski car and started the mods the next day but as usually got carried away but it became a far better vehicle and shockingly fast in autocross and on road race tracks yet still hit 28MPG on road trips but $30k into mods and I wanted more power but Subies cost a fortune to build right, I would of had a $90k car if I kept it! I found 4WD great for snow and mud, etc but far less engaging for quick driving, to easy. I had a turbo Matrix before it and a SC Scion TC at the same time that were much more fun. I also had a race Vette and a bit later a street Vette I traded the F XT on and a few Miatas in that era but in the end I like my Fiesta ST much better than all of them, really:)

I saw a brand new WRX on the road by me yesterday and I was in my dually and still the WRX looked like a tank compared to the ST when I pulled up to it a few minutes later I just grinned ear to ear:)

MPA

I had a stg 1 '09. Definitely nowhere near as nimble as the FiST, but I still enjoyed it once I learned how to drive it since it was my 1st AWD car. Got really shitty gas mileage though. It was a beast in bad weather for sure.

I was going to get a '15 WRX, but got my FiST because I needed to downsize due to a new wife, and she'll need a car soon :)

I had a 340whp 354wtq 2010 WRX prior to the fiesta, I don't miss it. The exhaust note maybe, but nothing else haha.

DesertFox

If your looking for a bigger car, slightly better cruiser why not consider a Focus ST? I'm coming from a 2009 STI which I ended up selling it to my younger brother, been regretting it ever since. I was looking for a daily driver and crossed shopped a fiesta st, focus st, and a used 2008-2009 STI. I also test drove the new WRX and to be honest I was very impressed. It's loads better and actually quite comparable to my STI, they've improved the transmission significantly, though nothing beats the feel of the STI transmission. It really is a shame they didn't make the new wrx in a hatchback version. I liked the fiesta st but it just didn't quite fit my space needs so I went for focus ST. For my purposes it seemed to suit my needs perfectly, made a good daily driver, still fun around town, good space, nicer interior. A used 2008-2009 STI was my first choice but those hatchback hold onto their value like crazy and they're either too expensive, had lots of mileage, mods, or had questionable histories. In the end I'm glad I went with the Focus ST, the nicer interior definitely makes it much more liveable day to day.

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #16
If your looking for a bigger car, slightly better cruiser why not consider a Focus ST? I'm coming from a 2009 STI which I ended up selling it to my younger brother, been regretting it ever since. I was looking for a daily driver and crossed shopped a fiesta st, focus st, and a used 2008-2009 STI. I also test drove the new WRX and to be honest I was very impressed. It's loads better and actually quite comparable to my STI, they've improved the transmission significantly, though nothing beats the feel of the STI transmission. It really is a shame they didn't make the new wrx in a hatchback version. I liked the fiesta st but it just didn't quite fit my space needs so I went for focus ST. For my purposes it seemed to suit my needs perfectly, made a good daily driver, still fun around town, good space, nicer interior. A used 2008-2009 STI was my first choice but those hatchback hold onto their value like crazy and they're either too expensive, had lots of mileage, mods, or had questionable histories. In the end I'm glad I went with the Focus ST, the nicer interior definitely makes it much more liveable day to day.
That's what I've heard about the newer WRX's; a massive improvement. I've ridden in my friends Focus ST, and it is super nice. Bigger, but I'm not sure it's more comfortable. The front seats are pretty cramped, and the Recaros are just as aggressive. Bigger back seat though! I will keep it in mind, thanks for the insight!

DesertFox

I don't know if its the ST3 trim with the full leather recaros. For some reason I felt that they were more comfortable. When I test drove a ST2 with partial recaros I found it to be extremely cramped. I almost went with the base ST seats. The Focus ST cockpit is a bit cramped feeling, I actually found the fiesta ST to be much more open feeling especially in the drivers seat, but that was one without the recaros. However those recaros just look so darn good. I was also considering the VW GTI, everyone says its much more refined, more comfortable, better interior, great tuning potential and was actually what I was leaning towards if I found the recaros to be too uncomfortable. I also got too good of a deal on the Focus ST3 that I couldn't pass up.

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #18
I don't know if its the ST3 trim with the full leather recaros. For some reason I felt that they were more comfortable. When I test drove a ST2 with partial recaros I found it to be extremely cramped. I almost went with the base ST seats. The Focus ST cockpit is a bit cramped feeling, I actually found the fiesta ST to be much more open feeling especially in the drivers seat, but that was one without the recaros. However those recaros just look so darn good. I was also considering the VW GTI, everyone says its much more refined, more comfortable, better interior, great tuning potential and was actually what I was leaning towards if I found the recaros to be too uncomfortable. I also got too good of a deal on the Focus ST3 that I couldn't pass up.
I test drove a newer GTI with my Dad a few years back. They are miles ahead of anything else in the segment with regards to interior quality and comfort. Not to mention the DSG is supposed to be decent. Problem with those, as far as I'm concerned, is maintenance costs. My Dad's '02 Passat became a money pit the second the warranty ran out. Not so much of an issue with a brand new one, but still something to consider.

I'm not sure how they managed to make the FoST feel so cramped. I think it's because the dashboard is so damn big! Lol. That and the center console seems to cut sideways into the space your knee would otherwise occupy.

Sounds like the Recaros for the Fiesta ST are definitely hit or miss. I love mine at 6'1 and 210 pounds.

It's too bad your experience with the WRX wasn't the best. Kind of one of those "Never meet your heroes" type of moments.

OP
Manuel
Thread Starter #20
Sounds like the Recaros for the Fiesta ST are definitely hit or miss. I love mine at 6'1 and 210 pounds.
It sure seems that way. I've had friends sit in my car who absolutely love them, and others who think they are the most uncomfortable thing they've ever sat in. I think they're awesome...for shorts amount of time. They definitely came in handy during our Fall cruise. I would've been sliding all over the place in anything else.

It's too bad your experience with the WRX wasn't the best. Kind of one of those "Never meet your heroes" type of moments.
A good friend of mine said the exact same thing to me when I was describing the test drive to him haha. I'm really hoping a test drive in a 2015+ will be a better experience.