Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Dumb exhaust question.

I don't believe there are no dumb questions. This may be one of them. Does the Thermal R&D (or any other cat back) require any welding to install? I can't find any detailed installation videos for thermal online.

Last edited:
OP
M
Thread Starter #4
Did you even try to Google search it? I mean it took my less than 30 seconds to find their website with a picture. https://thermalrd.com/products/2014-2017-ford-fiesta-catback-exhaust It looks like slip joints to me and you can see the clamps.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've been to their website and looked at it. I've also watched some videos on it. I don't know much and someone who knows more than me (but who is also not very knowledgeable) thought it might involve welding. Try to assume the best in people. Some are just trying to learn.

Last edited:
Slip Joints on Stainless Steel leak, so if you don't want leaks that Thermal system WILL require welding. Mild steel systems also leak when first installed but when they start to rust that rust will "heal" the leaks.

If you want a system that won't irritate your neighbors but will get a bit rowdy at full throttle I can recommend the COBB 2 1/2 inch system. It's 304 Stainless throughout and it's also a fully flanged system with gaskets supplied.

OP
M
Thread Starter #7
Slip Joints on Stainless Steel leak, so if you don't want leaks that Thermal system WILL require welding. Mild steel systems also leak when first installed but when they start to rust that rust will "heal" the leaks.

If you want a system that won't irritate your neighbors but will get a bit rowdy at full throttle I can recommend the COBB 2 1/2 inch system. It's 304 Stainless throughout and it's also a fully flanged system with gaskets supplied.
Good information, thank you. I specifically wanted the Thermal because of how it is resonated and shouldn't drone. Hopefully its not a $700 mistake. My neighbors are shooting all the time, so a loud car probably wont bother them.

DangerMouse

Thermal is very tame unless getting on it. I asked my neighbors and they never hear me, I leave for work at 5am. It doesn't drone and I am very sensitive to drone. I personally had a few issues with the clamps not staying tight, so I had a shop tack weld the clamps to the exhaust and it's been good ever since.

Yeah, but you are missing 4 cylinders. Good old boys like their guns and their V8's. You may want to wander over there with a 6 pack and get to know them, Might be one of those fellows is a welder.

OP
M
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, but you are missing 4 cylinders. Good old boys like their guns and their V8's. You may want to wander over there with a 6 pack and get to know them, Might be one of those fellows is a welder.
I think I'm the only guy within 5miles who doesn't drive a pickup.

OP
M
Thread Starter #11
Thermal is very tame unless getting on it. I asked my neighbors and they never hear me, I leave for work at 5am. It doesn't drone and I am very sensitive to drone. I personally had a few issues with the clamps not staying tight, so I had a shop tack weld the clamps to the exhaust and it's been good ever since.
That's what I have heard. I had seen a video or read some post (I can't remember which one) where someone was talking about just that. It's part of where my confusion stemmed from.

DangerMouse

That's what I have heard. I had seen a video or read some post (I can't remember which one) where someone was talking about just that. It's part of where my confusion stemmed from.
It can happen with any exhaust that uses slip clamps. Some don't have issues at all. But I wouldn't worry too much about it. The exhaust is definitely worth it. I know one guy on here had it installed and fully welded without the clamps. Not sure I would go that far.

Dpro

6000 Post Club

This is just not true stop spreading misinformation. I own a Thermal and have had no problems with leaks. Some have some have not. Its not situation where you will require welding. A few have resorted to doing it because they felt it fixed a problem they were having lots of us are running the exhaust without leaks.

P.S. my exhaust has been on my car for 10k without leaks.

Last edited: