Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Eco Mode in the Winter??

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Really didn't know where to put this question, but is it worth it to run the Eco Mode Map during the winter? Any pros or cons of running it or not running it??

Thanks, as always.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I tried eco mode a few times out of shear curiosity to see if it made much of a difference for me and it's a wash. I learned two things-
A. I can limit boost just fine with my foot.
B. There will inevitably come a time that I might need immediate boost.

I'm a pretty attentive driver, but I'm prone to err just like any other human and I live in a city full of asshats. After inadvertently pulling out in front of someone that was traveling well over the speed limit I realized that I would rather have the power available and not being used than the opposite. I might feel differently if I lived somewhere that experienced regular snow accumulation though as the extra power is worthless on a cold day, let alone a day with slick road.

I did it, for a couple of reasons:

1. Fuel economy. I was hoping for a big increase, but I'm getting just about 1 mpg more... Or that could be me being light footed with the winter tires.
2. Tire preservation - I bought expensive michelin ice X3's I want them to last, Limiting power through limited boost and torque is nice.
3. Money savings - Economy mode allows for use of regular 87 AKI fuel. I am saving 40 cents a gallon vs premium. even if improved MPG is a wash I save massively at the pump price.

The car is still pretty fast even in eco mode. Faster than my fiance's 06 civic EX. That's good enough for me, as we have driven that 70,000 miles around the USA and Canada, no NEED for more power or speed.

I say do it! and enjoy the $$$ savings, so you can blow it out the turbo come summer!

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
I'll try it and see how it goes. Thanks for the input guys.

iso100

1000 Post Club
With on the fly map switching you can always jump back to the performance map as needed.

I put my snow tires on this Tuesday and I'm running in Eco most of the time.

Well, I've had economy mode with the COBB AP tune going for a month now and 4 fuel ups. I followed the same roads and traffic times with my 5 day work week. The tests I would consider very accurate, only a few variables, such as temperature. 45F - 20F, and heated seat usage, and Now I am on super soft Winter Tires.
OIL: Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20

My Results with hand calculation:

COBB AP 93 Tune = 29.0 MPG - Summer tires
COBB AP 87 Tune = 30.4 MPG - Winter Tires
STOCK Tune 87 Fuel = 32.3 MPG - Winter Tires

Next tank I'll run STOCK Tune 93 Fuel and see what the results are after at least 4 tanks. I should say I am very light on the throttle, and mostly shifting when the shift light turns on.