Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Eibach Pro Kit Springs Installed by RallySport Direct!

Today we took our little Fiesta out for some spirited driving and wanted; to see how it felt cruising around some cones. I have to say, it felt pretty nimble and a blast to drive. But I will say that it felt like it could use some improvement. We looked around for a bit and decided to throw on a set of the Pro Kit springs from Eibach. We have run these on the shop Focus ST for over a year now with nothing but great things to say about them. They perform well on track day, and they are very easy to live with on a day to day basis. They aren't too stiff and doesn't ride like a wagon.

While we were installing these springs, we documented our installation and wanted to share it with you guys for informational purposes. Keep in mind that If you're not familiar with suspension parts, or spring compression, you probably should take your car to a shop and have them install it. Also, as with any suspension change, be sure to take your car to get an alignment shortly after getting your springs installed. No matter how well you think you have them set up, chances are, they are at least a little whacky.

Here's a blurb from Eibach about them:

The Eibach Pro-Kit precisely lowers your car's center of gravity, reducing squat during acceleration, body roll in corners and excessive nose-dive under braking. When combined with Plus-1 or Plus-2 wheels and tires, the Eibach Pro-Kit is the finishing touch to a winning recipe for performance. Pro-Kit also reduces excessive fender-well clearance, making your car look just as hot as it performs.

Here are some technical specifications:

Mfgr. Warranty: Million Mile
Adjustable: No
Drop Height Front: .8 in
Drop Height Rear: .7 in
Drop Height Front Metric: 20mm
Drop Height Rear Metric: 18mm

For more information, click here: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Eibach-35143-140-Pro-Kit-Lowering-Springs&src=8u25kjc9

Here's a picture of the springs waiting to get installed, you can see this is a very simple, basic kit so you won't have to worry about changing bump stops, or any other suspension parts.

For a quick over view of what we need to take off, here's a shot of the bolts and nuts and clips we need to remove that are behind the tire/wheel. These are all pretty easy to remove. Don't let it intimidate you! We don't have a picture of it, but we marked the top hat and strut tower for reference for re-installing the strut. This is a good time to do this so you know what direction the top hat needs to be when re-installing the struts.

Here are the three strut tower upper nuts that need to come off on the passenger side

And these are the bolts on the driver's side. Note: you have to move the master cylinder reservoir out of the way to get to these bolts. There are 2 10 mm bolts holding it on.

Now we have room to get to the 3 13 mm bolts behind the reservoir.

Now that we have those loose, we can move on to the fender well, we took the end link loose first. We used our impact to break it loose and had to grab our 3/16 allen wrench to hold the stud while using our 15 mm wrench to get it off all the way.

Now there is a rubber grommet holding the abs line in place, as well as a zip tie, just pull the rubber grommet out of the sleeve, and cut the zip tie and it will be free.

Holding the brake line in place is a 10 mm bolt through a bracket on the side of the strut, simply remove the bolt and the brake line will be loose.

Next we'll get the bolts that hold the strut to the spindle on removed. These are a little odd, as the head is a 15 mm and the nut is an 18 mm. We marked the bolts and strut and spindle so we could get the strut as close to factory specs as we could before taking it to get the alignment done. This isn't perfect, we still need to align the car, but this is a way you can get it close enough not to cause too much damage on the way to the alignment shop.

http://rallysportdirect.smugmug.com/Other/Eibach-pro-kit/i-qpbHpvR/0/O/IMG_0883.jpg[/img

[img] http://rallysportdirect.smugmug.com/Other/Eibach-pro-kit/i-8wXs8Pt/0/O/IMG_0880.jpg

Now that we have them marked, we can remove them.

Then we can slide the strut out of the top hat and slide it down and out. The brake like will be in the way slightly, just hold it back as you slide it out.

You will need a spring compressor to perform the next step; you can rent them from your local auto parts store. Place them on opposite side of the spring and try to compress as many as you can. Tighten the bolts down to compress the spring.

Next we will need to remove the top hat nut. It's an 18 mm, we took our impact and zipped it off, it came right off, you can get it off whatever way you find easiest.

Remove the top hat

Slide the dust boot out. (the bump stop will likely come out with it.

Now the spring will come off of the strut.

Here's a look at the stock springs vs. the Eibach spring. They appear close in size, but the secret is in the spring rates that gives you the ride height.

We have to compress the Eibach springs before putting them on the strut, so take your spring compressor and clamp down on the Eibach spring

Once you get the spring on the strut, re-assemble the strut in reverse of the disassembly, and then you can put it back on the car in reverse of the removal.

Moving on to the rear, here's a look at how it's set up, this was the easiest spring installation I have ever done, there are 2 bolts holding the shocks in place, remove them, and the spring will pull right out.

They are a 15 mm bolt, just take them out and the shows will pull out as the rear suspension drops down

You'll have to wiggle the spring just a little bit and it will pull right out.

Now we can slide the Eibach springs in place, making sure that the spring sits in the seats like this

This looks a little odd (like the spring isn't in the right spot) but it is correct, once you jack the suspension back up it will look normal

Jack up the rear axle and replace the bolts in both shocks and you're done! See the rears really were just as simple as can be.

Now you can go out and drive it around a little bit to get the springs to settle, they will settle just slightly over time, but here's what it looks like fresh off the lift.

Next we will be taking it to the alignment shop, then take it to the track for some fun! Stay tuned, as we are just getting started with this project! Thanks for reading.

Hope this helps
Corby

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Thanks a million for this information and it came out great.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I agree with the other comments. Very useful information and thank you so much for sharing.

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #7
Thanks for the comments guys! We really enjoy doing these write-ups to help the community! We have a lot of big plans in store for this car. We'll try to do write-ups for all of installs.

Corby

Good stuff! I'm hopefully doing mine this weekend and will more than likely refer to this more than once. Did you note any change in camber after the install that was not able to be corrected with an alignment?

Like your intercooler writeup, this is very well documented and certainly will help others. Nicely done!

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #10
Good stuff! I'm hopefully doing mine this weekend and will more than likely refer to this more than once. Did you note any change in camber after the install that was not able to be corrected with an alignment?
We took the car to the dealership to get an alignment done and everything was within factory specifications. This is NOT to say that you shouldn't take your's to get an alignment after you install any suspension products. There was some negative camber in the rear, but it was still within specs. My alignment guy said that there is no adjustment for camber/caster on these cars from the factory so we are currently looking in to what's available aftermarket, and talking with manufacturers to see if they are willing to make something for this car.

Corby

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #12
I would say that the ride quality is a little more rigid than stock, the handling seems to be improved a bit when coming into a turn with speed and exiting the turn seems a bit more stable and neutral. The ride height is just about perfect in my opinion. It's lower, but it's still high enough that you don't have to approach driveways parallel to avoid scraping. Overall, these seem to be a solid investment for someone looking for a little lower ride and a bit more performance out of a daily driven occasional track day car.

hope this helps

Corby

OP
RallySport Direct
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for taking the the time to share your photos and install tips HaveBlue83.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

Thanks for the write-up! My new shocks are on the way, and with one exception, I will be following your guide! Instead of trying to ballpark the alignment, I will be using all of the pulling/shoving/prying I can to try and get a bit more negative camber.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Thanks for the write-up! My new shocks are on the way, and with one exception, I will be following your guide! Instead of trying to ballpark the alignment, I will be using all of the pulling/shoving/prying I can to try and get a bit more negative camber.
OR,
You could use adjustable camber bolts as I did when installing the prototype set of these Eibach springs.
With the adjustable bolts I was able to negative 2.5 degrees of camber.

Dave

OR,
You could use adjustable camber bolts as I did when installing the prototype set of these Eibach springs.
With the adjustable bolts I was able to negative 2.5 degrees of camber.

Dave
I wish you were right. Camber bolts aren't allowed by the factory service manual, right? If not, I can't use them or I'm out of H-Street.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I wish you were right. Camber bolts aren't allowed by the factory service manual, right? If not, I can't use them or I'm out of H-Street.
I am not aware of race rules as I do not race under any rules.
I just know that the adjustable bolts work just fine.

You could slot the holes on the struts about 1/8 inch and this would never be seen once the OE flange bolts and nuts are back in place.
BTW, don't tell anyone.

Dave

I am not aware of race rules as I do not race under any rules.
I just know that the adjustable bolts work just fine.

You could slot the holes on the struts about 1/8 inch and this would never be seen once the OE flange bolts and nuts are back in place.
BTW, don't tell anyone.

Dave
That'd be great if I was willing to cheat! But I'm not, so no-go for me, haha. I have used the camber bolts before (Acura RSX-S) and have adjustable upper control arms on my commuter (how backwards is that?!?). Part of the fun of stock/street class is that it's more about skill than how much money you can throw at the car. I appreciate the suggestions though!

Anyway, back to the write up....once again, thanks and great job guys! Didn't mean to hijack!