Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only Hardware

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hardware with Tune. Turbo? Internals?

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Zormecteon

Member ID
I'm curious. I have seen some who have had engine failures and wonder what's been done or not done to the engines that have failed.
Are the stock engines basically bulletproof or defective?
Do only modded engines fail?
Do you abuse the car? Drive it on the track?

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Member ID
I abuse my car periodically. Engine failure at 21k miles and I believe it was caused by excessive crankcase pressure. Had basic bolt ons and a custom tune.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
Blew mine with full bolt ons, and a stratified pop tune at 21k on my last FiST. It had seen multiple track days and daily abuse. I was not nice to the car. Ford replaced it under warranty.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
I abuse my car periodically. Engine failure at 21k miles and I believe it was caused by excessive crankcase pressure. Had basic bolt ons and a custom tune.

Weren't you the guy that had their boost control actuator fail? This is a quote from you from the other day:

I was running way too much boost because my wastegate solenoid seized. Basically the only way for that boost pressure to release without letting off throttle was closed it built up more and more then went boom. I didn't know it at the time because my map sensor couldn't pick it up but based on the rpm I was at I would assume I was somewhere in the 35-40 range. Stock turbo took it like a champ but the engine hated it. I was running basic bolt ons when this happened.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Yes the crankcase pressure was built by a failed wastegate

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Member ID
In my survey would've asked...
"Did you warranty it after having modified and blown that engine?"

Apparently a lot of folks would've answered, "yes" or "I tried"...

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Member ID
Yes the crankcase pressure was built by a failed wastegate

That’s not how that works. Your failure was due to too high of a cylinder pressure, not crankcase pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Member ID
That’s not how that works. Your failure was due to too high of a cylinder pressure, not crankcase pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My understanding of it is excessive crankcase pressure can cause blow by from the oil pan which can also squeeze by the pistons and cause a condition where oil is wiped off the side of the piston allowing for inadequate lubrication of the piston and the cylinder walls.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Member ID
Also I should add, the car ran fine up to 5500 rpm. The compression ratio should be set. Even if the car ran the exact same boost at 3000 rpm I should have seen a check engine light for excessive knock or detonation before this happened. Instead I received the light after complete engine failure after 5500 rpm at the same compression ratio I would have had after full boost kicked in. This was working for nearly a month.

Member ID
I wanna throw my input into this since my ass is banned on Facebook and can’t comment on the JST page because this came up today about the focus st. The reality is very simple the fiesta st and the 1.6 aren’t over stressed at all in this little car, it helps a lot because the engine doesn’t have to work hard to push the little Fucker. Also the 1.6 doesn’t have the major ringland or rod issues the 2.0 and 2.3 get Farley regularly. As a result most of the engine failures are the direct result of major hp, boost, abuse or just plain bad luck. But unless you’re making 350whp and beating the shit out of it, i wouldn’t lose any sleep over this engine IMO

Member ID
I wanna throw my input into this since my ass is banned on Facebook and can’t comment on the JST page because this came up today about the focus st. The reality is very simple the fiesta st and the 1.6 aren’t over stressed at all in this little car, it helps a lot because the engine doesn’t have to work hard to push the little Fucker. Also the 1.6 doesn’t have the major ringland or rod issues the 2.0 and 2.3 get Farley regularly. As a result most of the engine failures are the direct result of major hp, boost, abuse or just plain bad luck. But unless you’re making 350whp and beating the shit out of it, i wouldn’t lose any sleep over this engine IMO
The 1.6 is used in vehicles like the Escape, Transit connect, and others in europe that are significantly heavier. I feel like its probably over built from the factory to take punishment and this is why even with modifications and big turbos the engines are fairly reliable.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Member ID
Having input from people who track their FiST on a daily basis would be cool. I know theres alot out there and have had zero problems/

Any problems with your FiST in terms of reliability?
Don't jinx me lol! But no, I beat the shit out of my car all the time and it is still running strong. 45k miles and most are to and from the track. I change oil frequently and use a higher capacity filter. I also have a Mishimoto 160 Thermostat and Mishimoto radiator.. Call me crazy but I use the same Chevron gas station (which I test) too.