Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine internals.

I’ve been seriously looking into throwing a good bit of power into my car. I think I want to sit right around the 400ish whp mark. I’m just curious what all engine internals I should look at to hold that power. I definitely want to do supporting mods before I start giving the car some serious power. I already know I’m gonna do a set of headstuds which is pretty basic but I’m just curious what everyone else has been doing and what I should be looking into. I know these 1.6 blocks hold together very well from everything I’ve read but it would definitely help me sleep at night knowing I have some things to help back it up.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I’ve been seriously looking into throwing a good bit of power into my car. I think I want to sit right around the 400ish whp mark. I’m just curious what all engine internals I should look at to hold that power. I definitely want to do supporting mods before I start giving the car some serious power. I already know I’m gonna do a set of headstuds which is pretty basic but I’m just curious what everyone else has been doing and what I should be looking into. I know these 1.6 blocks hold together very well from everything I’ve read but it would definitely help me sleep at night knowing I have some things to help back it up.
Here's an analysis that talks about exactly what you're thinking about doing, pushing the engine up to around 400 horsepower. It goes through the engine part by part and analyzes how much power it thinks various components can handle. I think you will find this helpful.
https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-analysis-turbocharged-direct-injection-ccvtc/

An interesting read that FAILS to mention the known weak points for the 1.6 Ecoboost. Those are the cylinders at the base to the open deck block, the machined cooling groove between the cylinders at the deck, and the pistons. As a result this engine tends to have cylinders crack at the base, head gaskets leak between the center cylinders, and the pistons can blow a hole in the top of the piston. If you want to hit 400 HP or more I would suggest that you start with a brand new MRX Long Block from Montune. Because it offers CnC ported heads, a cylinder support system at the deck, and Forged pistons far stronger than the OEM cast pistons. Alongside that you will need to increase the cooling capacity of the engine, which means a new higher capacity radiator, a larger inintercooler, a stand alone Oil Cooler, and a higher capacity intake setup. I would also suggest purchasing a spare Long Block because at 400 HP you will not get a normal service life out of this engine.

Hey, if you expect 400 HP to be cheap better think again. Once you have the engine built then you'll need to do something about the transmission, the half shafts, and Traction. End result a used Hellcat may actually cost less that a 400 HP Fiesta.

Is it possible to pull out the Ecoboost 1.6 and swap in an Ecoboost 2.0?

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
An interesting read that FAILS to mention the known weak points for the 1.6 Ecoboost. Those are the cylinders at the base to the open deck block, the machined cooling groove between the cylinders at the deck, and the pistons. As a result this engine tends to have cylinders crack at the base, head gaskets leak between the center cylinders, and the pistons can blow a hole in the top of the piston. If you want to hit 400 HP or more I would suggest that you start with a brand new MRX Long Block from Montune. Because it offers CnC ported heads, a cylinder support system at the deck, and Forged pistons far stronger than the OEM cast pistons. Alongside that you will need to increase the cooling capacity of the engine, which means a new higher capacity radiator, a larger inintercooler, a stand alone Oil Cooler, and a higher capacity intake setup. I would also suggest purchasing a spare Long Block because at 400 HP you will not get a normal service life out of this engine.

Hey, if you expect 400 HP to be cheap better think again. Once you have the engine built then you'll need to do something about the transmission, the half shafts, and Traction. End result a used Hellcat may actually cost less that a 400 HP Fiesta.
Hmm you definitely have an interesting point. What I don’t understand then is I’ve read in a couple different other places around 300ish wheel is still pretty much a somewhat safe spot for these motors to hold together and it’s not till after that that you really start to come into some issues. I watched this video that amazed me the other night which was the white fist that was running 10.9 in the 1/4 and he claimed he was running a stock block with a upgraded clutch setup and it didn’t even have an LSD.here’s the video link you have to skip till towards the end (
View: https://youtu.be/R4-5GogAxIk
) Now the truth of that to me is unknown but I know he said in the video he was just running an insane amount of boost and normally on a 100 shot of the good stuff. Now I can imagine the lifespan of that engine is probably not great what so ever. And as you said these things are not cheap and that’s not the point that I’m worried about I’ll pour the money into the car I love my car. I just want a really good running car that I can still take out on the weekends and take to a couple days at the strip.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
And correct me if I’m wrong but don’t our 1.6s hold together better than the 2.0s?
Yes that is true . It’s also true most of the serious drag car guys either don’t care about blowing up stock blocks or do go for specific builds . Though people sometimes fail to remember if your savy picking up a stock engine low mileage used from the yards is not that hard as Ford stuck them in Escapes for days. Same damn engine just different ecu program.
So ya do not bother about thinking about a 2.0 and oh if you are really into learning about builds you should read and watch Tuneplus‘s blog and video’s as Adam had dived deep into building these engines right including different block options to overcome factory deficiencies.