Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine overheated, car is BONE STOCK, now what?

Was driving on the highway going at a leisurely pace, not even pushing it at all or going into boost when coolant temps suddenly shot up as I entered the off ramp. I turned the engine off but too late...I coasted to a stop and discovered the engine now has significant blow by coming out of the dipstick and it runs much rougher so I feel as though one cylinder has been damaged, the head gasket failed or the head warped.

Anyways it still runs but I honestly won't touch the car until I get a new engine. I already searched new and used low milage engines but they're of costly for what they are. High milage motors are 1.7k (144k miles) at the very cheapest and low milage ones are 3k+++ to 4k+. So at this point I might as well save for a mountune block and by a new ported head from puma speed.

What are you guys suggestions? I thought about getting a used block and head and mating them together but machine shop would charge around 1.5k to 2.5k depending on what I want done.
complete used shortblock/Head//Gaskets are 1.5k used. So about $2900-$3900 when combining the cost of the parts + machining.

last but least likely scenario is if I'm patient enough, I'll get a MRX block and sleeve it, along with a puma race head, with race cams. However after looking into machining it costs 9k in total.

What are your suggestions?

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Do you know why it overheated? Was there a coolant leak or something?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So if you are looking at Fiesta ST engines and only finding high prices try looking in the yards for Ford Escape engines they put the exact same engine in them just a different tune. Ford sold a ton of them so you should be able to find an Escape 1.6 for around 7-800. Just make sure it’s the Turbocharged Escape and yes they made those.

You're looking for this partnumber for a new block: BM5G-6015-DC
Engine codes vary from JTJA, JTJB, JTDA, JTDB, JTBA, JTBB, JTWA, JTWB for used or refurbished engines. Ofcourse the 160hp 1.6 turbo ecoboost blocks can be used as well. I believe the engine is excactly the same, the tune is just different.

Hope it helps narrow the search for a usable engine.

My plans for my, still, broken engine is sleeves and forged internals and stock head with piper stage 2 cams. But money is scarce for me atm. I do have a shopping list if you're interested with some part numbers. Only thing I don't have partnumbers for are the sleeves.

Last edited:

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
I would get a may 2014 or later engine. From what I remember, there was a design failure in the block/head that would lead to localized overheating & cracking. The recall involved did not fix the issue but did add a coolent level sensor. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ford-recalls-440k-vehicles-due-to-fire-risk.13373/ You did not mention what year your car is but its failure may have been due to this.

OP
I
Thread Starter #8
So if you are looking at Fiesta ST engines and only finding high prices try looking in the yards for Ford Escape engines they put the exact same engine in them just a different tune. Ford sold a ton of them so you should be able to find an Escape 1.6 for around 7-800. Just make sure it’s the Turbocharged Escape and yes they made those.
Even better, going to look into this. Hell why not have another to build up.

OP
I
Thread Starter #9
You're looking for this partnumber for a new block: BM5G-6015-DC
Engine codes vary from JTJA, JTJB, JTDA, JTDB, JTBA, JTBB, JTWA, JTWB for used or refurbished engines. Ofcourse the 160hp 1.6 turbo ecoboost blocks can be used as well. I believe the engine is excactly the same, the tune is just different.

Hope it helps narrow the search for a usable engine.

My plans for my, still, broken engine is sleeves and forged internals and stock head with piper stage 2 cams. But money is scarce for me atm. I do have a shopping list if you're interested with some part numbers. Only thing I don't have partnumbers for are the sleeves.
Yeah I was thinking going on an all out build but that's very costly.
This would be an AMAZING time to buy a ported head and cam it, but money is scarce...so it will take some time.
Since the engines are cheap, it seems only logical to install puma speed sleeves but most people probably back off when they realize it costs $225+/- per sleeve to be installed at a machine, plus the cost of boring, honing, etc... Correct me if i'm wrong.

OP
I
Thread Starter #10
I would get a may 2014 or later engine. From what I remember, there was a design failure in the block/head that would lead to localized overheating & cracking. The recall involved did not fix the issue but did add a coolent level sensor. https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/ford-recalls-440k-vehicles-due-to-fire-risk.13373/ You did not mention what year your car is but its failure may have been due to this.
It's a 2015 so this makes it even all the stranger, maybe ford never really fixed it after all???

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
It's a 2015 so this makes it even all the stranger, maybe ford never really fixed it after all???
I think the recall covers some 2015 models, even though the article linked only mentions 2014. you should be able to search under your VIN number and easily find out if you're affected by the recall.
Ford evidently did fix the problem, there was discussion on here in the past about a new cylinder head with a new part number being used on the newer models, I believe from somewhere in 2015 on.

I've got a 17' and mine overheated on a very hot day and I was not pushing it. Luckily no damage- I have since installed a Mountune radiator and it has been good for a year regardless of temps.

If I recall correctly the recall on 2013-14 were to install a coolant level sensor, nothing more. Only to warn on low coolant levels. They never did change the weak sleeves in the block and the radiator is still the same.