Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine Swap... 1.5 to 1.6 ecoboost

So i know im a little out of place on this forum. i dont have a Fiesta. However i do have a 2016 Ford Fusion with a 1.5 ecoboost. ive been researching swaps, and it seems like my best options are either the 1.6, 2.0 or the 2.5. I came on this forum to ask about the 1.6. It is reliable? Is it quick? has anyone else swaped a 1.6 before? Any tips?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
So i know im a little out of place on this forum. i dont have a Fiesta. However i do have a 2016 Ford Fusion with a 1.5 ecoboost. ive been researching swaps, and it seems like my best options are either the 1.6, 2.0 or the 2.5. I came on this forum to ask about the 1.6. It is reliable? Is it quick? has anyone else swaped a 1.6 before? Any tips?
The 1.6 L EcoBoost in our Fiesta STs has been quite reliable. It is used almost stock in the Formula Ford racing series, which gives me a good feeling about its durability since it can handle the demands of racing. Anecdotally, people report pushing it up to 300 horsepower without having any major reliability issues, past that point, it becomes less certain. There was a recall on certain '14 and '15 models for an issue with the cylinder head which could cause coolant to leak, so I would advise getting one that's not subject to the recall.
It's quite quick stock also,and a variety of tunes are available to add extra power if that's what you want. I don't know how much more a Fusion weighs, but that would obviously affect the quickness.
I haven't heard of anybody swapping it into a Fusion, but that's an interesting idea. Good luck.

Dialcaliper

2013-2014 Fusions came with the same
1.6 Ecoboost as the Escape and other Ford models (slightly detuned from the ST engine) except for the more aggressive ECU tuning, it’s literally the same engine block and turbo, so mechanically it should be an easy fit. The only tricky part would be getting the ST ECU to play nice with the rest of the car’s computer modules, as I’m not aware of tuning solutions for the Fusion.

Pumaspeed has tuning boxes that work with the Mondeo 1.5T (identical car to the Fusion), but I’m not sure the UK and US ECUs are cross compatible (the UK and US Fiesta ST aren’t the same)

The 1.5L is in essence the same engine as the 1.6L with a smaller stroke. They produce roughly the same HP and torque as they are very similar.

1.6L: 81.4mm stroke
1.5L: 76.45mm stroke

They are both 79.00mm bore.

My take on this, don't go for the 1.6, go bigger if you want to swap engines. The 2.0 should be pretty stout, from the Focus ST producing upwards of 350HP on stock internals.

Sources:
https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...ecoboost-family/ford-1-5l-ecoboost-i4-engine/
https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/ford-ecoboost-1-6l-analysis-turbocharged-direct-injection-ccvtc/

Last edited: