Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine....

Just a quickie.....

If one puts a turbo on the Fiesta ST....and say the engine sends a rod....you know....kaboom.

Does the turbo survive or is it as good a scrap.

I got some high miles on the motor and plan to replace at some point,. but figured I could wring right out by getting a bigger turbo anticipating the uprated motor.

"Asking for as friend"

:cool:

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just a quickie.....

If one puts a turbo on the Fiesta ST....and say the engine sends a rod....you know....kaboom.

Does the turbo survive or is it as good a scrap.

I got some high miles on the motor and plan to replace at some point,. but figured I could wring right out by getting a bigger turbo anticipating the uprated motor.

"Asking for as friend"

:cool:
The answer, as with most things in life, is "it depends". It depends on how much metal material makes it into the oil pan and then eventually into the turbo's center section. It also depends on if any metal (say from a damaged piston) makes it out of the engine and into the exhaust manifold and effectively damages the turbine wheel.

If your engine blows up and you immediately shut it down and tow the car, I would think you could get away with an undamaged turbo but most people will send a piece of their piston through the turbo before they even notice there is a problem as in a lot of cases a damaged engine can still run for awhile unless something truly catastrophic happens.

Really just depends on the failure. I would not hesitate to turbo an engine with high miles honestly. I would just make sure you tune within the efficiency range of whatever turbo you choose. Lot's can go wrong when you add too much heat from running outside of the efficiency range, especially if you drive a lot and beat on your car often.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #3
So basically, a well controlled engine failure would not harm the turbo.
I wasn’t sure if the oil was filtered before it hit the turbo or how the system worked.

No experience with the FiST, but when I threw a bearing in my WRX (as one does), the turbo was toasted, but the heads were salvageable

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #5
No experience with the FiST, but when I threw a bearing in my WRX (as one does), the turbo was toasted, but the heads were salvageable
This is where my question originates. The WRX shares the same oil and it is sent though the turbocharger before it is filtered. Basically the banjo bolt catches the debris, clogs and starves the turbo of oil is my understanding.

I was curious if the FiST was like this or not. The vehicle has no sold like I thought it would so I figured I would keep it and just hustle it around.

Lets be realistic here. When an engine blows it isn't at idle. Typically it's revving near the maximum and when something lets go there is a lot of debris that is spewed out the exhaust ports. As a result you should plan on your turbo being a total loss if the engine blows. It's why If I ever decide to move to a higher capacity turbo I will start with the engine block. If I had the cash to do it now I would have the Mountune MRX short block coming my way. Unfortunately a new roof for the house and garage and a new heating/cooling system take priority.

slopoke

So basically, a well controlled engine failure would not harm the turbo.
I wasn’t sure if the oil was filtered before it hit the turbo or how the system worked.

No such thing as a "well controlled engine failure". Like others have stated, most failures happen in a high/heavy load situation, which is typically in the upper rpms.The only way not to have turbo damage is that no piston or valve material comes free.

The only failure that I can imagine that you can help minimize catastrophic damage, is an oil supply related incident. Like seeing the oil pressure drop to zero/idiot light illuminating and immediately pushing in the clutch pedal and killing the ignition.

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #8
I suppose all are fair points. I guess I'll fiddle with suspension then.
Rather not not send the turbo into turbski land if I can't help it lol.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
From the mazdaspeed community, anytime a guy blew the motor, even the ones that thought their turbo was good ended because of a quick catastrophic failure, ended up replacing them not long after.

It's worth sending it in for inspection I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
NorthLightingConcepts
Thread Starter #10
From the mazdaspeed community, anytime a guy blew the motor, even the ones that thought their turbo was good ended because of a quick catastrophic failure, ended up replacing them not long after.

It's worth sending it in for inspection I'd say.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Oh, the engine is fine, and the turbo is fine. I was contemplating getting a bigger turbo and just running that on the stock motor until it blew and then would buy the new engine, if it did fail. Was just curious how our systems worked as we do not have as extensive knowledge nor options as the WRX community does which I have long frequented.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Oh, the engine is fine, and the turbo is fine. I was contemplating getting a bigger turbo and just running that on the stock motor until it blew and then would buy the new engine, if it did fail. Was just curious how our systems worked as we do not have as extensive knowledge nor options as the WRX community does which I have long frequented.
Like any car these days, the tune is the key. I've known guys that told their tuner to push their cars to the ragged edge cause money was no object. If buying new motors ain't an issue, I'd plan a build now and start setting the parts aside along with all the needed upgrades for the BT you want.