Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Eternal Youth! End of 2021 update…

Well, in 8 days I will turn 72 and the ANALOG FiST will be nearly five years old. I must say this gem still excites even as it nearly 75K miles. Two sets of Pilot Sports and a warranty replacement of the alternator back at 15K miles are the only expenditures this car has required. Runs and performs as new, and I still look forward to driving it each and every day. At 75K, the extended power train warranty will expire, and I think I may finally pull the trigger on a MP215 and full intercooler upgrade. Gonna keep this puppy as long as I’m vertical and breathing. The only real negative is my courage limits appear to be coming down as my age continues to escalate. That’s sad. The brain is still 16 but the attachments are not so sharp…

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Same here @ 66, and with over 5 years of ownership, but only 33K miles.

One warranty blend door, one warranty passenger side sill/skirt repaint and roof repaint (antenna rust bubbling) are my only problems so far, but the seams do appear to be on the way to becoming a problem in the future. ([:(])

I am a bit reluctant to give up that reliability at all for big power, this being my one and ONLY ride (and might just be my LAST car ever, as long as there is still fuel available!), unlike most others on here.

Also, as much as everyone claims that this car's drive train is 'bombproof', and can handle all of that big power, it seems that eventually, most do have gearbox, diff, half-shaft/CV joint, etc. issues when pushing much power through it, and then actually using said power on sticky tires.

But, the results that those new waste gate threads show, with a 'sharp', but still sane tune, might just be in this car's future for me, and more than 'enough' to satiate this dinosaur, as I think that the car is quite impressive in power/acceleration, right off of the showroom floor. [wink] [thumb]

ronmcdon

as another older gentleman I can definitely relate. So good to build a relationship with a car one is passionate about.

I'm also totally okay with stock power levels and reliability.
the fiesta has been a good friend this year. have been tracking the car more than any other Ive owned.
have no been so worried about putting in the miles and thats allowed me build more a relationship with the car.
places that ive felt intimidated to visit prior like chuckwalla, laguna seca and sonoma raceway, the fiesta has been right there.
hoping to visit thunderhill, AZ motorsports park and some tracks in NV in '22 and continue the adventure and challenging my fears.

OP
fastcompany166
Thread Starter #4
Same here @ 66, and with over 5 years of ownership, but only 33K miles.

One warranty blend door, one warranty passenger side sill/skirt repaint and roof repaint (antenna rust bubbling) are my only problems so far, but the seams do appear to be on the way to becoming a problem in the future. ([:(])

I am a bit reluctant to give up that reliability at all for big power, this being my one and ONLY ride (and might just be my LAST car ever, as long as there is still fuel available!), unlike most others on here.

Also, as much as everyone claims that this car's drive train is 'bombproof', and can handle all of that big power, it seems that eventually, most do have gearbox, diff, half-shaft/CV joint, etc. issues when pushing much power through it, and then actually using said power on sticky tires.

But, the results that those new waste gate threads show, with a 'sharp', but still sane tune, might just be in this car's future for me, and more than 'enough' to satiate this dinosaur, as I think that the car is quite impressive in power/acceleration, right off of the showroom floor. [wink] [thumb]

OP
fastcompany166
Thread Starter #5
Oh yes, I forgot the blend door replacement. Also a warranty fix. I’m really on board with your comments on power/tune upgrades, and think the MP215 with improved airflow and the intercooler upgrade are pretty sane enhancements that hopefully won’t sacrifice significant reliability. Good to hear there are other fossils like me out there. Cheers!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Will hit the 70 in a few months, MP-215 from the jump and OCC. Gives just enough juice so my daughters stock FiST stay behind me. Done 5K mile so far this summer, another 1K for Turkey day. Love this car still, set cruise at 5 over, crank up old rock tunes, open an ice cold mini Dr. Pepper, crack the window and light my pipe until the next gas stop. 36 MPG avg except when cruising over 85 in the deserts or ND and it drops to 32, yuck! My grandson got a hot ride and he is ready for when it is his.
Well, in 8 days I will turn 72 and the ANALOG FiST will be nearly five years old. I must say this gem still excites even as it nearly 75K miles. Two sets of Pilot Sports and a warranty replacement of the alternator back at 15K miles are the only expenditures this car has required. Runs and performs as new, and I still look forward to driving it each and every day. At 75K, the extended power train warranty will expire, and I think I may finally pull the trigger on a MP215 and full intercooler upgrade. Gonna keep this puppy as long as I’m vertical and breathing. The only real negative is my courage limits appear to be coming down as my age continues to escalate. That’s sad. The brain is still 16 but the attachments are not so sharp…
You will enjoy 3rd gear much more after the MP-215, pulls like a train. Even though the tenor of our forum is mostly mods now the reason the car reached cult status was the stock performance worldwide. I think at our age we have the driving skills and experience to appreciate the FiST's performance and balance of the car and make the most of it. I have been rowing a gearbox for 58 years and pride myself on how smoothly this car can be driven in the twisty parts. BTW, I don't think my courage has lessened, it is simply at almost 70 I know that the sometimes lightening quick reactions needed when driving the limits are no longer there. I find a 9/10's ride is more enjoyable now than a nerve wracking 10/10's drive.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
At 63, I find that the ST has restored my enjoyment of driving. It has also restored my enjoyment of wrenching and build planning. My last car, a 01 MGM was a couch on wheels. Even the P71 variant though a little bit more fun was still a tank. The ST gives me the same feelings as my first car, a 70 Nova SS 350 4-speed.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
............. it seems that eventually, most do have gearbox, diff, half-shaft/CV joint, etc. issues when pushing much power through it, and then actually using said power on sticky tires. .............
Virtually all meaningful R&D over the decades has been directed at the progression of automatic transmissions. Since high output turbo-boosted engines have become standard, it is becoming increasingly obvious that manufacturers (not just Ford/Getrag) have done NOTHING to improve manual transmissions. They're hard to find now. Remember when manual transmissions were thought of and referred to as "standard" transmissions?