Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ethanol Content Gauge - suggestion and feeler thread

Trader history for Jason@dizzytuning (0)

I’m looking to get some input, and gauge interest, on a possible upcoming Dizzy Tuning product.

With the great success of my Fiesta E30 Flash Tune, I would like to offer a completely plug and play ethanol content gauge. I think this would be very helpful in verifying that your mix stays accurate and consistent.

It would include all the lines, the sensor, harness and gauge. No permanent modification would be required to your vehicle, and it would be completely reversible.

The gauge/display is where I could also use some input. I would like to use the digital display like shown in the photo, and make a custom Fiesta pod to house it in. I was originally thinking the storage compartment directly in front of the shifter, but am realizing that vehicles with heated seats use a portion of that compartment. So I would have to offer 2 different variants, if we use that location. The other option would be a pillar pod, but those are kinda 1999. LOL.

So what are your thoughts, and is this something that piques your interest? Any suggestions, or opinions on a good place for the display?

Thank you!!!

Attachments

I'm interested. Would this be for display purposes only? Is there any way to tie this into the ECU/ tune so that the car can adjust for actual ethanol content? My vote would be for placing it in the glove compartment.

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
I'm interested. Would this be for display purposes only? Is there any way to tie this into the ECU/ tune so that the car can adjust for actual ethanol content? My vote would be for placing it in the glove compartment.
Thanks for your input!
It would be a gauge/sensor kit and would allow you to see your ethanol mix in real time, which would be handy when running E30.

I do plan to reach out to Cobb about possible ecu adaptation and using the data to adjust tune parameters. .

koozy

3000 Post Club
Glad to see someone else possibly coming out with a kit, it really simplifies mixing fuels and seeing the results easily. IMO an E85 content gauge is not necessary to constantly look at in the cockpit. I've had mine in the glove box from the getgo ~3yrs. Once I confirm the mixture I rarely need to go back and look at it, the mixture is not going to change all of the sudden. If I were to do it all over again, I'd forgo a physical gauge and opt for the bluetooth gauge now available, fill tank with mix and confirm mix on smart device.

We reached out to Cobb ~3yrs. ago about integration and Bradon@Cobb expressed that there were no input slots on the ECU, unless an OE Sensor were to be sacrificed. The question was which sensor that could possibly be? Giving up an OE sensor doesn't sound good. If things have changed since then, it would be great if they could integrate it.

I would be very interested but unlike others here, I would like to be able to see the gauge while driving. I am not a fan of the idea of mounting it in the glove box, if for no other reason than removing the glove box has been necessary for me now and then to get behind it. Plus, why hide it? I'm not opposed to an a-pillar mount as long as it can be used with my Cobb (Pro Clip) a-pillar accessport mounting bracket. How about directly in front of the steering wheel on the column cover? Do you have a target price in mind yet?

koozy

3000 Post Club
I am not a fan of the idea of mounting it in the glove box, if for no other reason than removing the glove box has been necessary for me now and then to get behind it. Plus, why hide it?
In my case every possible pillar, pod, vent mounts, etc., look ugly in the FiST in my opinion. The FiST cockpit doesn't lend itself well to aftermarket gauges. I also prefer being a sleeper and for the E85 gauge is useless to have in view once you know the content mixture, which is a waste of real estate for me.

OP
J
Thread Starter #10
In my case every possible pillar, pod, vent mounts, etc., look ugly in the FiST in my opinion. The FiST cockpit doesn't lend itself well to aftermarket gauges. I also prefer being a sleeper and for the E85 gauge is useless to have in view once you know the content mixture, which is a waste of real estate for me.
That’s where I come in. :)
This setup will include a custom gauge/pod that will mount in the Fiesta cabin for a stealth look!

I would love to see it fill that stupid little gap in front of the shifter lol. It's not in your face like the pillar pods(good ol dsm) but still visible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Why not just offer it with a bluetooth dongle? Everyone has a smartphone these days.

https://flexconverter.com/products/universal-bluetooth-converter

Personally I would rather not stick unnecessary gauges in the car when I don't need too. That being said I would buy a plug and play kit in an instant, because I don't feel like doing the research to find a fuel line that works and make a good mounting bracket for the Conti sensor.

Why not just offer it with a bluetooth dongle? Everyone has a smartphone these days.

https://flexconverter.com/products/universal-bluetooth-converter

Personally I would rather not stick unnecessary gauges in the car when I don't need too. That being said I would buy a plug and play kit in an instant, because I don't feel like doing the research to find a fuel line that works and make a good mounting bracket for the Conti sensor.
This^^^ I would love to have a bluetooth adapter instead of a gauge

Like stated above the Bluetooth route would be cool, no need for a gauge just for the fuel.

I would be in...been wanting to do this so I can run an E30 tune with minimal guesswork

OP
J
Thread Starter #17
Thanks for all the input so far guys! Parts are arriving in to build the first kit. I will test it out on the shop car, and start working on pricing.

The Bluetooth option did come to mind, but I wasn’t tooo keen on the idea as it’s kinda dangerous to be looking at your phone while driving. Lol. At a stop would be more ideal. But since there does seem to be some interest, I would love to offer both, so everyone is happy!

One other note, is that 14-15 vehicles have a different fuel line than 16-17 vehicles (at least that’s what I have found so far in my research). It would be very helpful to me, if you guys could post some photos of your fuel line from the firewall and list the year of your vehicle. That would help me in determining what’s parts changed, and when.

Definitely interested in the gauge in the cubby hole behind the shifter. Id much rather look at my ethanol content than an empty pocket of space that is incapable of holding anything. This would be especially helpful for me since I have to travel a decent distance to get e85 so I bring it back with me in gas cans. It would be interesting to see how sitting in a gas can for a week or two affects the potency of the ethanol.

I have a 2017 non-moonroof car and there is cubby hole in front of the shifter that is perfect to hold a wallet which I would not want to give up.

Jason,

You do know the interior shot you have is for a European 2 door, right?

Ours has more room in the cubby on the dash plus the pocket the aux power is in in front of the console cup holders.