Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ethanol Gauge Install

slopoke

This is a write up of the ethanol gauge setup I am installing in my car. There are lots of options for an ethanol gauge. Standard depth gauges, slim ones and there is even a bluetooth style. You hook up a bluetooth dongle at the sensor and have the readings displayed on your phone. One reason I did not go this route, is because I read a few complaints of the app not working on some Android phones. I have a Galaxy and did not want to get everything and have it not work.

I ordered all of my parts for the ethanol sensor gauge and all of the parts came in, except I goofed on one part. I was supposed to order a 5/16" quick disconnect male to 5/16" barbed fitting. This fitting connects the sensor output line to the fuel line going to the engine. I actually ordered a 3/8" quick disconnect fitting. That was an aww sh1t moment. Well, I'm going another route to get the sensor installed at the pump. I'm going to use a 6AN 5/16" barbed fitting that will thread onto a 5/16" quick disconnect fitting.

The parts I used to install the sensor at the tank is courtesy of another forum member. He was quite detailed in his parts list and it helped me out a lot. He used a different gauge and his went into a pod fitted in the drivers side vent. A url to that thread is below.

https://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12988-Ethanol-Sensor-Install

There are a few makers of ethanol gauges. Zeitronix and Innovate. The Innovate is a really thick gauge compared to the Zeitronix, but the silver lining is that it's cheaper. Price for the Innovate gauge less sensor is $160.00

If you get the Innovate gauge, their price for the sensor is not too bad. Their price is $50.00 for the sensor. The complete kit from Zeitronix including sensor jacks the price up from $239.00 to $349.00, which is $110.00. With that said, I used a Continental sensor part number 13577429. You can get it ranging from $24.00 on up. The cheap ones are from China, so for me I went with a name brand and paid $44.00 for the sensor. Saved $66.00 buying it myself and not from Zeitronix.

Total for the hardware for my setup is roughly $350.00. Just remember the sensor and plumbing hardware will be $80.00 and upwards depending on what components you get and from whom you get them from.

So, this first pic is the hardware I'm using. Only difference is I'm not going to use the long brass fitting.

This is the Zeitronix gauge and analyzer.

The gauge itself is really slim.

So I'm doing a sensor installation at the tank pump, rather than installing it in the engine bay. I've got enough wire harnesses that I've added there already and I want to keep it fairly sanitary.

The sensor assembly is just placed there so you get how it's going to be installed.

Before you disconnect the fuel line, pull the connector off of the pump and run the car til it dies. If you don't you are gonna have a mess.

This is how it was going to be

This is the final configuration of parts.

Parts installed and leak checked.

The wires from the sensor runs up the R/H side under the door edge trim.

The analyzer is near the glove box.

I used a fuse tap at the reverse light fuse to supply power to the gauge. One thing, if you ever use a fuse tap, make sure you check which leg of the fuse is hot. You want to have the wire side opposite of the hot side. If you install it with the wire on the hot side and ever have a short, the fuse will do you no good and the cars wiring will be damaged. The left side of the fuse is the hot side. The other fuse tap is for the three AEM gauges I installed a while ago.

Here is the gauge installed in the glove box. I went this way because, I only need to see ethanol content once after refueling and so the ethanol level will not change until I refuel.

I got this idea to install the gauge in the glove box from a post another forum member made. He installed his in the glove box too.
Also, I've got three stand alone gauges that are taking up dash real estate and there is no more room.

My gauge.

This is where I got the idea from. His gauge incorporates the analyzer and gauge in one.

Last edited: