Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Feeling a bit bummed about the ST, Thinking of trading it in...

OP
Esoterikk
Thread Starter #42
Where is it? On the Seams?
Both rear door and the hood seams. 7600$ in damage after having repairs appraised by multiple body shops.

Needs two new doors and a new hood as the rust is bad enough and in the seams meaning a repair wouldn't last more than a year. I could also repair it myself but again it wouldn't last very long as I can't treat the improperly stamped seams.

It's 100% a factory defect of the stamping and painting process but Ford refuses to do anything because I'm a few months out of rust warranty.

2015 with 16,000 miles mostly used as a summer car (winter drove for one year, summer the rest)

Just my .2 cents, if I would roll over in this car *knocks on wood* I would run out and buy another one without a doubt. I’ve driven a few cars, A LOT of Hondas, but the FiST is in a class of its own and that’s why I love it.

Last edited:

DoomsdayMelody

Just my .2 cents, I would roll over in this car *knocks on wood* and run out and buy another one without a doubt. I’ve driven a few cars, A LOT of Hondas, but the FiST is in a class of its own and that’s why I love it.
I dunno, I love my FiST but if I had to replace it I’d be looking at a lightly used Veloster N. Haven’t driven one, so I personally can’t say, but everything I’ve read about them suggests that it’s every bit as good to drive as a FiST but also just has a higher ceiling because more power and a locking diff. Both of which are things you can address on the FiST, don’t get me wrong, but we’re talking close to a 100 hp difference from the factory with the same amount of smiles per gallon... hard not to be curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno, I love my FiST but if I had to replace it I’d be looking at a lightly used Veloster N. Haven’t driven one, so I personally can’t say, but everything I’ve read about them suggests that it’s every bit as good to drive as a FiST but also just has a higher ceiling because more power and a locking diff. Both of which are things you can address on the FiST, don’t get me wrong, but we’re talking close to a 100 hp difference from the factory with the same amount of smiles per gallon... hard not to be curious.

A Veloster N is high on my list of "what if" cars too, but they're still impossible to find used (maybe a good sign if nobody's dumping them in the first year).

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Two things that stop me dead on even looking at a Veloster N , 1: Its not FiST sized its FoST sized. Oh and it has three doors? WTF.
2: Its a Hyundai and while they have gotten better they are still somewhat of piles in the longevity department. I had a friend who owned a 2013 Elantra from 1300 miles on to 160k I watched him toss all kinds of money at that car to keep it going. In the end he wound up buying a Toyota next after professing love for Hyundai.

In the end Hyundai has gotten better and are making great strides but they are not their yet in my eyes and for that its a big fat no.

Oh and sure people can complain about the cheapness of the FiST on interior and paint and whatnot. Though they were much cheaper new than a Veloster and mechanically are pretty damn sound.
Nope next car if new will most likely be Japanese for me. (Nissan I see that new Z you are bringing and it looks good fingers crossed!)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A Veloster N is high on my list of "what if" cars too, but they're still impossible to find used (maybe a good sign if nobody's dumping them in the first year).
There were/are not all that many made in the first place to even have much of a second hand market, ever. [:(]

There were/are not all that many made in the first place to even have much of a second hand market, ever. [:(]
Not like there were many Fiesta ST's made in North America either. They have been in production longer, so I suspect we'll start seeing used examples in another year.

The real "in the end" on this debate is that there's just nothing else like it for any price in the US. Any other choice is going to be different or a compromise, or both.

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
It's just a car. If money weren't an issue I'd buy a challenger scat pack. Nice big trunk for my tools and spacious interior for the family, with plenty of power on tap for these big open roads here in Texas.

The fist was 1/3, maybe even a 1/4 of the price of the used challengers I'm seeing.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It's just a car. If money weren't an issue I'd buy a challenger scat pack. Nice big trunk for my tools and spacious interior for the family, with plenty of power on tap for these big open roads here in Texas.

The fist was 1/3, maybe even a 1/4 of the price of the used challengers I'm seeing.

In the words of Devo “For you not for me” Money is also not much of an issue and I still own the FiST!

I had a '19 Golf R for a year. I came back to the Fiesta. More expensive =/= more fun.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

If coin were not an issue, I would be piloting a GT350R right now, but I would still have the FiST as well (to work rallies, winter, grocery getting, etc.). [wink] [driving]

If coin were not an issue, I would be piloting a GT350R right now, but I would still have the FiST as well (to work rallies, winter, grocery getting, etc.). [wink] [driving]
And it's not just the purchase price. How much would that GT350R cost to insure? What about consumables? Gas? Total cost of ownership isn't something enough people consider... fun per dollar in a FiST is unbeatable. A Miata is close (and I own one of those too). Mind that GT350R really needs a track to sing too... how enjoyable is it going to be on your commute? This is why the FiST is so special.

How long ago did you dump the VDub?
A couple months ago when I bought my '16 FiST almost on an impulse (I had been looking to replace the R for a while). Got in it and was immediately reminded of everything I'd been missing. Didn't make much sense to own both the FiST and the R, so I traded the R out for an ND Miata.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^YES, tires alone for that pony, (especially if it IS tracked like it's born to be!) would bankrupt all but the pig filthy rich, insurance for the year (not even including 'track insurance'!) would be a big portion of the FiST's total cost/value. [histerical]

^^^YES, tires alone for that pony, (especially if it IS tracked like it's born to be!) would bankrupt all but the pig filthy rich, insurance for the year (not even including 'track insurance'!) would be a big portion of the FiST's total cost/value. [histerical]
Well I wouldn't go that far. :p

If you're serious about track time with a high end sports car, though, you need to budget several thousand a year for consumables. A full set of tires for the GT350 R runs about $1200-1300. Some people have toasted the rears in one session. Others report front brakes are done after 2-3 track days. You will pretty much always go through a full tank of fuel. Of course there are costs for tracking a FiST as well, but they're not going to be as high. And the FiST is still fun on the street.

My take - having driven the Veloster N, Golf Rs, Focus RS, WRX STI, Honda Type R I have one thing to say about the fiesta - THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT.

Veloster N - Heavy, number steering, slower feeling
Golf R - Really just a boring car. Probably the worst pick. Anyone who recommends this hasn't driven one.
Focus RS - Well I own this one too. It's close to the fiesta, but doesn't feel nearly as nimble.
WRX STI - Good car. But not really exciting.
Honda Type R - Good luck enjoying the car at street speeds. Great car.

There's nothing similar to the Fiesta! Everyone I talk to who is like "Oh wHy DiDnT yOu BuY a CoOl HoNDa??!" has never bothered to go drive a fiesta.
And the Fiesta ST modded slightly is unbeatable in fun. And you can still haul your dog. The closest car I can say is honestly the Miata. And everyone loves Miatas. But our's has four doors and FWD. That's the trade off.

Also regarding Rollover - it's possible if you start messing with suspension geometry. But you lower the car a few inches - keep the tire compound not on R compound - it would be very hard to roll the car. (edit: Also want to say factory setup is very hard to roll as well). I have the had the car on two wheels during AutoX a few times. Not a big deal. You know when it's happening and you know what way not to turn the wheel. But for the most part you have to setup the turn completely incorrectly to yield two wheels. If you prep the weight before entry CORRECTLY the rear should just almost slide along singing you the sound of victory.

I know this is an old thread but GOD I HATE ALL THESE PEOPLE with opinions on cars they haven't driven! Drive the damn car and then talk to me about it!

Last edited:
Figured one more post would be relevant here, since I'm no longer a FiST owner. I will qualify this by saying the only reason I did this is because I own the only car that does low speed fun better: a Miata. Obviously without any of the practicality of the Fiesta, though. As a one car solution, there's still nothing else I can think of that balances fun and practicality as well (and I've owned a Golf R). Everything else I've experienced compromises in some way. More comfort, less fun. More fun, less practicality. More power, low-speed dynamics are boring (looking at you Golf R).

If I have room for a third car some day, there's a strong chance I could be back for a third time. :)

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I like the Veloster N. The '21 is even a little nicer with leather N seats ithe aftermarket is there BUT you cant tune em like with the fords. Gotta either get a 2nd ECU or say F it and tune your one and dont go back to dealer. Or those piggy back things which I cant seem to look at seriously. In Korea they get a fatter line of colors and they are getting that light grey....mmmmm. If bitcoin runs again maybe Ill have a Fist and a veloster.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My take - having driven the Veloster N, Golf Rs, Focus RS, WRX STI, Honda Type R I have one thing to say about the fiesta - THERE'S NOTHING LIKE IT.
Well... Yes, but also no. I'll explain below.

Veloster N - Heavy, number steering, slower feeling
Golf R - Really just a boring car. Probably the worst pick. Anyone who recommends this hasn't driven one.
Focus RS - Well I own this one too. It's close to the fiesta, but doesn't feel nearly as nimble.
WRX STI - Good car. But not really exciting.
Honda Type R - Good luck enjoying the car at street speeds. Great car.
Veloster N - Disagree. You must not have driven one in N mode or any mode outside of normal or eco mode. Absolutely none of this statement is true. I own one, and have three Fiesta STs of varying degrees of modification in my household.
Golf R - Agreed. Buy an Audi instead.
Focus RS - Agreed. Great car, but didn't really live up to the hype.
WRX STI - Disagree. Ancient technology at this point. Engine has been around for ~30 years now? Boat like, handles terribly. Not fun to drive at all.
Honda Type R - Agreed. Great car, but not worth the hype tax. The Veloster N does the same job and is a better daily driver for less money.

There's nothing similar to the Fiesta! Everyone I talk to who is like "Oh wHy DiDnT yOu BuY a CoOl HoNDa??!" has never bothered to go drive a fiesta.
And the Fiesta ST modded slightly is unbeatable in fun. And you can still haul your dog. The closest car I can say is honestly the Miata. And everyone loves Miatas. But our's has four doors and FWD. That's the trade off.
There is, its called the Veloster N. Its a more grown up version of everything the Fiesta ST tried to be. Its faster, it handles the same, it comes with an LSD, it has great shifter feel, and great engagement. The ability to change your ride on the fly in any way you want to is also awesome. You drive an N on a mountain / canyon road or on the track and you forget that cars like the Miata exist, it is just so good. I do miss driving the Fiesta from time to time but thats mainly because the Veloster doesn't have Recaros (I have a 2020 so I don't have the nice new seats). More horsepower than a Focus ST, but lighter and just smaller. It doesn't fall flat on its face closer to redline like the Fiesta ST and it doesn't feel as "econobox" on the inside. Sure you don't get that donkey kick in the chest of immediate torque but thats a trade off for a much more useable powerband (and a larger turbo). Sure you can't tune it with an AP like the other options but I don't think it needs to be tuned. I've put on some light mods and I love it the way it is. Its fun in all the right areas and ways. Is it a direct replacement for the Fiesta ST? No, that would be the i20N but we're not getting that. The Veloster is the next level up, in terms of vehicle, I still love and respect the Fiesta but this was an improvement in driving experience in every way.