Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta st coil pack upgrades

OP
Thread Starter #22
Wow, HP Tuners, a throwback to my old LS1 days, and way before that, the ancient and crude, LS1 Edit. [wink] [thumb]
Man you are OG haha ls1 edit is old school πŸ€™ hptuners is great! I use it to tune my f150 and my ecoboost swapped svt focus and a few local focus st’s and ive done alot of gm products with it πŸ˜… it gets a bad rap from some ecoboost tuners because it doesnt have custom features like cobb and is missing some minor tables but all of that is easily taken care of if you figure out where to poke in TunerPro and use hptuners user defined parameters to β€œrecreate” cobbs custom features πŸ˜…πŸ€«

OP
Thread Starter #23
So a small update to this thread..

I have ran the car for roughly 350 miles now with no issues! Tomarrow i will begin to loosen the spark plug gap up untill spark blowout is present to see how loose we can go. Also a side note witch is pretty interesting the car picked up roughly 3mpg in fuel consumption with no changes to lambda or cruising spark advance. With the old coil packs the car was running roughly 22mpg now mileage is up to 26mpg. Also to note the car is running phenomenally it drives better then it ever has. So fuel economy is on par with my old e50 tune but now i have 25% more ethanol in the tank at e75. Im assuming this is due to the old coils not being able to light off and effectively burn all of the ethanol at light loads as well as high loads. So as i start to increase plug gap im also going to be chasing fuel economy with some more ignition advance as well as optimizing the cam timing for fuel economy. I hope to see 29-30 mpg on e75 as i believe thats within the realm of possibility due to my lacking of ignition advance cruising and my lack of ever really tuning this thing to optimize fuel economy. Currently my timing is roughly about 3 degrees retarded then a 93 octain cobb ots map would be at light loads but im on very knock resistant fuel so ill play with this on the street then get on a load bearing dyno and try to optimize the timing in individual cells to really try to push the fuel economy. There may be no real gain over where the car is currently for economy but i have to test the waters πŸ˜…

OP
Thread Starter #25
Update:
Swapped the brisk plugs back in (same ones i had issues with on the dyno) gapped at 0.024 back in still at 30psi of boost no spark quench β€œblowout” present. I didnt figure 0.004 would make a difference now but was worth testing. Anyway swapping in a new set of ngks (ungapped) they come out of the box between 0.040-0.044 so i will gap all the plugs down to the tightest. If all 4 are at 0.044 ill stick with that if one is 0.040 and 3 are 0.044 ill gap all down to 0.040. Blow out should definitely be present with such a loose gap maybe but i need a starting point then i will gap down in 0.005 increments to 0.030 if blow out is still present at 0.030 i will change the incriminate to 0.002 untill it is no longer present. Im using 30psi of map as the testing pressure because its just over what the stock map/tip sensors will read so my idea is 90% of the community will never be tuned for more then 29.5psi so if i know where it needs to be at 30psi that will work for atleast 90% of the community. Once spark blowout is no longer present at my target boost pressure of 30psi i will focus on fuel economy. Also to note plug gap will be able to be opened up a bit on less a aggressive boost pressure, smaller turbos and a less resistant fuel witch would benifit fuel economy as well. Now just to put this out there for anyone interested enuff to read this far πŸ˜… spark quench (blowout) will occur with different turbos and different fuels at different times. Ill explain this the best i can. So spark quench occurs when theres to much resistance between the tip of the plug and the strap. So fuel and air both have resistance as you increase resistance you increase the voltage needed for the spark to jump the gap. Say you have two turbos a gtx2860 and a hybrid turbo both capable of 25psi of boost to redline. The gtx is packing in more dense air at 25 psi compared to the hybrid at 25 psi thats why one may make 320whp and the other make 280whp at the same boost pressure. So as air density increases the resistance between the tip of the plug and strap also increases. The same with fuel the more fuel you put in the more resistance thats why I had issues with e75 but the car was fine on e50 at more boost. I increased the amount of fuel needed. So theres no really great way For this testing without testing multiple different cars with different setups. So im planning to have some really nice brackets made within the next month or so and i have some local cars (one s280 single port e50, and one stock turbo FBO car) that im planning to throw these coils on and see what changes it makes with different setups. I will also be getting a set to Jason @dizzytuning to test once hold downs are made. I want all the data and i want to push the limits! I appreciate everyone so far who has been involved with this post I dont usually let out publicly some of the stuff i play with but I appreciate the support!

OP
Thread Starter #26
Small update:
I havent had time due to other things comming up to work with the plug gap and do more testing but i will say things are extremely promising and i did take the car to Mexico with some srt4s saturday for the first time in a long time this past weekend πŸ˜‚ so saturday i am dropping off the entire coil mount assembly off at a local friends that has a machine/fab shop. He wants a shot at making some really nice hold downs after seeing how testing is going so im giving him the opportunity πŸ€™ this helps out because ill have some beta brackets quicker and can get these on a few different cars for testing!

OP
Thread Starter #28
You're in Burlington, N.C. correct??

(There are at least 25 Burlingtons in different states here in the USA!)
Burlington, West Virgina is where my shop is currently but ill be buying a shop and house in Carlisle PA hopefully sooner then later and moving there as long as things pan out the way im hoping they go πŸ˜… alteast that is my plan at the moment.

Lays

I've had a few spark blow-out issues too, usually at the dragstrip in top of 3rd / 4th gear when she's making steam. Swapping new plugs in with fresh gap at ~0.026 always fixes me up.
Car usually sees ~32-34 PSI at the strip, sometimes 36 if its real cold outside. Because of this issue I'm always forced to bring like 1-2 extra sets with me and tools to swap it out lol

Would be nice to get a little more lifespan out of plugs, between street driving and dragstrip use, I don't get much life out of em lol

Last edited:
OP
Thread Starter #36
I've had a few spark blow-out issues too, usually at the dragstrip in top of 3rd / 4th gear when she's making steam. Swapping new plugs in with fresh gap at ~0.026 always fixes me up.
Car usually sees ~32-34 PSI at the strip, sometimes 36 if its real cold outside. Because of this issue I'm always forced to bring like 1-2 extra sets with me and tools to swap it out lol

Would be nice to get a little more lifespan out of plugs, between street driving and dragstrip use, I don't get much life out of em lol
It sounds like your about at the limit of the coil packs as well πŸ˜… stay tuned πŸ€™ if your interested in getting a set of these coils for testing shoot me a message. The new coil hold downs hopefully will be done the beginning of next week and then its on to more testing! 😩 the waiting is killing me! πŸ˜… Since my fiesta is somewhat down atm because the entire coil pack setup is off the car ive been playing with my ecoboost swapped svt focus. Always something to do! D2E10285-D6A5-413C-A17D-4DEE41F3D7AA.jpeg

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It sounds like your about at the limit of the coil packs as well πŸ˜… stay tuned πŸ€™ if your interested in getting a set of these coils for testing shoot me a message. The new coil hold downs hopefully will be done the beginning of next week and then its on to more testing! 😩 the waiting is killing me! πŸ˜… Since my fiesta is somewhat down atm because the entire coil pack setup is off the car ive been playing with my ecoboost swapped svt focus. Always something to do! View attachment 49906
That. Is. Awesome! EB 2.0? I love the SVT. When the time is right I'd love to find a non-salt-belt example, clean it up, and just stare at it.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It sounds like your about at the limit of the coil packs as well πŸ˜… stay tuned πŸ€™ if your interested in getting a set of these coils for testing shoot me a message. The new coil hold downs hopefully will be done the beginning of next week and then its on to more testing! 😩 the waiting is killing me! πŸ˜… Since my fiesta is somewhat down atm because the entire coil pack setup is off the car ive been playing with my ecoboost swapped svt focus. Always something to do! View attachment 49906
Ecoboost swapped SVTF? I want to hear more about this!

OP
Thread Starter #40
Ya its a 2l ecoboost swap! 78k on the body Its fairly straight forward to do the swap this one was the first svt with a eb swap. Theres i believe 2 svts swapped now not counting jeff bosse’s sedan but ive had it for a few years now and daily drive it πŸ˜… 2l eb stock turbo fbo with a balance shaft and vaccum pump delete also on e30 and self tuned via hptuners. Car has a duratec 5 speed trans a control pack ecu from james mcbrine in the uk that works perfectly! And the factory ecu is piggy backed with the control pack ecu so the factory cluster and everything works. The 2.3 will bolt in and you can use a rs trans and rear subframe to make one awd. Im actually considering getting a rs trans and rear subframe to make mine awd just need to find a wrecked rs for a good price. Heres a little better engine bay picture. This car looks like it came factory with the ecoboost in it so at shows like ford nationals it doesnt get much attention because it looks stock but if you know you know πŸ˜… this year at fr2022 i had to put a ecoboost engine cover sitting up so people would actually realize it has a engine swap πŸ˜‚

Attachments