Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

LILIKE16ST

my first road trip was... my break in road trip. I think it was like... 400 miles (nyc to somewhere in NH)

ran into random traffic here and there, varied my speeds, 40-75mph, along with gear rowing to keep the rpms moving....

37.8 computer mpg, 37.5 calculated. Since then I just trust the computer, and reset at fill-ups.

more recently with city driving I am around 27 mph, which includes the later of the break in period which includes occasional higher rpm 4th gear pull through smooth, gradual throttle input.

I drive with a relatively light foot and usually shift around 2700 rpm, I would estimate my throttle input to be around 20-25% max, outside of the 4th gear "smooth and gradual" pull, that I would eventually roll to 100% throttle and hold for 3-5 seconds. Details included to give you an idea of how I get my MPG at this time.
37+ mpg during break in period as an average? That's really incredible and almost...well should I day it IS very hard to believe. Not calling you a liar just saying it is hard to believe.

37+ mpg during break in period as an average? That's really incredible and almost...well should I day it IS very hard to believe. Not calling you a liar just saying it is hard to believe.
You don't want to know or believe what I achieved with my 2012 Golf R when I had it then. lol

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have done 2 road trips since I bought mine, have about 2200 miles now. one was 800 miles basically all interstate and returned a 35.5 at an indicated 65-74 mph, averaged 70 on that trip. The other was a 500 mile round trip and I got 35.9 mpg again at an indicated 65-74. Around town I get 28-30 mpg if I behave myself. I run 93 octane non ethanol most of the time. I suspect after complete break in to do a little better but all in all I get what was advertised. I feel sure if I ran a steady 65 I would see close to 40 mpg. All of these numbers were indicated by the car, I'll leave the calculated data out so that we all are looking at the same data. I have yet to check the speedometer error on the car but I suspect it will be 2-3 mph over as most are.

...... I too don't see how people are getting well into the 30s. If it was 100% highway at 70 mph I'd have no trouble believing that in sure I could pull 35+ on such a trip
I'm reliably getting 36-37mpgs with 100% highway driving on 93 octane and keeping it at around 65 mph -- and my interstate travel includes a lot of hills and a mountain pass. However, the mpgs drop pretty quick with city driving. Recently, I did a tank of 50/50 city/highway, with some spirited pulls and got 31 mpg on that tank.

The same type of commute same driving style with my 03 svt focus I had before this car I was getting 24-26 mpg....only mods were k&n intake and offroad pipe and widened gapped motor craft copper cores and Taylor 8.2 mm wires.
I got really good mileage in my 03 SVT Focus, easily over 32mpg on the highway and around 25-27 with pure city driving, not babying it. I find it interesting who everyone and all the cars get such different real world results.

Most of you guys probably don't hypermile, or haven't attempted. Lol... Its almost impossible for me to get under 26mpg on this car. I also drive very slow and can control my right foot lol... Some of the low numbers you guys post is unbelievable for me... I got 36mpg on a 12 golf r highway before.... And 27 or 28 city with the same 12 golf r.. 36mpg on a 08 STI highway..... But local that sti is super hard... I think best I got was 22 or 23 mpg.. Maybe. Didn't really try.

Just... Be patient. Its hard in the city.. Especially NYC... But it's not impossible and not unbelievable... So... Those that gets under 25 mpg... When do you shift? How do you apply the throttle? Maybe I can do a write up on 26mpg+ driving technique? But that sorta defeats the purpose of this car for many of you right?

I'm just surprised and confused that people can't get over 26mpg on this car.

Stock car. I was at 28 average with the first several tanks, then it jumped to 33, then down to 29 at around 6000mi on the car (BOOST!). Now with lighter wheels/tires and even with weekly 25mi trips with an aero track bike uptop, I'm around 31 with an average speed of 30mph, and slowly going up. I used to shift around 1750rpm, from 2000mi to about 5000ish miles on the car. Now I shift around 2500, with a light but quick throttle which keeps boost spool quick. To give y'all a further idea of my driving style, I try to use as little braking as possible, momentum is this car's weapon. I'm also usually first off the lights until around 30-35, 50 is where I usually set the cruise control for a 45mph speed limit road, which is usual traffic pace on my daily commute. On-ramps are quick, so I'm up to highway speed quickly which means less toll and less time under hard throttle. I also don't use a/c unless I'm in traffic during 10am-6pm which is not often. 93 octane, of course.

I'm not surprised that some people are around mid-20s, it's rated for 26 city. If you're getting under that 26mpg city in a stock car on the highway then there's cause for concern. The 1.6 and the gearing is very responsive, almost bike-like. Drive it hard, it'll hang and zig-zag through traffic, and your mpg will suffer. Cruise and stay out of boost with quick throttle, and it's a fuel-sipper. Very versatile.

The MPG on my previous Focus SE was always lower than it was rated. Maybe commuting in Seattle really is that bad.

Maybe there's a way for my to drive downhill all the time?

LILIKE16ST

I mean don't get me wrong I'm getting decent milage I've averaged 29.5 more than once on a tank real world calculating not by the car. My milage average was reset when I uploaded my 93 octane LMS tune at 2800 miles I'm now at 5600 miles and my average says 28.3 mpg on my gauges which seems fairly accurage based on what I figure myself. The lowest I ever recorded on a full tank was just under 26 mpg and that was with several WOT jaunts and constantly using ac....as well as letting my idle for 20-30min a day with ac running on my lunch break at work. All things considered that's not bad. I believe I could prob pull 30 or so if I babied it the entire tank which I've yet to do. I always get into boost a couple times IRS hard not to lol. My 03 svt could get over 35 on a straight highway run at 70 but my average for a tank same driving conditions and style same commute never seemed to get much over 26 so this car is getting noticeably better which is great considering its noticeably quicker too lol. I'll take it. I can see getting over 35 easily on a straight highway run its just hard for me to believe 37+ on an average ecspscially during break in period. I am as light on the throttle as possible usually while shifting around 2000-2200 maybe I should run her up to 2500? I assumed going higher would hurt milage. I usually shift around the time the upshift light comes on which I assumed was for best milage.

AzNightmare

I don't know how you guys are doing it...

My fuel light came on and I topped it up to full.
42.4L (11.2 gal)
376km (233.6 mi)

97% city driving
93 octane
Stratified "stage 2" tune
2000-3000 shifts.

city vs highway mpg will be a huge diff. I usually only get about 10 mins of highway driving per tank.
But occasionally when I need to go out of the city for maybe a 45 min highway drive, I can already squeeze in an extra 45 gal/ tank.

We are in an unprecedented era of cheap gasoline despite all the naysayers of peak oil a decade ago. I say burn it while you can! the difference between 22mpg and 28mpg is minimal. 22mpg is an operating cost of 11.8 cents per mile and 28mpg is 9.3 cents per mile. (assuming $2.60 / gal for premium)

LILIKE16ST

Remove the tune and go back to stock. It is worth the mpg's.
My mpg is at least as good of not better than it was before the tune. On a full tank before he tune best I got was about 28.5 and best after was 29.5 twice now I will admit I was only at 2800 miles when the tune went on and some of the gain since could be attributed to the engine getting worn in some which is normal up to about 5k or so but still....I'm sure my car is getting at least the same and more then likely better mpg than it did stock. Considering of gains a lot of power and makes the car noticeably faster I think that's pretty good...and drivability is stock like. With a light foot the whole time and a little more highway driving thrown in this car could easily knock down over 30 mpg with ease.

LILIKE16ST

I am now at just under 6500 miles and my overall mpg according to the car has slowly crept up to 29.0 mpg now overall. My most recent tank I was able to pull 30.55 mpg average...same type of driving as always (50/50 highway/non highway give or take) and last tank was 29.75 so its slowly crept up and gotten better now I'm averaging solidly 30 mpg give or take up from 27 or so in the beginning before the car was broken in and before the tune. I beleive its clear my LMS 93 tune is helping out mpgs. I'm very satisfied with the car and the mpg it seems to keep getting better.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I just completed a 4000 mile trip over hills, flat lands, A/C on and off. I started the trip with 93 octane non-ethanol and on the trip used 91-87 octane (not by choice). My FiFi did not like the 87, stumbled on acceleration. Driving was two lane country sometimes (500 miles) and speeds over 80 (700 miles) in the States (ND, WY, and MT) that allowed it. FiFi has the Mountune MP-215 installed. Overall mileage was 34.4 mpg.

I did use the hell out of her boost on the two lane driving passing traffic rather quickly. Our ST's are outrageous in third gear. I am sure I shocked many who are still wondering what blew by them as I have deleted the Fiesta badge and the ST is yellow with the yellow Mountune under it. The Fiesta was replaced with a "Powered by Ford Performance" badge from the GT 350. So all they know is a small white Ford created a vacuum as it went by them. I was very pleased with the mileage....any engine the does over 2 HP per cubic inch and gets this mileage is an engineering marvel in my mind. 4000 miles in 8 days and I love this car more every mile! Fast, efficient, comfortable......the standard seats are great and very adjustable, added dead pedal was great. I hated the stock shift knob so I replaced it with the Mountune yellow ball, perfect size and smooth as a bowling ball made the rowing even more enjoyable. Have I said I love this car? Notice the bug collection?

ScreenHunter_137 Aug. 16 20.58.jpg