Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST turned off while driving and wouldn't turn on

So my brother was driving to work on Friday and his ST shut off after the cluster mentioned something about having to conserve power. He was able to pull some codes from the ecu with the accessport. The car wouldn't start, only thing that worked were the windows and the locks. Gauges were stuck in place as well.

P060D
P2127
P2610
U0422

Ford dealership flashed the ecu and was able to start it and then they drove it, and it shut off again while driving.

Anyone else ever had this happen to them, only mods on his car was the accessport with a stage 1 OTS tune.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd rule out the AP since the dealer flashed the oem tune and it still shut off.

OP
Thread Starter #5
yeah I definitely don't think it's the AP, it looks like it might be the PCM, he told me that the dealer was still looking at it today, and hadn't gotten a response, but definitely something electrical.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've heard of one other incident where they replaced the ecu so there's at least a chance they'll replace his.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Would the dealer not see that it's been flashed by the AccessPort? That could technically void the warranty, but I haven't actually heard a story about a dealer detecting a previous tune install.

grnmachine02

Would the dealer not see that it's been flashed by the AccessPort? That could technically void the warranty, but I haven't actually heard a story about a dealer detecting a previous tune install.
I was going to say the same thing. From what I understand, they can see that it has been flashed via a flash counter. That can't tell what was done, but if the counter says it's been flashed, and Ford has no record of flashing it, then there may be an issue.

This is 2nd hand info, so take it with a grain of salt.

OP
Thread Starter #9
they would have to prove that the tune caused the problem, and I really doubt the AP caused it, the tune was installed but the AP was not connected. From what I understand they can see how many times the ECU has been reset.

Besides, they already flashed it to stock and the problem happened again to them, so not worried about the tune being blamed.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
they flashed to stock so they're not even looking for it. should be fine.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I've heard of one other incident where they replaced the ecu so there's at least a chance they'll replace his.
I can't remember the username, but he lives (or lived) in China and a similar issue. He was using a Max'd tune on a Euro Spec car.

It was [MENTION=505]XuperXero[/MENTION]

Thread:

Question for tuners: Can reflash/tune brick an ECU?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...5&share_tid=7605&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Some Guy On The Internet

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Maybe it could also be a weak battery in key fob?

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Thread Starter #13
Quick update:

The dealer thinks that there's a short in the wiring somewhere since the HUD/Gauges fuse was blown when it was brought in and then blew again when they test drove it after fixing it. Said that it would all be under warranty, but they are still going wire by wire checking for a short.

I told my brother that it could also be a ground issue. Seems weird, the car as far as he knows didn't have an aftermarket alarm or lojack or anything messing with the wiring on it.

Hope he can get it fixed.

XuperXero

I can't remember the username, but he lives (or lived) in China and a similar issue. He was using a Max'd tune on a Euro Spec car.

It was [MENTION=505]XuperXero[/MENTION]

Thread:

Question for tuners: Can reflash/tune brick an ECU?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...5&share_tid=7605&share_fid=74193&share_type=t

Some Guy On The Internet
Thanks for the mention. After reading this thread, it doesn't seem like it's flash related.

My situation was "data was missing from ECU" according to Ford engineers. It was an unflashable data area hence the ECU replacement. Not sure how Max'd tune did it but they did it.

Spaceman_Spiff

Was there any resolution to this? New ECM? I just had this happen to me yesterday, except my situation was preceded by an electrical smoke smell (I thought someone was welding somewhere in the area), then the gauge cluster went out and the car went into limp mode. Turned it off and the gauges do not light and it wouldn't start. Codes were P2610 and U0422. It's in the dealer's hands now...

Was there any resolution to this? New ECM? I just had this happen to me yesterday, except my situation was preceded by an electrical smoke smell (I thought someone was welding somewhere in the area), then the gauge cluster went out and the car went into limp mode. Turned it off and the gauges do not light and it wouldn't start. Codes were P2610 and U0422. It's in the dealer's hands now...
Did you perhaps have a down pipe installed, minus heat shields?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Spaceman_Spiff

Update for my part of this thread -

Short story: My car did this 3 times - first time they replaced the blown fuse; second time they replaced the instrument gauge cluster and it ran fine for 2+ months; now it's currently in the shop AGAIN and they found where the wire harness for the gauges has had the insulation rubbed off on a bracket of some sort under the dash which was causing a short.