Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Finally posting an introduction . . .

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Hey everyone,
I've been using/posting on this forum for a while now so I figured it's about time I do an introduction lol.
I drive a 2017 Fiesta ST that I got used at 42k. Ever since I first heard about the Fiesta ST, I had always wanted one, even before watching reviews or knowing much about the car's specs. I liked that it was affordable, fast (ist), handled well, and was a hatchback.
When I bought it I knew very little about cars, and I didn't know how to drive stick. I learned by driving on door dash deliveries, which forced me to figure out how to navigate lots of different situations. Thankfully, I only had a few embarrassing moments stalling at stoplights. I used it as my primary vehicle and door dash vehicle up until June 2021 when I got a manual '01 ZX3 Focus. Now the Fiesta is my nice car and the Focus is my work car/beater.
I've hit a deer with the car, which ended up being a blessing in disguise. The previous owner had cut away the bottom of the bumper cover, where it goes under the intercooler, I think due to damage from a minor impact. So instead of having to pay for the $500 bumper cover plus shipping and painting, I only ended up paying my $250 insurance deductible.
While I've owned the car, it's needed a purge valve and front shocks replaced (currently Bilstein B4s). I've also upgraded the RMM to a Cobb one and installed FSWerks exhaust. I've gone through at least 6 Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and 4 tires. I am pretty religious about oil changes and I currently use full synthetic amsoil.
Since buying the focus means the Fiesta doesn't have to be as practical, most of my mods are fairly recent. I have a custom car grills grill protecting the intercooler, an ADF customs skid plate, and rally armor mud flaps. On the tuning side, I have an Accessport, which is definitely one of the best mods for the FiSTs. I'm currently running a Dizzy 93 octane tune, but thanks to all the stuff I've been reading on this forum, I also want to get a E30 tune.
The other "mod" I bought recently was snow tires on 15in steelies because they're the closest thing to all terrains we can fit. I like to drive on gravel and explore random small gravel roads in the NC mountains where I want a taller sidewall as well as more aggressive tread. In the rare NC snow event which happened a few week ago they performed very well.
I don't really know how far I want to go with performance mods. For me a 93 or E30 flash tune has plenty of power and I don't have the skill for a turbo swap, so I'm going to stick with flash tunes for now. I'm going for a wanna be rally car build, so my next mod money will probably go into finding ways to protect everything behind the skid plate.
This forum is an amazing resource for everything to do with FiSTs and I've found 99% of y'all to be super helpful and willing to answer my dumb questions [twothumb]

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Hi, I was just curious how the car does on bumpy gravel roads? I hardly ever drive on them, and when I do I drive really slow and carefully, but you mentioned you drive on them quite a bit so I thought I would ask you what your experience has been on them, thanks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
With at least a /60 profile tire and a 15" wheel, these cars do great on rough gravel/dirt roads even on the factory suspension (or especially on the factory suspension, given the factory spring ride height, as I would NOT want to go down the roads I do when working ARA rallies on some of the 'slammed' setups many on here are running, regardless of underbody protection [nono]).

Of course, one risks blowing out the front factory strut dampers on too fast, or a big enough 'hit', but common sense dictates that one keep their eyes OPEN for those, and slow down for them, or totally avoid them if possible. [wink]

OP
FiestaSTdude

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thread Starter #7
Hi, I was just curious how the car does on bumpy gravel roads? I hardly ever drive on them, and when I do I drive really slow and carefully, but you mentioned you drive on them quite a bit so I thought I would ask you what your experience has been on them, thanks.
I agree with M-Sport fan, especially on tires. I've driven with stock and 15in rims and snow tires and the latter is much better.
The gravel roads I drive are very bumpy (at least for a street car. I get looks from the people in SUVs and pick-up trucks lol. I think the FiST does really well as long as you pay reasonable attention to avoiding the worst bumps. With the snow tires, I've also aired down to 35 psi on the really rough stuff.
When I'm on a smoother stretch of gravel where I can go faster, the car feels very well balanced as far as oversteer.