Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Finally have my fiesta replacement……

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
As much as I loved the fiesta platform after over 6 years of them it was time to move on. I picked up a WRX last June as the numbers were good on trade in of the fist. I knew the wrx would only be short term till I could get hands on one of these.I really believe you have to get these special types of cars when you can as I missed out on many great cars in the past. I know there has been talk with multiple members here on the new twin cars so figured I post and try and help anyone maybe in the market for one

086D9982-9B85-44FB-B85C-DE89C0055DA8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I have 3500 miles on it already. I love the thing but have few minor complaints. The fake noise is awful but if unplug it the car is too quiet. Exhaust is simple fix for that. Mine also seems to have developed the cricket noise at idle that many complained about with the first gens. Also valvetrain seems to be little loud but by no means horrible. I’m gonna have dealer listen to one of these day. I originally wanted to buy a 17 before I bought my 2nd fiesta but the thing was so damn slow I couldn’t buy it. The current one has good amount of power and is a blast to rip around. I had no trouble going from turbo cars to this. It actually keeps up with traffic and has no issues passing on hwy etc. I know many have said they liked the previous gen but the people that have now seen mine in person like the current one much more. I honestly can’t say enough good things about this new generation and for anyone that doubts much improvement over the last gen truly needs to drive one.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I've owned my 2013 FRS for 2 years no. It's my autocross toy. I am going to hunt one of the GR86 down and add it to my stable for daily driver duties and probably sell the Fiesta.

The cricket noise has to do with the noisy fuel pump with most gasoline available (IIRC its a lubrication issue). They actually redesigned the fuel pump after 2013 to "fix" this, but it never really was a fix and still exists on all twins. Its a non issue and doesn't affect drivability and you get used to it. Some have fixed it buy running 0% ethanol gas and some have added fuel additives to their tank fill ups occasionally to fix, but it always comes back over time. I just ignore it.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
How is the handling? Does it have the quick turn in and go kart feeling like the FiST does?

It's definitely nice-looking.
Has all that x2 of the fiesta imo. Has amazing turn in, proper pedal placement and awesome shifter location. It’s something you should drive to appreciate much like the fiesta st.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I've owned my 2013 FRS for 2 years no. It's my autocross toy. I am going to hunt one of the GR86 down and add it to my stable for daily driver duties and probably sell the Fiesta.

The cricket noise has to do with the noisy fuel pump with most gasoline available (IIRC its a lubrication issue). They actually redesigned the fuel pump after 2013 to "fix" this, but it never really was a fix and still exists on all twins. Its a non issue and doesn't affect drivability and you get used to it. Some have fixed it buy running 0% ethanol gas and some have added fuel additives to their tank fill ups occasionally to fix, but it always comes back over time. I just ignore it.
Yeah I remembered that issue from the first ones and did some research on it. I’ll try some ethanol free stuff and see what it does. You will love the improvements over the first generation. They really did make some nice improvements beyond just the much needed power. I can’t get enough of it and can’t wait to get the snows off of it and get some autocross and track time with it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Has all that x2 of the fiesta imo. Has amazing turn in, proper pedal placement and awesome shifter location. It’s something you should drive to appreciate much like the fiesta st.
How could it not have 2x all of that with; RWD, a super low cg, almost perfect weight distribution, and a wider track (it is at least slightly wider than our rides, correct?)?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Agree with this 10000 percent. I've seen some people say they felt the Twins handle about the same as the Fiesta. They haven't pushed a Twin hard on back roads, or on an autocross. The car just destroys slaloms and transition elements. They are also incredibly easy to drive at the limit IMO. The handling capabilities (speed, g's etc) are miles better than a fiesta

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
How could it not have 2x all of that with; RWD, a super low cg, almost perfect weight distribution, and a wider track (it is at least slightly wider than our rides, correct?)?
Lol I was being nice. It feels wider but not sure on exact specs. They are two different kinds of cars that each have advantages.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #11
Agree with this 10000 percent. I've seen some people say they felt the Twins handle about the same as the Fiesta. They haven't pushed a Twin hard on back roads, or on an autocross. The car just destroys slaloms and transition elements. They are also incredibly easy to drive at the limit IMO. The handling capabilities (speed, g's etc) are miles better than a fiesta
Imo they feel very very different. From the second you drive the twins you can feel the weight down low compared to the fist and you get that feeling that it was a purpose built car.The fist feels great driving around town but when you actually push one hard you feel the weight fighting you in every way possible.

PhoenixM3

As much as I loved the fiesta platform after over 6 years of them it was time to move on. I picked up a WRX last June as the numbers were good on trade in of the fist. I knew the wrx would only be short term till I could get hands on one of these.I really believe you have to get these special types of cars when you can as I missed out on many great cars in the past. I know there has been talk with multiple members here on the new twin cars so figured I post and try and help anyone maybe in the market for one

View attachment 45934
Congrats! I’m chatting at a dealer now, but want the GR86 instead. Debating now on what to do with my ‘18 FiST......

CSM

1000 Post Club
Congrats! I’m chatting at a dealer now, but want the GR86 instead. Debating now on what to do with my ‘18 FiST......
Good time to sell. Carvana, Vroom, etc. are offering insane prices. I have a couple friends that have gotten almost what they paid 2-3 years ago for their FiSTs recently

PhoenixM3

Hmmm. If I were to put my loaded and S280 equipped 2018 FiST up for sale, what would be a fair price? What if Included a new Ford FiST long block?

jeff

2000 Post Club
The new GR86 looks to be an excellent car. I drove the 1st gen and loved it. No there's no torque but what the heck the car is so well balanced in every way. Feels old school. Feels like an old Honda, alot like my old 5th gen Prelude actually. If the new one is even better, like everyone says it is, I am sure it will offer tons of fun. And man they look so good.

Only downside is back seat really isn't useable whereas it is in the FiST. If you don't need the back seat/hatch and don't mind the lack of torque this is a great alternative to the FiST.

But the FiST is undoubtedly the better balanced all-around do-it-all daily driver.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hmmm. If I were to put my loaded and S280 equipped 2018 FiST up for sale, what would be a fair price? What if Included a new Ford FiST long block?
New long block installed?

A friend recently got $15k for his similarly spec'd Fiesta ST

Mikey456

I would like to see how the new GR86 compares to the ND Miata. The last time around the reviewers thought the the FRS was stiffer (obviously being a coupe) than the ND. However, the ND has a weight advantage at around 2400 lbs vs the GR86 at approx 2800 lbs.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I would like to see how the new GR86 compares to the ND Miata. The last time around the reviewers thought the the FRS was stiffer (obviously being a coupe) than the ND. However, the ND has a weight advantage at around 2400 lbs vs the GR86 at approx 2800 lbs.
There have been a few journalists that have tracked both...ND2 vs. BRZ/GR86. New twins are getting faster times every time. Throttle house is a good example. Also new twin wins in pure straight line speed.

OP
P

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
The new GR86 looks to be an excellent car. I drove the 1st gen and loved it. No there's no torque but what the heck the car is so well balanced in every way. Feels old school. Feels like an old Honda, alot like my old 5th gen Prelude actually. If the new one is even better, like everyone says it is, I am sure it will offer tons of fun. And man they look so good.

Only downside is back seat really isn't useable whereas it is in the FiST. If you don't need the back seat/hatch and don't mind the lack of torque this is a great alternative to the FiST.

But the FiST is undoubtedly the better balanced all-around do-it-all daily driver.
You really have to drive a new one with the upgrade in power. It’s pretty crazy how much better it is. I thought about this the other day about daily usability and I’d say the brz works well for me. I have a family of 4 with a 13 year old and 8 year old. We can still use the car around town without too much issue and I have been driving 5 hours in it every Sunday since I got it with me and the two kids and a trunk full of smit. It can hold a lot more in the trunk than I first thought. I do wish the rear seat was split though.