Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

For those with a 3.5 BAR TIP Map sensor....

The actual intake manifold MAP sensor is a TMAP sensor meaning it also supplies Air Temp to the ECU. The Throttle Inlet Pressure sensor is a simple MAP sensor. It’s the actual TMAP sensor that’s needed to provide safe tuning data. The TIP desired can be set well above the TIP MAP sensor capability with no problems. The TMAP is the King of the show.

The actual intake manifold MAP sensor is a TMAP sensor meaning it also supplies Air Temp to the ECU. The Throttle Inlet Pressure sensor is a simple MAP sensor. It’s the actual TMAP sensor that’s needed to provide safe tuning data. The TIP desired can be set well above the TIP MAP sensor capability with no problems. The TMAP is the King of the show.
Incorrect. The charge air temp reading (tmap) sensor is located in the cold pipe. The map sensor in the manifold simply reads boost pressure.

Incorrect. The charge air temp reading (tmap) sensor is located in the cold pipe. The map sensor in the manifold simply reads boost pressure.
Yep, you’re right. It’s been a while since I tuned any on the Fiesta. My latest project is a Raptor and it’s backwards as described. The 3.5L TT TMAP is in the manifold.

Jason, when users upgrade the TIP sensor to a 3.5 bar unit...am I correct in saying that you use that reading (TIP) as the primary (perhaps sole) boost measurement for north of 29 PSI for engine management? If that is true is replacing the MAP sensor really needed then or is it more for peace of mind? From logs I recorded the delta PSI between the TIP and MAP is around 1 psi max.

Jason, when users upgrade the TIP sensor to a 3.5 bar unit...am I correct in saying that you use that reading (TIP) as the primary (perhaps sole) boost measurement for north of 29 PSI for engine management? If that is true is replacing the MAP sensor really needed then or is it more for peace of mind? From logs I recorded the delta PSI between the TIP and MAP is around 1 psi max.

That is correct from what I have seen thus far. But I'm not too keen on this idea, as TIP Actual can sometimes be more than a 1 psi delta between MAP. Especially if the throttle plate is closing partially, then the pressure on each side of the plate is vastly different.

I am in the process of making an adapter to utilize the same Tmap sensor from the cold pipe, but in the manifold. I'll be releasing more information on this as it is available, but if everything works as intended, then we will be able to monitor actual manifold pressure up to 36 psi.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That is correct from what I have seen thus far. But I'm not too keen on this idea, as TIP Actual can sometimes be more than a 1 psi delta between MAP. Especially if the throttle plate is closing partially, then the pressure on each side of the plate is vastly different.

I am in the process of making an adapter to utilize the same Tmap sensor from the cold pipe, but in the manifold. I'll be releasing more information on this as it is available, but if everything works as intended, then we will be able to monitor actual manifold pressure up to 36 psi.
Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another note I'd like to add about the importance of a proper map sensor is the consideration when tuning for aux fuel.

The fuel controller works off 2 inputs. RPM and MAP voltage. If you have not seen a pressure sensor operate near its limit, you will find that it becomes very unstable as it approaches its limit. With that being said, when using the oem sensor, and running 25+ psi to redline (with a larger turbo), the resolution of map sensor becomes very erratic. You can actually see voltage jump around between 4.6-4.75v on a 5v sensor. This is not ideal for tuning the aux fuel system.

Replacing it with a larger scale sensor allows you to operate in a more appropriate range of the sensor, making aux fuel tuning much more simple and precise.