Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sideskirt reinstall - those rear most clip(s) aargh! Need some advice

Well I finally gotten around to removing my dangling sideskirt and got a pack of clips from Amazon. Now I'm trying to slide everything back into place.
How in the world does one get it back? Watched a video on how to take if off, but getting it back on wasn't really covered well.
I tried having all the clips in the body, but I could not force the rear onto those two back clips (due to
the sideskirt flange by rear tire). Next I tried having those two rear ones in the sideskirt, but that wasn't going well either.
How many sets of hands do I need to do this, and what is a method that works?

Fiestig

2 sets of hands is ideal. Someone hold the back and someone hold the front. Line masking tape up with each clip entry point so you have a visual reference where they are and once you hit the sweet spot it locks right in. It is a frustrating pita though.

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Fiestig, The marking with tape on the sideskirt and body is a great idea. I'm guessing you put the rearmost clip in the body first, certainly seems like I'll need a second person right at that clip if that is so?

Fiestig

Fiestig, The marking with tape on the sideskirt and body is a great idea. I'm guessing you put the rearmost clip in the body first, certainly seems like I'll need a second person right at that clip if that is so?
Honestly I don't recall. It has been a while. If I remember right, we literally just held the entire skirt on the body as much as possible and eventually it just slid right on. Now, keep in mind that I had OEM replacement clips which makes it a world of difference

OP
T
Thread Starter #5
For the sake of who might have this problem in the future. I watched one of the "Repair Guys" videos on how to remove the side skirt, and ordered a bag of clips on Amazon (they called them ROCKER clips). Sliding the Skirt back on was a no go for me. I did use making tape as a marker like Fiestig suggested. Here is my method and it has held up this week including an autocross:
1) Got the skirt off by sliding forward after removing end which is pop clipped in the front fender liner. You have to hold the rear end out a bit to clear. Kinda tough to get it off even with the broken clips.
2) The 3 clips under the car were salvageable and stayed in the body work. Pry out all the broken and remaining clips from the body work, the were fairly brittle so I was not able to reuse any. I use a pop clip tool.
3) Clean everything, clean everything again. Cut some double sided tape for where it was before. Slide new clips into skirt.
4) I jacked up the car on one side, I made some wooden wheel cradles from a previous repair and these worked well.
5) Slide the skirt onto the 3 lower clips, the skirt is hinged so it can slide all the back on the bottom and hand away from the side of the car.
6) Starting at the back, line holes and push clips back in. No satisfying "snap" sound I could hear, I did use a soft rubber mallet to hopefully push them home.
7) Work you way forwards pushing the clips in, use a bright light to help you line things up and see if you need to take a screwdriver to move a clip a little.
8) Use a clamp and some scrap piece of thin wood to hold the skirt by the double sided tape and let it sit overnight.
9) Repeat for other side.

Its not a bad job, just takes a lot longer than you would think.