Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford v Ferrari movie...

I have not walked in the door of a cinema in ten years. But, I will be buying a ticket to see this movie on the big screen. I think the real story of this is too big for Hollywood. The real life characters will be hard to portray.

Yes it's too bad Ford is pulling out of La Mans again :(

It was pretty crappy how they made Ford de-tune the GT because it was so fast.

OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #8
I expect that many timelines and circumstances of how people came to be involved in the LeMans effort will be either heavily compressed or altered.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
This is an actual term paper I wrote in high school as a budding car nut about the Ford GT at Le Mans. (Yes I know I'm dating myself here with the pre-computer handwritten paper.) I guess this shows it's easier to write about something that you're interested in, and as the movie shows it's still a very interesting story.

IMG_20190808_181150807_HDR.jpg IMG_20190808_181121611.jpg

OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #11
Cool. This story is interesting on several levels. People who are interested in the interplay of different personalities and it's effect on achieving difficult goals. Will like this story. Shelby American at that time was an unprecedented collection of uniquely and highly talented individuals. For example, each Gt 40 at a race had a mechanic assigned specifically to that car, it was his baby! Every person at Shelby American was a highly motivated person. If they were considered a tribe, it would have been a tribe entirely made up of chief's.

OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #12
My four favorite books on the GT 40. In no particular order of favorite are "GT 40, an individual history and race record." By Ronnie Spain. This is an intensive record of every single GT40 built. It's fascinating! The second one, "Inside Shelby American, racing and wrenching with Carroll Shelby in the 1960's." This one is a really good first hand account of the work day situation at SAI in the mid 60's. By John Morton,It's awesome, too! The third one is an archive work titled "Shelby GT40, original archives 1964 to 1967". By Dave Friedman. Shelby team official photographer. And the last favorite book is "Kar Kraft, race cars, prototypes and muscle cars of Ford's specialty vehicle activity program." I included this one because Kar Kraft became involved in building GT40 chassis and race prep as the program accelerated toward it's Finnish. Other groups, like Holman and Moody were also building their variations on the GT40 race chassis. But, the guy's who first dealt with the disaster of a program that Ford advanced vehicles (FAV) had made of the first iteration of the Ford GT was the wizard's at Shelby American. A thick book could be written about the genesis of the GT40 up to the point that the busted, effd up messes were dumped at Shelby's door. Needless to say, I have been interested in the the entire process of what it took to do what they did for quite some time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Its interesting and my friend Paul who owns Hi Flow Dynamics put it this way. When they changed the rules on Ford at LeMans Ford pretty much said fine we will take our cars and go home. This is actually a Ford mindset. They set out to prove they can do it and once its done if anything changes they just pack up their bags or like the kid in the school yards takes his ball and goes home.
You don’t want to play Fords way then Ford is like fine. Unlike GM who will double down and twist and turn to accommodate
Hence why Ford has built the GT 3 times in its history and each time discontinued it.
One would think they would make a GT as permanent Halo car much like GM does with the Corvette or Nissan has done with the GTR.
If Paul got a GT who would want FU ENZO for a lic plate lol.

OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #14
Its interesting and my friend Paul who owns Hi Flow Dynamics put it this way. When they changed the rules on Ford at LeMans Ford pretty much said fine we will take our cars and go home. This is actually a Ford mindset. They set out to prove they can do it and once its done if anything changes they just pack up their bags or like the kid in the school yards takes his ball and goes home.
You don’t want to play Fords way then Ford is like fine. Unlike GM who will double down and twist and turn to accommodate
Hence why Ford has built the GT 3 times in its history and each time discontinued it.
One would think they would make a GT as permanent Halo car much like GM does with the Corvette or Nissan has done with the GTR.
If Paul got a GT who would want FU ENZO for a lic plate lol.
Ford officially went home after the seven liter cars got banned. But, thanks to the sweet long green dollars from Gulf oil company, the GT40 continued on for a bit longer in small block form with a much revised roofline and renamed Mirage.
I have never got the impression that Ford ever had any intention of interest in creating a production, grand touring sports car. The first gen one was created because HF2 felt slighted and insulted when Enzo Ferrari toyed with his patience. The second one was the defacto ultimate centennial edition automobile. The third one is really a race car that's purpose is to showcase Ford technological capability. None of these cars were ever intended to be produced in large quantities. Thank God for replicas!

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ford officially went home after the seven liter cars got banned. But, thanks to the sweet long green dollars from Gulf oil company, the GT40 continued on for a bit longer in small block form with a much revised roofline and renamed Mirage.
I have never got the impression that Ford ever had any intention of interest in creating a production, grand touring sports car. The first gen one was created because HF2 felt slighted and insulted when Enzo Ferrari toyed with his patience. The second one was the defacto ultimate centennial edition automobile. The third one is really a race car that's purpose is to showcase Ford technological capability. None of these cars were ever intended to be produced in large quantities. Thank God for replicas!
You kinda missed my point.
I know about that stuff its just Ford really has this we proved what we set out to prove now we are going home mindset. Which is why the never made the cars as production cars except for the 2005 Heritage one and of course it had limited production numbers though more than the 2017 car which is a factory purpose built race that was offered to the Public in limited numbers.
Which is exactly why I mentioned Ford has never been interested in doing a production Halo car unless you consider the Mustang that I sure don”t. It’s a storied Pony car.
I cited the other companies as the fact that they did it and Ford could have done it.
Fact is yes the Mirage went on but it was never ever directly Ford backed like the original program. They took their toys and went home.

Last edited:
OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #16
Yes! After over five years, several difficult loses, several spectacular wins, the estimated cost of around two hundred fifty million dollars (when a dollar actually bought you a dollars worth of shit!), the Ford corporate Boeing 707 dispatched to France with windshields for race cars as the passengers,the heartbreaking death of the brilliant and multi talented Ken Miles while testing a prototype Ford race car, and the then new emissions and crash safety rules needing attention back in America.Yeah, you could say they decided to go home.

OP
Scotman2
Thread Starter #17
I know about that stuff its just Ford really has this we proved what we set out to prove now we are going home mindset. Which is why the never made the cars as production cars except for the 2005 Heritage one and of course it had limited production numbers though more than the 2017 car which is a factory purpose built race that was offered to the Public in limited numbers.
Which is exactly why I mentioned Ford has never been interested in doing a production Halo car unless you consider the Mustang that I sure don”t. It’s a storied Pony car.
I cited the other companies as the fact that they did it and Ford could have done it.
Fact is yes the Mirage went on but it was never ever directly Ford backed like the original program. They took their toys and went home.
I agree. They could have made a Corvette competitor. But Ford didn't, and still doesn't have the sustained ability to dedicate the manpower, and resources to a mass production two seat , sports car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is an actual term paper I wrote in high school as a budding car nut about the Ford GT at Le Mans. (Yes I know I'm dating myself here with the pre-computer handwritten paper.) I guess this shows it's easier to write about something that you're interested in, and as the movie shows it's still a very interesting story.

View attachment 22570 View attachment 22572
[twothumb][twothumb][raceflag]

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Cool. This story is interesting on several levels. People who are interested in the interplay of different personalities and it's effect on achieving difficult goals. Will like this story. Shelby American at that time was an unprecedented collection of uniquely and highly talented individuals. For example, each Gt 40 at a race had a mechanic assigned specifically to that car, it was his baby! Every person at Shelby American was a highly motivated person. If they were considered a tribe, it would have been a tribe entirely made up of chief's.
Phil Remington was a fabrication genius.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Weren't there a handful of street cars produced?

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk