Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford's New Sync 3 System for 2016 models

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Third Time's the Charm for Ford Sync 3?

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473485,00.asp

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-ford-sync-redesign-20141211-story.html

"Ford said Thursday it will introduce Sync 3 in its new Ford and Lincoln cars, starting with the 2016 model year. Almost all of its models are expected to have the new system by the 2017 model year.

Engineers from the automaker said the communications and entertainment system is a complete redesign that is faster, more intuitive and easier to use, with enhanced response to driver commands."

451360-sync-home-screen.jpg

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
BoostBumps you should be our resident news reporter. Great news reporting today by the way.[perfect10]

What happened with all the talk of going to Apple or a QNX based system? While they're certainly made strides with it in our cars its still far from "great". A $1.99 Garmin works better than the nav does, however the voice command system works well once after about 6mos of learning its commands.....

I will say though having had a new Chrysler 200 for a rental a while back, Sync/MFT is light years ahead of the garbage uConnect.

Sync 3 is a QNX based system that also incorporates mobile Siri. Makes me wonder if running Car Play might be an option.
Gotcha, so is it still a microsoft system or have they finally dumped that garbage? They do that and it will be a lot better.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Gotcha, so is it still a microsoft system or have they finally dumped that garbage? They do that and it will be a lot better.
Its no longer Microsoft, Sync 3 is BlackBerry QNX-based software.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
The three worst systems I ever had were "blows" that came in my duramax trucks and a Vette, trash can quality. The Ford stuff is better but in this age there is no excuse for all the issues we have with it, would not be so bad if not so integrated into the car:(

BlackBerry's last breath of life
Not necessarily. The handset devision of blackberry is obviously garbage but the separate QNX devision has actually done pretty well in the automotive space. I believe they already underpin a number of different systems (all of the VAG group, BMW and Mercedes). I can't quote marketshare numbers, but judging by the number of car makers showing off the next gen of QNX infotainment systems, I think they are doing pretty good.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I don't know what you are complaining about.
My SYNC system works perfectly.

Dave

Harvick

1000 Post Club

Dave
Other than lack of app support mine works great too, the problem is that most people don't bother to learn the Sync system and complain its not intuitive so Ford has to go and dumb things down even more.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #17
Other than lack of app support mine works great too, the problem is that most people don't bother to learn the Sync system and complain its not intuitive so Ford has to go and dumb things down even more.

Agreed...and well said!

I love my SYNC system too! Once you learn all the commands it works a lot better than a lot of the other manufacturers. I like the command "where am I?" Which comes in handy on all the unmarked dirt roads in town.

Dave
Well a few of us are bound to have systems that run almost error free but the body of issues and customer backlash speaks for itself. Yes people do need to take some time to learn the system but these are also the same people that drive down the road without headlights on, turn signals that never shut off, and are unable to hold a speed as they haven't discovered their car has a cruise control system.

My gripe stems from the lagging GPS that goes north instead of south and tries to direct me through buildings to get to my destination, voice control that cannot comprehend a # when trying to verbally input an address, sync that won't "sync" to my phone, ipod, or even its own cd player at times and simply defaults to FM, screen images overlapping each other when changing screens etc....

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
As I have said, Mine works perfectly and I have not experienced any of what you describe.
I do not doubt you, nor others.
I have all of my tunes loaded on to a 500GB hard drive and again it works just fine.
Maybe there is something wrong with yours and it needs to be repaired.
Maybe as they say in the disclaimer, that not all equipment is compatible.

I am sure that even with the new SYNC3 some people will still have problems.

Dave