Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FRPP Handling Package = comfort...

I installed the Koni/Eibach combo on my wife's ST and while it was better than the OEM ST hardware it still wasn't comfortable. Admittedly I didn't even realize until later that I made a couple mistakes with that install. Most significantly I didn't cut the bump stops - I guess I got it in my head that the hardware was for "comforting", not for "lowering"...and just overlooked it. So I picked up the FRPP handling package since it was so affordable. Below are some notes

- the Eibach springs damaged the strut top bearing on one side. Perhaps not coincidentally on that side I failed to align the bearing in the mounting cup correctly such that the strut top studs were out of their little cutouts...like I told everyone not to do in my Koni install thread[screwy]. Oops. This may have caused the spring to apply more pressure at the end of the coil and deform the bearing. The mounting surface of the bearing didn't look like it was touching the other side of the bearing, but it was close. On the other strut, the end of the spring did wear a hole in the bellows. So my advice: don't get the bearing/cup wrong AND replace the bellows on every strut replacement. I know Ford calls for it but it's usually one of those things you can get away with not doing. On this platform I recommend replacing the bellows, the strut top bearings and the strut mount bolts/nut. I still think the strut top nuts and the main strut nut can be reused. YMMV. The spring perch rubber isolator should also be replaced, but see below.

- FRPP spring perches are significantly different than the OEM ST or Konis. The FRPP perch has a large indent to accept the bottom of the FRPP spring. Problem is that the OEM rubber spring isolator doesn't really fit this configuration. So, I had to modify the rubber isolator by cutting the nubs off the bottom and cutting the raised portion of it that fits around the tab on the OEM perch. Not ideal but the best I could do in a pinch. In researching the problem I see that the FRPP kit is the OEM Euro Fiesta suspension. So, I'm sure there is an OEM isolator for them somewhere. Ford shouldn't sell the kit without it....that's a little silly...or lazy. I believe some of the hardware is shown on this Euro forum post: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forum...mountune-m-r-165-modifications-thread/?page=7 , but I'm not sure. The spring isolator shown there looks just like ours, but then there is THIS PHOTO that looks molded like the FRPP strut perch. Hard to say. Either way, be prepared to come up with a universal solution or other option.

- A Gear wrench for the main strut nut is a winner!

- Ride quality is what I would describe as two to three steps more comfortable than the Koni/Eibachs and we are VERY happy about that. Handling doesn't seem to have taken a huge hit. In the short time I've driven it on twisties it did roll a little more on really tight stuff, but not much more overall. I found it to be very easy to hustle the car in a calm manner at fairly-high-for-the-street speeds. Same speed I'd normally take the section just less busy feeling. The most noticeable handling step backwards was turn-in. It doesn't feel anywhere near as direct as it used to. Also, I'm wondering if the torque vectoring and stability control programming is now out of it's comfort zone. I feel little hesitations here and there and I'm having a hard time believing it's engine response. I guess that would be hard to say without logging.

- I can't speak to the looks yet. I've only seen it at night. From what I can see it doesn't look much higher than the OEM suspension was. I'll get daytime pictures in a few days.

Overall we are WAY happy with the difference this has made. We didn't buy the car because we wanted a handling hero. It's my wife's commuter so this makes the car feel more like a ballsy sport tourer. I know this is the opposite direction that people usually take suspension mods but that's what mods are about - making the car what YOU want it to be. Philosophically, I don't think the ST badge fits the car any more. Maybe.... SE-T [thumb]. I'll put the Koni/Eibach combo up for sale at some point.

Spring perch differences:

Front bump stop differences:

Left to right: OEM spring, Eibach Pro-kit, FRPP.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
the FRPP kit isn't that bad at all. I had it on my 2011 and found it to be pretty good. After driving the ST, it felt way too soft, but more comfortable over bumpy surfaces.

OP
J
Thread Starter #4
Took it for a long drive up on ACH. SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE. Found myself feeling less beat up and less inclined to want to leave. The car still has lots of grip, it's just not sharp-edged any more. As for the height, it's just a tad bit higher than perfect. Good enough for the wife's car.

This was the car on the Eibach/Koni combo:

This was the OEM suspension: