Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel mileage / economy

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
When I bought this car about 2-3 years ago I remember thinking it was just a matter of time before we saw $3+ a gallon. I was looking hard at muscle cars and decided against it and picked up my FIST for $9k.

I feel like I can still have fun even with gas prices as high as they are.
I bet you feel really good about that decision now!

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I bet you feel really good about that decision now!
Barring an accident, we decided the next vehicle we purchase will probably be an electric truck or van to replace our family hauler.

I remember when gas hit $4 in 2008 when wages were even lower, and I drove a carbureted 1987 Honda Accord 5 speed. I got 40mpg all highway evacuating for hurricane gustav. Driving past blacked out gas stations with NO GAS signs was anxiety inducing.

Erick_V

When I bought this car about 2-3 years ago I remember thinking it was just a matter of time before we saw $3+ a gallon. I was looking hard at muscle cars and decided against it and picked up my FIST for $9k.

I have an 04 IS300 in the garage that I’ve been waiting till spring to bring out after refreshing the front end, new tires and alignment. That thing gets like 16-17mpg. I saw 4.69 a gallon last night for 93 and said “Well, she can sit a bit longer”. Even on E30 I still get at least 23mpg. Sucks because I love having a daily drifter. The IS300 is comfy and a blast but for being as slow as it is (probably 180whp) it SUCKS gas down. FiST keeps me happy so I’ll survive for now, need to get ready for Track Nights in America in April anyways.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I have an 04 IS300 in the garage that I’ve been waiting till spring to bring out after refreshing the front end, new tires and alignment. That thing gets like 16-17mpg. I saw 4.69 a gallon last night for 93 and said “Well, she can sit a bit longer”. Even on E30 I still get at least 23mpg. Sucks because I love having a daily drifter. The IS300 is comfy and a blast but for being as slow as it is (probably 180whp) it SUCKS gas down. FiST keeps me happy so I’ll survive for now, need to get ready for Track Nights in America in April anyways.
Didn't @Dpro; say that blocking the spoiler vents improved MPG's a lot? Would be be cool is someone made a snap-in insert to plug them.

I saw a big improvement in the summer gas mileage when I installed a Montune 3 pass radiator. Gained about 3 1/2 mpg in city driving and about 1 mpg on the highway. Downside is that when the engine is cold it drinks gasoline like a drunk on a bender and that larger radiator slows warming the engine to operating temperature. BTW, total stock tune on mine but do have a Cobb 2 1/2 inch exhaust, Mountune Intercooler, hoses, and intake kit. Was thinking about going to an MR230 tune when the EPA shut that option down cold. Before the Mountune add-ons I would see 39 MPG on the highway and 30 in the city, Now with all the performance items in place my highway mileage is 36 mpg in the summer and city mileage has hit 34.5 when I was driving like a 95 year old, normally in the summer I'll net 32-33 mpg in the city.

As for 87 Octane gas, that will cost about 4 1/2 mpg and cut the power by a notable amount. I can tell you that there is a LOT of octane cheating going on out there and I know exactly when I've been "bit" by a cheat because I see in in the mileage indicator within 1/2 mile of filling up. Here in the metro Detroit area the retailers to avoid are Speedway, BP, and Sunoco. Naturaly because it's Fraud some outlets are safe and others are a complete ripoff. It pisses me off enough that if I have the time I'll stop in at the local PD and report the Fraud. Odd as it sounds I've found the most reliable retailers are actually Kroger GAs stops. Probably because a major chain doesn't want to get the national coverage that this particular type of Fraud would cause.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account

Same here. I was thinking that with the pony car renaissance going on, I'd love a Mustang or a Challenger. They are such beautiful, fast cars. I wanted a 392 with the Shaker hood scoop and a 6-speed.

But, I remember gas hitting almost $5/gal when Bush was president. I also remember seeing it for just over $1 when COVID was raging.

Oil companies love to gouge us when things look shaky, and they're doing it again. https://fortune.com/2022/02/10/big-...estment-energy-transition-dividends-buybacks/
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/dec/06/oil-companies-profits-exxon-chevron-shell-exclusive

OP
tri-pedaler
Thread Starter #28
I saw a big improvement in the summer gas mileage when I installed a Montune 3 pass radiator. Gained about 3 1/2 mpg in city driving and about 1 mpg on the highway. Downside is that when the engine is cold it drinks gasoline like a drunk on a bender and that larger radiator slows warming the engine to operating temperature. BTW, total stock tune on mine but do have a Cobb 2 1/2 inch exhaust, Mountune Intercooler, hoses, and intake kit. Was thinking about going to an MR230 tune when the EPA shut that option down cold. Before the Mountune add-ons I would see 39 MPG on the highway and 30 in the city, Now with all the performance items in place my highway mileage is 36 mpg in the summer and city mileage has hit 34.5 when I was driving like a 95 year old, normally in the summer I'll net 32-33 mpg in the city.

As for 87 Octane gas, that will cost about 4 1/2 mpg and cut the power by a notable amount. I can tell you that there is a LOT of octane cheating going on out there and I know exactly when I've been "bit" by a cheat because I see in in the mileage indicator within 1/2 mile of filling up. Here in the metro Detroit area the retailers to avoid are Speedway, BP, and Sunoco. Naturaly because it's Fraud some outlets are safe and others are a complete ripoff. It pisses me off enough that if I have the time I'll stop in at the local PD and report the Fraud. Odd as it sounds I've found the most reliable retailers are actually Kroger GAs stops. Probably because a major chain doesn't want to get the national coverage that this particular type of Fraud would cause.
Yeah looking forward to going off winter blend fuels and seeing what the does to performance and mpg. Interesting what you said about stations and fraud - I’ve been going to Shell, so we’ll see

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I'm starting to mix 87 and 93 (just doing $25 every other) and try to not over react on Rt202.....
The whole stretch of 202 near me from Doylestown right on south almost to Norristown is only a 40 MPH limit.
(It's also only 45-50 from D-town north right to the river bridge into Joyzee.)

So unless I am the first one at a light on that road, and decide to try for a new personal 0-60 record, there is no possibility for any over-reaction on my part, given just how traffic dense that road is most of the time I am on it.

I paid about $4.55/gallon of Shell VPower 93 today in Stockton, N.J. with the .05/gallon discount from my Shell fuel rewards card.

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't know how you get over 30mpg city driving. The best I've done is 28mpg and that's driving like a grandma.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is 87 bad for the engine or will it just make less power? With gas being so expensive, I was thinking about going to a Cobb stage 0 tune and filling up on 87. I'm driving like a grandma anyway to increase mpg lol. My fiesta is getting driven a lot right now because I'm waiting on parts to fix my focus.
It will hurt your Rep with Fellow FiST peeps who will consider you frugal and tell you should've just bought a ST-line instead*

Sam4

The whole stretch of 202 near me from Doylestown right on south almost to Norristown is only a 40 MPH limit.
(It's also only 45-50 from D-town north right to the river bridge into Joyzee.)

So unless I am the first one at a light on that road, and decide to try for a new personal 0-60 record, there is no possibility for any over-reaction on my part, given just how traffic dense that road is most of the time I am on it.

I paid about $4.55/gallon of Shell VPower 93 today in Stockton, N.J. with the .05/gallon discount from my Shell fuel rewards card.
location: West Chester. 202 stops at KOP and turns into a neighborhood street until the other side of the jersey toll bridge (I'm from CB East, remember??). 202 in ChesCo is now a friggin disaster without any kind of police activity - never thought I'd say that. I'm 75+ in the left lane and I can't wait to see what some asshole is going to do off the bypass...every day!

I’m running a Cobb tune, and occasionally put it in “economy mode” which pulls the boost out and makes it drive like a rental car. But, then it’s no fun and I put it right back.

My Fist is my fun car and normally sees freeway duty a few times a month, so I’m averaging 29-30, driving like, well an idiot. I’m going to make an effort to see what it will average on a full tank of 87 on economy mode. I won’t be able to drive like an idiot. Plus I can buy 87 for “only” $5.50 rather than $6.00 (of course that was last night’s price, I’m sure it’s more now).

My daily commuters are motorcycles, so I’m already pretty fuel efficient. But my little 300cc is getting more use now…

In any case, I sold a blown track/street Mustang to buy the Fist, so I’m already money ahead I guess. On boost, you could almost see the gas needle move on that car.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Makes you wonder how I paid $3.79 for Exxon 93 yesterday in E. TN! Gas in other states has also not gone crazy. Pic shows local prices today on 93, the Midnite Oil is non Alky 93 (Marathon) that my MP-215 Fifi absolutly loves.

Attachments

Last edited:

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Makes you wonder how I paid $3.79 for Exxon 93 yesterday in E. TN! Gas in other states has also not gone crazy. Pic shows local prices today on 93, the Midnite Oil is non Alky 93 (Marathon) that my MP-215 Fifi absolutly loves.
How!?! That's 93! I'm very envious, I paid more for 87 last night here in central NC

FiestaSTdude

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It will hurt your Rep with Fellow FiST peeps who will consider you frugal and tell you should've just bought a ST-line instead*
😂
The ST-line is the most disappointing car. I saw one at a used car place and though it was an ST so I went to look at it. Automatic transmission told me everything I needed to know 🤮

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There is always 263 to Furlong, and back home by way of Forest Grove Rd....
Mechanicsville Road to (north) Sugan Road is my fave around here, as far as some 'twisties' go. [driving]

But one must be cautious there, as the cop shop is right on Sugan near the intersection with 263 (Upper York Road), and one of the blind bends could have them facing you unexpectedly in their Explorers, on their way back to/from there. [:(]

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The area may not have 'caught up' yet as far as the gouging goes. [wink] [:(]