Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fuel Tank Capacity?

XuperXero

According to Owner's Manual, it states 42.8 liters (11.3 gallons).

I created a habit of recording every fill up since Day 1 from purchase. However, looking at my gas mileage data, my average fill up is 46.28 liters (12.22 gal) with my highest being 50.9 liters (13.45 gal).

I usually fill up when the light comes on (with exception of 50.9 which is was 1km to empty). Now my questions is... how big is the tank actually?![???:)]

Also how big is the reserve tank if we have one?

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
12.42 gallons as per the service manual.

Dave

It's crazy that the Focus ST has the same size tank (I'm seeing between 12.2 and 12.4L with Google search).

DHM1

1000 Post Club
I was on walk the other day and put 12.2 gal in lol

Russ

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Yup Dave got it 12.4 and it will fit too :) gotta know that for E85 mixin .. just sayin is how I know ..

OP
XuperXero

XuperXero

Thread Starter #6
That doesn't explain how I put in 13.45 gals once. There MUST be a reserve tank.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
That doesn't explain how I put in 13.45 gals once. There MUST be a reserve tank.
There is NO reserve tank.
However, you can continue to fill.
This only means that you are filling the vapor canister.
This is not only harmful to the emissions system on the car but can also stop the car from running.

I have seen this so many times before.
It is usually caused by over filling (topping off) the tank.
This can be caused by a faulty pump handle at the gas station.
If this continues to happen at different stations and if you honestly do NOT top off the tank, then you should see your dealer.
There may be something wrong preventing the auto shut off of the pump.

Dave

i notice if you try to continue pumping after the the pump clicks, it'll start leaking out somewhere and it comes down right behind the rear tires~~

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
i notice if you try to continue pumping after the the pump clicks, it'll start leaking out somewhere and it comes down right behind the rear tires~~
That is correct and the way it is suppose to work.
Normally the gas rushes up the filler neck, causing the pump handle to shut off.
However if you continue to pump at this point you will have filled the filler neck.
The filler neck is higher than the Evap Canister and the gas will then settle in the Evap Canister.
This is why the signs say "Do Not Top Off"

The filler neck will not hold a gallon of gas, so if it not going on the ground then it has to be going somewhere.

Dave

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
I have seen this in the past at shady gas stations where the pump cal if off and it says you are pumping more than you really are. How else could I have gotten 15 gal in a Honda Fit.. Though they are supposed to be state or federal weight and measure certifide who know what goes on in the back woods sometimes.. btw 12 gal tank on the Honda Fit if i recall..

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I recall seeing this a long time ago as well now that you mention it.
They even came up with a way to fool Weighs & Measures.

Dave