Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?

wetwea33

I appreciate the input. Shopping for cars right now is a little challenging and I'm starting to see prices dropping. A couple tempting options are popping up:

- fiance's client is selling their 2018 cts-v. checking it out tomorrow (she says no Corvette if I go this route due to upper budget range)

- local dealership will sell me a golf r below MSRP. I know I shouldn't, but.... Golf r

- new f150 fx4 for $10k below MSRP

-new plug-in hybrid polestar for slightly below msrp (no Corvette if I go this route [emoji22])

Scratching off my list:
-Hyundai gv70 don't think it's out yet or none available
-vw gli, drives great and affordable, but ugly and cheap interior
-infiniti q50 red sport really nice all around but dated interior
-toyota Avalon overpriced for what it is IMO. equivalent accord is almost $10k less.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
If you can afford the v, get the v.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I got to drive a 2018 CTS-V at work a few months back, and that thing is the definition of a monster. You so much as breathe on the gas pedal at low speeds and the rear tires are gone lol. Definitely has the fun factor you're looking for, while retaining both the grown-up style and creature comforts

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #64

I can afford the v. But if I get that I'll have to forego a sports car. Tempting though. Curious to see how this used one is. Older owner so [emoji1696]

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #65
The V WAGONS are wicked (IF you can find one!), but would your clients still consider you a Luddite 'knuckle-dragger' for even having a manual gearbox?!?
I don't need to worry about them riding with me just appearances. If I were to get a cts v it'd be a 2018+ and they only make sedans. I love the v wagons but a little dated

wetwea33

I can afford the v. But if I get that I'll have to forego a sports car. Tempting though. Curious to see how this used one is. Older owner so [emoji1696]

If you have the fist as a track auto X car then you dont need to have a sports car TBH. The gen 3s are monstors. You have a car that on boltons can make 800whp and be perfectly reliable, is luxurious, and looks mean as hell.

DoomsdayMelody

Genesis G70 2.0t sport. 6 speed manual, and a decent RWD driver’s car with a factory LSD all while looking professional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #69
Mercedes CLA 45 AMG
I'd opt for the GLA 45 g since the cla drives like a bigger car anyways. Drove a tuned/catless one and was not impressed. Great top end. Everything else was slower and less confidence inspiring. Flashy interior though.

Or for simil money I'd opt for a mid-range c class.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #70
If you have the fist as a track auto X car then you dont need to have a sports car TBH. The gen 3s are monstors. You have a car that on boltons can make 800whp and be perfectly reliable, is luxurious, and looks mean as hell.
I was hoping for a Corvette or a newer cayman.

Even though the cts-v isn't supposed to be a car I'm trying to go fast or mod... I know they are capable of being supercar fast. So it's tempting. But they're still not a lightweight, flickable car.

Honestly I don't know what this guy is asking so we'll see. If the price is right [emoji2376]

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #71
Genesis G70 2.0t sport. 6 speed manual, and a decent RWD driver’s car with a factory LSD all while looking professional.

Why not the bigger motor? No manual?

TemecFist

I'd opt for the GLA 45 g since the cla drives like a bigger car anyways. Drove a tuned/catless one and was not impressed. Great top end. Everything else was slower and less confidence inspiring. Flashy interior though.

Or for simil money I'd opt for a mid-range c class.

Was it the AMG or the non-AMG. Did you try the launch control?...if so, how was it?
Theres always the M2 Competition!! That is what I would go for.

DoomsdayMelody

Why not the bigger motor? No manual?

Yeah 3.3 is auto only otherwise I’d recommend it, given your criteria seems like the sport trim of the G70 would be a good fit.

If you just want a big comfy executive car, the G80 comes with a 5L V8 good for 420 hp which I feel is a number befitting of someone in your trade...

You can also find 1-3 year old ones for peanuts.

DoomsdayMelody

Also worth mentioning (sorry for back to back responses)

I’ve got my eyes on the new Sonata N-Line. Tires are supposed to be 245 for section width, and they’re promising over 300hp.

Hyundai really seems like its trying to poach ford’s car buyers.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Fun to drive 'grown-up' car?
The Fiesta ST is nominated.

Maybe this was brought up before, but I don't like the implication of this. Is the Fiesta a "kid" car? :) If that's how some people see it, then I consider that a character flaw among those specific people.

In reading the opening post, I see that it's the changes to the original car that is triggering this post. (loud exhaust, stickers, etc)

You could consider a second FiST and just avoid the temptation to change this and that.

Don't mean to sound insulting, but "grown-ups" realize it's not about what other people think. Do what the family needs, and you want. As long as it checks all the functionality boxes and meets priorities, the rest is irrelevant. I could see someone going with a larger vehicle for transporting taller/bigger passengers on a frequent basis. (passenger side is narrow compared to driver) Otherwise, what would you respect more? Someone with no debt driving a stripped Fiesta, or mired down in debt, driving a late model loaded BMW? Adults like toys and like to have fun. But the most mature of us adults, see no value in buying for strangers.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #76
Was it the AMG or the non-AMG. Did you try the launch control?...if so, how was it?
Theres always the M2 Competition!! That is what I would go for.
It was the AMG. Catless and tuned. H&r springs. It could go in a straight line but no confidence turning or braking. Never launched it with launch control. It was my previous boss' car.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #77
I never considered a second FiST. I agree my mods are what makes the car offensive. I'm considering selling my ITG intake [emoji22]. Just hadn't thought of getting two of the same car and keeping one stock looking/sounding.

Unfortunately I care about what some people think since I'm asking them for investment, to sign off on plans or pass inspection. There's a stigma around this industry that makes certain normal things (like banking and fund-raising) really hard. Just trying not to offend anyone that may affect my bottom line.

In LA you'll see small businesses with parking lots full of $60k BMWs and mercedes with no one batting an eye. You see that same parking lot full of modded infinitys, Subarus, Honda type Rs and people assume drug dealers/street racers/something sketchy. Ask a cop who they're more likely to stop for speeding g wagon Or a Subaru with tints and aftermarket wheels? I think stereotypes are wrong but they're there.

And yes the selfish part of me that's used to having 2+ cars at a time wouldn't mind something nicer, discreet, more relaxed and still fun.

DoomsdayMelody

I came from a Fusion into the Fiesta, they aren’t bad cars but I always regretted getting the Fusion over the Mazda6. If you need a bigger car and want decent driving dynamics, the Mazda has the Fusion beat.

That said, you can get a used Fusion with a 6 speed and the 1.6 ecoboost engine so that might be the closest to the Fiesta that you can get while looking professional, the only realistic difference is that the Fusion weighs almost 1000lbs more than the Fiesta, and the wheel base is a lot longer. By comparison to the FiST, it’s a numb barge. Only thing I’d say to look out for is that the Fusion EATS brakes, always the rears faster than the fronts too, just a weird platform characteristic.

OP
HBEcoBeaST

HBEcoBeaST

Thread Starter #80
Came back from checking out the CTS V. Over budget and wheels were curb rashed to hell and it needs new tires. Nice and Fun car but beyond my needs and wallet. Actually a lot quieter on the inside than I remember. Call me poor but hard to stomach almost $70k for a used car that's not in perfect condition and has high maintenance costs (tires lol). I could drive a new cayman or Corvette for that money and maintenance wouldn't be much (if any) more. Next...

Scheduled a test drive in a day golf r Friday. Below msrp [emoji1696]

Ford dealer told me they were about to start new factory discounts, 0% financing and a trade in deal. I could get a stage 3 rousch for 0% financing right now lol.

Hyundai dealer is being weird and only has certain new models available for test drive. No g70 besides the awd around me.