Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Glendale, Los Feliz, Hollywood, Studio City, Echo Park, Burbank, Eaglerock

Dpro

6000 Post Club
About time for meet&coffee. Just throwing out location possibilities: old LosFilez Lot, Burbank Empire Center, LaCanada Panara Lot...
Old Los Feliz lot has a Starbucks but La Canada Panara lot could always be a thought for an impromptu jaunt up the 2. Of course it would probably busier and how early does Panara open?

RubenZZZ

1000 Post Club
Im in. Gotta toss in the new springs and shocks in ASAP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Ok guys we have a Date Sunday the 13th of June . Now I think 7 am would be a good time as the Franciscan Center off Los Feliz Blvd is where we used to meet before and it works pretty well for the meet and greet. There is a Starbucks there that opens at like 6 am.
That is the Best Buy/Costco/ Bank Parking lot for anyone unfamiliar with the name.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
If I am looking it up correctly, is it next to the Best Buy and Costco on Los Feliz Blvd?
Yes

So where do we meet? [wave]

Franciscan Center

When Do we Meet?

Sunday June 13th 6:30- 7:00 A.M. till…….

What do we do?
We Meet with SoCal like minded Fiesta ST [lovest]Enthusiasts Fanatics nuts and talk about all things Fiesta ST [perfect10]

Ok, so this is a tangent, still a road trip, but not local: The wife and I drove up to Vegas two weeks ago for a 4 day trip. We left on July 10th about 2 in the afternoon. No traffic on the way up, except for a little bit of nonsense on the pass going up to Victorville on the 15. As we got north of Barstow we just kept seeing the outside temperature slowly (not that slowly) climbing from 105 to a blistering 122. That readout was on my sat nav display. Most likely it was a couple degrees high-ish. So I have the AC dial on "2" and set at 74. The car has been reading 4 bars on the engine temperature the entire trip. That is where the car reads it's temp about 2 minutes after I start it up in the morning and stays there all day every day. I have never, in the 37k miles and 7 years owning the car, ever seen 5 bars or higher....you can already tell where this is going. Temp displayed on the "world's largest thermometer" at Baker reads 119. Just north of Baker is a long stretch of an uphill climb for miles. My wife sees a sign and reads it out loud, "Uphill gradient for the next 16 miles, please turn off AC to prevent overheating." She didn't even get the C out in AC before I shouted, "FUCK THAT!" The person who put that sign up did it in February and has never gone outside in the desert since. We're cruising, listening to old school Vegas tunes (i.e. Sinatra, Darin, Martin, etc.) when my wife hears a bong. I didn't hear it. 10 seconds later..."bong". Turned off the radio..."bong". On that bong, I started to loose horsepower. Looked at my dash readouts. Temp light is on and the temp gauge is pinned at a full 8 bars! We still had about 10 miles of uphill to go. I got into the truck lane, slowed to 60 (I was doing 80) and turned the AC off. Within 30 seconds we were drenched in sweat. We killed off the rest of the water we had by the time we got to the top of said hill climb. Temp slowly came down to 5 bars by the time we got to the top. Once it leveled out, I turned on the AC to "2" again and set the temp at 78. Car balanced back out at 4 bars, so I picked up the pace to about 72 mph. I was fine the rest of the way to Vegas and all the way back home.

Although, going back home I usually get 3 mpg better than on the way up. I got 35.1 to Vegas, but only managed 29.3 coming back. Very strange.

Ok, so this is a tangent, still a road trip, but not local: The wife and I drove up to Vegas two weeks ago for a 4 day trip. We left on July 10th about 2 in the afternoon. No traffic on the way up, except for a little bit of nonsense on the pass going up to Victorville on the 15. As we got north of Barstow we just kept seeing the outside temperature slowly (not that slowly) climbing from 105 to a blistering 122. That readout was on my sat nav display. Most likely it was a couple degrees high-ish. So I have the AC dial on "2" and set at 74. The car has been reading 4 bars on the engine temperature the entire trip. That is where the car reads it's temp about 2 minutes after I start it up in the morning and stays there all day every day. I have never, in the 37k miles and 7 years owning the car, ever seen 5 bars or higher....you can already tell where this is going. Temp displayed on the "world's largest thermometer" at Baker reads 119. Just north of Baker is a long stretch of an uphill climb for miles. My wife sees a sign and reads it out loud, "Uphill gradient for the next 16 miles, please turn off AC to prevent overheating." She didn't even get the C out in AC before I shouted, "FUCK THAT!" The person who put that sign up did it in February and has never gone outside in the desert since. We're cruising, listening to old school Vegas tunes (i.e. Sinatra, Darin, Martin, etc.) when my wife hears a bong. I didn't hear it. 10 seconds later..."bong". Turned off the radio..."bong". On that bong, I started to loose horsepower. Looked at my dash readouts. Temp light is on and the temp gauge is pinned at a full 8 bars! We still had about 10 miles of uphill to go. I got into the truck lane, slowed to 60 (I was doing 80) and turned the AC off. Within 30 seconds we were drenched in sweat. We killed off the rest of the water we had by the time we got to the top of said hill climb. Temp slowly came down to 5 bars by the time we got to the top. Once it leveled out, I turned on the AC to "2" again and set the temp at 78. Car balanced back out at 4 bars, so I picked up the pace to about 72 mph. I was fine the rest of the way to Vegas and all the way back home.

Although, going back home I usually get 3 mpg better than on the way up. I got 35.1 to Vegas, but only managed 29.3 coming back. Very strange.
I Don't recollect, but did you have a Mishimoto, mountune, or stock radiator? (Interested to know if bigger aftermarket can still overheat in extreme heat.)

Last edited:

Mikey456

I assume you are running a tune, but it makes we wonder if switching to the standard tune could have prevented the overheating. Manufacturers test their cars under those extreme environments before putting their cars in the market.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I assume you are running a tune, but it makes we wonder if switching to the standard tune could have prevented the overheating. Manufacturers test their cars under those extreme environments before putting their cars in the market.
No its literally a Southern Desert state situation. I had the all bells thing happen on little Tujunga at 2 in the afternoon running in 85 degree weather with my air on. Stock tune stock radiator.

Its why I went to Aftermarket ( Mountune ) radiator very early on in my mods .

Its a practical, preventive mod that with our cars every one should do in North America. Due to our extremely varying geography and temps. IMO

Also Tunes do not affect the engine temps. Plus I do not think Ford of Germany tested the FiST in extreme enviroments. I am sure Ford did it with the Fiesta SE but see its a non turbo car much less heat under the hood. .
Turbo cars get very hot by nature.

Mikey456

No its literally a Southern Desert state situation. I had the all bells thing happen on little Tujunga at 2 in the afternoon running in 85 degree weather with my air on. Stock tune stock radiator.

Its why I went to Aftermarket ( Mountune ) radiator very early on in my mods .

Its a practical, preventive mod that with our cars every one should do in North America. Due to our extremely varying geography and temps. IMO

Also Tunes do not affect the engine temps. Plus I do not think Ford of Germany tested the FiST in extreme enviroments. I am sure Ford did it with the Fiesta SE but see its a non turbo car much less heat under the hood. .
Turbo cars get very hot by nature.
Not sure I’m following you on the tune not increasing engine temp. The tune increases boost which in turn increases engine temp. Unless we are talking about the ethanol stuff which supposedly runs things cooler. I almost never use my A/C unless the family is in the car btw. Strange that you overheated but you are not supposed to run a/c in the hills [emoji1]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Not sure I’m following you on the tune not increasing engine temp. The tune increases boost which in turn increases engine temp. Unless we are talking about the ethanol stuff which supposedly runs things cooler. I almost never use my A/C unless the family is in the car btw. Strange that you overheated but you are not supposed to run a/c in the hills [emoji1]
The increase of boost with a tune on a stock turbo is really not enough to raise temps with an significance. As far as running AC in the hills it was unintentional in the fact I started at the bottom of the hill and it was like mid 90’s and just plain forgot to turn off the AC as I climbed. Though the fact that it happened was not lost on me.
I also feel trying to dial up the stock turbo beyond 23lbs of boost does not net a lot to make it worthwhile . IMO .

None the less regardless of how you feel in our climate running an upgraded aluminum radiator is cost effective insurance against overheating and a practical upgrade like I have said before and will keep on saying. Plus stock radiators are plastic end tank junk ., Plastic end tanks can and do blowup . Been there seen it first hand in more expensive cars than ours.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I found that the hood vents I had worked the best in keeping engine temps down due to better air flow.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Mikey456

The increase of boost with a tune on a stock turbo is really not enough to raise temps with an significance. As far as running AC in the hills it was unintentional in the fact I started at the bottom of the hill and it was like mid 90’s and just plain forgot to turn off the AC as I climbed. Though the fact that it happened was not lost on me.
I also feel trying to dial up the stock turbo beyond 23lbs of boost does not net a lot to make it worthwhile . IMO .

None the less regardless of how you feel in our climate running an upgraded aluminum radiator is cost effective insurance against overheating and a practical upgrade like I have said before and will keep on saying. Plus stock radiators are plastic end tank junk ., Plastic end tanks can and do blowup . Been there seen it first hand in more expensive cars than ours.
Have tried the hills above Malibu.? Our cars run cooler near the sea (the valleys are pretty hot right now) The roads of Decker, Encinal canyon, Latigo canyon are excellent. And if you are a risk taker Mulholland of course. Enjoy the drive [emoji106]

My old MR230 tune upped the boost to around 24psi at 3000rpm, but tune/stock turbo couldn't keep boost up past 4500 rpm. But what little additional boost was great fun though.

Still running the stock radiator, but with 60/40 water/coolant mix, and foam-rubber weatherstrip sealed factory inlet deflector ducting around radiator. (I Do have a mountune radiator ready, just in case.) Setup works, for early canyon drives. Have to keep a close eye on the AP coolant temp (borderline OCD careful) and try not drive car hard for too long over 90F temps (windows down, AC off, [hihi][poke]).

If the car was used as a DD, then yes, the mountune radiator would go in, and damn the additional weight of the aluminum radiator, weight of more coolant/water and the parasitic losses pumping coolant through a triple-pass radiator core. [facepalm] [biggrin]

Last edited: