Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going back to the stock exhaust to pass the mandatory test in Switzerland

Greetings fellow Fiesta enthousiasts,

So as the title suggests, I'll have to revert back to fully stock from a stage2 (catback, downpipe, BOV, intake, and the likes...). So since I've done all the work by myself except replacing the stock exhaust (very first mod I've ever made done by a mecanic), I was wondering if it's possible to fit the stock exhaust back in since it was cut in a certain section to remove it "easily". I am no mecanic at all (only YT tutorials and forums on my part) but I guess obviously some soldering is gonna have to be done. Can it be done ? I'll go to a mecanic for that for sure but strangely enough I've not been able to find any content about that specific stuff. Thus, I'm asking if anybody can confirm this is something that can be done. And maybe give me an idea on how it would be done, more or less exactly. Since I'll have the pass the test every 2 years, I might want to learn and do it myself in the future.

Thanks guys,
Michael (fiestastix on YT)

SteveS

1000 Post Club
If the pipe was cut, to put it back together will require making a sleeve and welding it to the existing pipe, then welding the whole thing back together.

Does your inspection allow for aftermarket exhaust pipe? If so, it should be legal by just reinstalling the catted downpipe. The rest of the exhaust just has the two mufflers and the tailpipe connected by plain pipe.

You'd have to put back your intake parts and stock tune as well, obviously.

OP
Fiestastix
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, that's what I expected mecanic-wise. Of course I'll reset everything from mods to tune to stock. In my country, getting a certificate for a catback is aroud 1k so forget it. Crazy stuff. But I guess it makes it worth it even more. I'll even have to delete my rear seat delete lol and putting in it all in basicaly 100% stock from A to Z. I have yet to figure out if they will annoy me with aftermarket pads and front rotors since I don't plan on investing on another set of stock front pads and rotors... But anyways, that sleeve you are talking about, is it relatively common practice in "aftermarket" garages. Asking because I know some mecanics in France (way cheaper), near the border but does it take lots of skills or is it pretty much a straightforwad mod with anybody with any mecanic "degree" or whatnot can pull off ? Thanks for the answer friend !!

1703914150701.png

Find this (exhaust sleeve or manchon d'échappement en français) if the area where the old exhaust was cut is straight. It will be the cheapest alternative and you'll be able to install it yourself. Welding back the old exhaust is a waste of time in my opinion.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Around here there are muffler (exhaust) shops aplenty, and if you asked them to weld together the pipe it would take them half an hour and maybe $100 and you'd be on your way.

OP
Fiestastix
Thread Starter #6
Thanks you all so much for the replies. Really helps a newbie as myself ;)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
When I was playing around with building custom exhausts, I had the shop install v-band clamps on my stock exhaust after cutting but before removing it from the car. It's made reinstallation of the stock exhaust SO much easier.

OP
Fiestastix
Thread Starter #10
When I was playing around with building custom exhausts, I had the shop install v-band clamps on my stock exhaust after cutting but before removing it from the car. It's made reinstallation of the stock exhaust SO much easier.
I'll keep this one in mind, VERY interesting concept indeed, cheers !

OP
Fiestastix
Thread Starter #12
Fast forward, I installed the exhaust sleeve and it seems to be working perfectly for now. As soon as I pass the test I'll swap my exhaust so it's basically a very short term thing BUT, I came across an "exhaust paste" while shopping for some stuff and I wondered if it's worth it, even more as a general question since I really don't think they'll be looking for the smallest leak (might be wrong though :unsure:). So I guess it'll help sealing it better but is it hard to remove afterwards ? That would be my ultimate question. Thanks fellas