Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Going to E30

I understood the question I disagreed with answers like this "The FMIC is #1 though. If you are going to jump to E30 right off the bat, you NEED that additional cooling. "

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
That's fair. NEED could be interpreted as saying it's a requirement. While that certainly isn't the case, I would highly recommend it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I would say that it boils down to the fact that it's now November 1st, so unless you live in Miami, and even then it won't be breaking 80 degrees for a while, the IC can definitely wait until Spring, it's really once the temps go above 80 is when you'll see heat soak if you pound on it over and over again no matter what tune you're on...

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sure you can wait on it, just keep in mind the stock unit heat soaks, it will rob power on repeated pulls, or high temperature locations. Do you need it? No. But it sure seems like shooting yourself in the foot to not upgrade the intercooler if you go E30.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Sure you can wait on it, just keep in mind the stock unit heat soaks, it will rob power on repeated pulls, or high temperature locations. Do you need it? No. But it sure seems like shooting yourself in the foot to not upgrade the intercooler if you go E30.
Remember, e30 doesn't run any hotter than any other tune at all, and unless you are going to make repeated multiple consecutive pulls in the summer heat, you aren't going to heat soak with the stock intercooler at all. I ran over a year that way, it literally took it being in 100 degree heatt and only after the 3rd full 3rd-4th pull did the charge temps shoot up to over 140 and then all it does is start cutting power. All you have to do is drive for a minute to cool off the IC between pulls and charge temps recover pretty quickly... hell, I made multiple passes at the drags with a very short line with just a couple of minutes in between, I had to worry FAR more about my coolant temps and had to run with my heater on full blast, hehe... But honestly the IC has helped with coolant tempss too by keeping everything running cooler, so still recommended but can absolutely enjoy for now until the heat returns.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Remember, e30 doesn't run any hotter than any other tune at all, and unless you are going to make repeated multiple consecutive pulls in the summer heat, you aren't going to heat soak with the stock intercooler at all. I ran over a year that way, it literally took it being in 100 degree heatt and only after the 3rd full 3rd-4th pull did the charge temps shoot up to over 140 and then all it does is start cutting power. All you have to do is drive for a minute to cool off the IC between pulls and charge temps recover pretty quickly... hell, I made multiple passes at the drags with a very short line with just a couple of minutes in between, I had to worry FAR more about my coolant temps and had to run with my heater on full blast, hehe... But honestly the IC has helped with coolant tempss too by keeping everything running cooler, so still recommended but can absolutely enjoy for now until the heat returns.
As someone who lives in the Miami area, I can say that for regular driving and occasional pulls an upgraded intercooler isn't super important, including drag racing. That being said, it never hurts and if you have the money and the means then go for it. Imo a RMM is a great mod no matter the circumstances.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I can't talk about charge temps on the stock IC. the IC and RMM were the first two things I did to the car, before my accessport. I never monitored it. But I can tell you going from an ATP intercooler (Garett 350whp core) to a Bravo Alpha intercooler, on the stock turbo, I saw a decrease of 20* in charge air temps. On my S280 it RARELY goes over 110 degrees.

Brianmc27

I can't talk about charge temps on the stock IC. the IC and RMM were the first two things I did to the car, before my accessport. I never monitored it. But I can tell you going from an ATP intercooler (Garett 350whp core) to a Bravo Alpha intercooler, on the stock turbo, I saw a decrease of 20* in charge air temps. On my S280 it RARELY goes over 110 degrees.
That ATP doesn’t look all that impressive to me. Unfortunate, as they’re local to me.