Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GR Corolla news

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
IF it could even be produced in, and sent over in that configuration (manual, AWD, ~300 ponies) at that price, I would consider buying my very first Nippon manufacturers', let alone Toy product, ever.

But yes, like he mentions, the stealers will be marking them up to well over $50K anyway, so eff that. [mad]

I'm sure someone will be really excited for it, but not me. The Yaris caught my attention because, like the FiST, it's a subcompact. If I wanted an AWD compact, I'd already have a focus RS, Rex, or Golf R. Read: this segment is already addressed. All that said, I suspect power figures will be down, price will be up... and we'll be lucky to see AWD... terribly pessimistic, I know, but seems to be the trend by the time cars make it to US.

Business6

More performance cars coming to the US is always something to be excited for especially in the twilight of ICE cars.

As far as I'm concerned every new performance car that lands here is a big fuck you to Ford for cancelling the ST and RS. I don't know how long I'll have the FiST because I do love it but Ford never gets a car purchase from me again.

ronmcdon

I'm sure someone will be really excited for it, but not me. The Yaris caught my attention because, like the FiST, it's a subcompact. If I wanted an AWD compact, I'd already have a focus RS, Rex, or Golf R. Read: this segment is already addressed. All that said, I suspect power figures will be down, price will be up... and we'll be lucky to see AWD... terribly pessimistic, I know, but seems to be the trend by the time cars make it to US.
Idk, I would welcome another entry into that segment if it works. Golf R has a bit of a bad rap for being a bit too cushy and not the strongest competitor performance wise. Although hope the new gen will be better. With the WRX/STi who knows if it's still ancient technology. Personally not a huge fan of Subaru myself and traded my STi in after owning it for less than 2 years.

If the GR Corrolla is AWD and its executed anywhere near the GR Yaris, this could be a real winner. Sucks its going to be probably at least 3200lbs or more but will be grateful for it.

CSM

1000 Post Club
quick updates/summary so far:
- all but confirmed the GR Yaris engine and drivetrain will be adapted to the Corolla GR
- Tuned to 300hp
- Manual at first, DCT becoming available later
- 3,500 lbs?
- Price has inflated a bit. It's expected this to be a $38-$42k car now when it comes to US market

quick updates/summary so far:
- all but confirmed the GR Yaris engine and drivetrain will be adapted to the Corolla GR
- Tuned to 300hp
- Manual at first, DCT becoming available later
- 3,500 lbs?
- Price has inflated a bit. It's expected this to be a $38-$42k car now when it comes to US market
not going to lie, for that price you aren’t far off from getting new Nissan Z... I have always loved hot hatches, ever since I saw the mid 2000s of GTI, Mazdaspeed3, overseas Focus RS, and ST. Part of what drew me to them was budget smiles and power, but getting into the $40k price range, you can get a LOT of power out of a v8 or Nissan Z for that price. Not saying the idea of a Corolla GR isn’t awesome, it really is, but there is a lot of tough competition for the consumers wallet in that price bracket, it’ll be interesting to see how it fares!

https://www.hypegarage.com/2022-nissan-400z-price-34995-z-z35-z-proto-release-date-options/

Last edited:
not going to lie, for that price you aren’t far off from getting new Nissan Z... I have always loved hot hatches, ever since I saw the mid 2000s of GTI, Mazdaspeed3, overseas Focus RS, and ST. Part of what drew me to them was budget smiles and power, but getting into the $40k price range, you can get a LOT of power out of a v8 or Nissan Z for that price. Not saying the idea of a Corolla GR isn’t awesome, it really is, but there is a lot of tough competition for the consumers wallet in that price bracket, it’ll be interesting to see how it fares!

https://www.hypegarage.com/2022-nissan-400z-price-34995-z-z35-z-proto-release-date-options/
Srsly. Maybe I'm just aging, but I'm seriously over econobox interiors, rattles and noisiness. For 42k, I'd rather get something that's a bit more premium. An M240 starts at 46 and has 2 extra cylinders. Why would you get a Corolla instead of that?

Srsly. Maybe I'm just aging, but I'm seriously over econobox interiors, rattles and noisiness. For 42k, I'd rather get something that's a bit more premium. An M240 starts at 46 and has 2 extra cylinders. Why would you get a Corolla instead of that?
Exactly, I LOVE my FiST and would buy it all over again for $12,500 or $19k new. But having a hot hatch, which generally is emphasized for budget fun going for hardly budget prices is a little interesting.
The $35-50k market has a LOT of different cars outside of hot hatches, Lotus (used, RIP), Ford Mustang GT premium, Chevy Camaro 1ss or 2ss, Nissan 370 and new Z35, and the list goes on.

either way it’ll be a cool car but it’ll be interesting to see how it sells!

I do agree with you mostly, but with a slightly different focus. My FiST is for Autcross, so this is of interest to be the next great AX car. But at 300hp it would likely be in DS car with the Type R, not the HS car I want it to be. The M240 is an FS car (E90 M3 dominated), so not a great competitor.
Also, cost of ownership on a Toyota (low) vs BMW (high), and resale value plays a large role.

ronmcdon

Oh definitely I'm interested in checking it out. don't care if it's 45k if it's executed well from the factory. Maybe not right away. Holding on to hope the Yaris might still make it. If Yaris comes out that's 100% will buy for sure.

It's not always about outright performance. There's a lot to be said with something fun and confidence inspiring. Never get bored with a well executed awd car like the Evo. Have a zl1-1le and it's not the same thing at all.

This is in part why I like the Fiesta, rotates so well on the track and a lot less understeery than most fwd i've driven. kinda reminds me of an evo sometimes.

I do agree with you mostly, but with a slightly different focus. My FiST is for Autcross, so this is of interest to be the next great AX car. But at 300hp it would likely be in DS car with the Type R, not the HS car I want it to be. The M240 is an FS car (E90 M3 dominated), so not a great competitor.
Also, cost of ownership on a Toyota (low) vs BMW (high), and resale value plays a large role.
Thanks for sharing this opinion. I was genuinely asking what other reasons would there be for buying besides maybe cost of ownership. I was seriously eyeing this Corolla to be the next car to replace the FiST, which is my auto-x car. But maybe I'm asking too much (auto-x + nicer car). Maybe it's an excuse to get a nicer daily driver :).

There are a lot of really nice daily driver cars that are great at AX. Ron Bauer in his Cayman GT4 in Python Green this weekend in Packwood was amazing, just slightly higher cost then a FiST, and not as practical. ;-)

ronmcdon

I'm with you on that. It's important to look at what you want the car for. the fiesta is cheaper to buy, run and easy on consumables. did my first autoX earlier this month and was surprised how capable it was even though I was botching things up and didn't seems to be going all that fast.

As we get older it's harder to drive with a stiff suspension and I think something like the fiesta may make more sense if it's not a daily. Really thankful that day has not come for me.

If one can afford it, the GT4 is not a bad upgrade at all for the Fiesta ST. Both are nimble and more forgiving, fun to drive on the street and track. Plus the resale cannot be beat. Would be hard to have that as your only car, but if you can afford a GT4 unlikely you can't afford getting beater for daily driving. Have been obsessing about trading in and ordering custom brewster green GT4 in past 2 years.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Yeah, for 40k I'm looking at a bigger motor and more comfortable interior.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk