Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

H&R sports best shock/strut replacements?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
I'c currently on H&R sports with my 2019 Fist and looking for a shock and strut replacements. Looks like the B6's may be the best way to for a handling/comfort compromise. The Bilsteins raising the car slightly in the front would also not be bad as the sports sit quiet low in the front. The Koni oranges would be for just straight comfort. Looking for suggestions.

B6s with Swift Spec Rs or OEM springs
B8s with Mountunes or Eibach

edit: or coil overs and be done with it if you're cool with the routine maintenance required.

that's the short story. if you want the long story...oof. good luck with that rabbit hole.

Last edited:
OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
B6s with Swift Spec Rs or OEM springs
B8s with Mountunes or Eibach

that's the short story. if you want the long story...oof. good luck with that rabbit hole.
Good enough, Do the Bilsteins raise the veh a decent amount in both the front and rear or just the front?

Good enough, Do the Bilsteins raise the veh a decent amount in both the front and rear or just the front?
couldn't tell you from personal experience. i have the B8s waiting in my basement

from what i've read (and what's published), the B6s are designed to replace the OEM shocks. Swift Spec-Rs are designed to replace the OEM springs. if there is any change in ride height, front or back, it's supposed to be minimal.

B8s are not an OEM shock replacement. they're designed to compensate for lowering spring ride height. So if you install Mountune lowering springs, the B8s will compensate for some of that lowering and raise it closer to OEM ride height. by how much varies but i do know that Mountune lowering springs lower the front more than they lower the rear. the Eibachs and the Mountunes are pretty similar from what I've read.

you can search around the forum and find exact measurements from previous posts.

edit: some people have wondered if they can match B8s with Swifts/OEM to raise their cars a little. especially if they have a fatter sidewall tire and want to mitigate rubbing. i wouldn't recommend this but there's a decent amount of people who have thrown Swifts on B8s and swear by them.

I've had the B6's with the swift spec r springs installed for about a year now and I love them. A little stiffer then stock as far as ride goes, definitely harsher at first but over time the settled very well. Dropped the car about .25 to .5 inches. Noticable difference in handling into and out of corners ( more train on tracks feel then I already had). Would definitely recommend them and or would install them again.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6
Which shocks do yall like for comfort?

Ive only had stock and the b6 swift combo. Stock was comfortable and tbh so is the b6 swift combo, I'd say it's a slightly harsher ride then stock but definitely still comfortable enough for a decent trip. I used to daily my Fist to work 26 miles one way on fun hilly twisty roads and never got out saying man that was a ruff ride. If I was going for comfort only I'd probably just stick with the OEM equipment.

Honestly after sleeping on this if you really want to make your ride more comfortable downsize your rims to size 15" or 16" and run some taller tires equivalent or close too the stock tire diameter size. When I dropped down to 15" wheels and taller tires I noticed a big difference in ride comfort.

kevinatfms

B8's and Swift Spec R springs was my setup for years and it was damn near perfect. Tracked the hell out of the car and drove it regularly on the street. Felt perfect to me. Only reason i went to coilovers was to increase the spring rate and damping to make it more track oriented/capable as body roll was starting to hamper me going faster.

B6's are factory length and should be paired with OE springs. Anything that lowers the vehicle from the Fiesta ST height should probably be paired with B8's.

Remember, the Bilstein dampers are designed for the regular Fiesta and not specifically the ST which was already .5" lower than the regular Fiesta models.

B8's and Swift Spec R springs was my setup for years and it was damn near perfect. Tracked the hell out of the car and drove it regularly on the street. Felt perfect to me. Only reason i went to coilovers was to increase the spring rate and damping to make it more track oriented/capable as body roll was starting to hamper me going faster.

B6's are factory length and should be paired with OE springs. Anything that lowers the vehicle from the Fiesta ST height should probably be paired with B8's.

Remember, the Bilstein dampers are designed for the regular Fiesta and not specifically the ST which was already .5" lower than the regular Fiesta models.
What is your ideal suspension setup for track oriented fun? If you don't mind sharing;)

kevinatfms

What is your ideal suspension setup for track oriented fun? If you don't mind sharing;)
Ideal? Money governs all. A set of Reiger Tarmac spec coilovers cost more than a high mileage car at this point. Custom dampers and springs would be the best bet but not many want to spend that dollar amount.

Track Only Car?
There are so many coilovers available that its user choice. Biggest around here seem to be KW V2/V3's, Bilstein B16's, Neomax, Suspension Techniques, KSport, Fortune Auto, ISC, Silvers, Meister R, BC Racing, AST....I have a few friends that i have tracked with and nearly everyone has a different setup.

I run HSD MonoPro's with 350/300 spring rates and its flat on track. Have them set to 9 clicks from soft up front and 10 clicks out back. As much camber/caster as possible, toe is zero but have seen some run 1/16 to 1/8 out for turn in. Still dialing mine in but i ran the same times i did with the B8/Swift setup without going balls out. It feels much more stable, very little body roll and grip is fantastic with 225/45R15 Hankook RS4s. My fast time at Summit Main is a 1:30.7 on 93 octane. Average times are 1:32s.

Dual Duty?
Bilstein B8 + Whiteline/Swift springs + Camber Plates or bolts. Eibach or Whiteline rear sway bar. I absolutely loved this setup. Compliant enough for a daily driver but can handle track events with ease. Dial rear pressure to induce oversteer.

Daily Driver?
Bilstein B8 + Whiteline/Swift springs
Comfortable enough for a daily grind with some sporting intentions. Not slammed like alot of lowering springs. It will stuff the camber into the -1.5 to -1.7 range on tolerances alone. Add camber bolts to get more than -2.0 if needed.

THIS IS MY OPINION AND OTHERS MAY FIND DIFFERENTLY. PLEASE TAKE ALL AVAILABLE INFORMATION FROM AS MANY SOURCES AS POSSIBLE TO GAUGE YOUR NEEDS FOR SUSPENSION SETUP.
Just to make sure as alot of people track these cars and it everyone will have a differing setup on how they like the car to feel on track.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Don't the Whiteline springs slam the car more than the Spec Rs do?

The Whitelines are progressive, and not linear as well, correct?

kevinatfms

Don't the Whiteline springs slam the car more than the Spec Rs do?

The Whitelines are progressive, and not linear as well, correct?
They are advertised at 1.2". With the Bilsteins i would bet it would be close to 1" total. My Swifts barely lowered an inch with the B8's when i had them installed.

IIRC, the front is linear and the rear progressive.

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I just did the the B8's on the front with the H&R and it is dog doo doo. To soft....the car seems to much roll and with my 1552 turbomacs it rubs like crazy with a 215/40-17 falken. The weird thing is it rubs more after the B8 strut install than before which leads me to believe the B8's might actually lower it a lil. Going back to the Mountune springs I had before the H&R. This seems to be the go to setup but the Mountunes just didn't lower as much but probably keep the control arms at the appropriate at angle.

Ideal? Money governs all. A set of Reiger Tarmac spec coilovers cost more than a high mileage car at this point. Custom dampers and springs would be the best bet but not many want to spend that dollar amount.

Track Only Car?
There are so many coilovers available that its user choice. Biggest around here seem to be KW V2/V3's, Bilstein B16's, Neomax, Suspension Techniques, KSport, Fortune Auto, ISC, Silvers, Meister R, BC Racing, AST....I have a few friends that i have tracked with and nearly everyone has a different setup.

I run HSD MonoPro's with 350/300 spring rates and its flat on track. Have them set to 9 clicks from soft up front and 10 clicks out back. As much camber/caster as possible, toe is zero but have seen some run 1/16 to 1/8 out for turn in. Still dialing mine in but i ran the same times i did with the B8/Swift setup without going balls out. It feels much more stable, very little body roll and grip is fantastic with 225/45R15 Hankook RS4s. My fast time at Summit Main is a 1:30.7 on 93 octane. Average times are 1:32s.

Dual Duty?
Bilstein B8 + Whiteline/Swift springs + Camber Plates or bolts. Eibach or Whiteline rear sway bar. I absolutely loved this setup. Compliant enough for a daily driver but can handle track events with ease. Dial rear pressure to induce oversteer.

Daily Driver?
Bilstein B8 + Whiteline/Swift springs
Comfortable enough for a daily grind with some sporting intentions. Not slammed like alot of lowering springs. It will stuff the camber into the -1.5 to -1.7 range on tolerances alone. Add camber bolts to get more than -2.0 if needed.

THIS IS MY OPINION AND OTHERS MAY FIND DIFFERENTLY. PLEASE TAKE ALL AVAILABLE INFORMATION FROM AS MANY SOURCES AS POSSIBLE TO GAUGE YOUR NEEDS FOR SUSPENSION SETUP.
Just to make sure as alot of people track these cars and it everyone will have a differing setup on how they like the car to feel on track.
I'm kind of a hybrid of the Daily and the Double duty set up. I love the swifts on b8, comfortable around town, but pitching it into hard turns and building up compression is nice and predictable, locks in good, compliant with uneven surfaces, and doesn't get too up set. I have stock front sway bar, but eiback 21mm in the rear to get the car to rotate a bit more. On the fence with rear camber plates and front bolts. If i stick to autox days, probably front camber, no rear. If I can afford some track time I'll probably put the rear camber places in for more high speed stability.